05 August 2012: 50 years ago today, iconic American actress Marilyn Monroe died

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Good article remembering MM, in the L.A. Times:

Marilyn Monroe: People who knew her recall the real person
Once upon a time, before she was the ultimate screen sex symbol, before she became an icon and source material for generations of writers and artists, Marilyn Monroe was a working actress.

She died 50 years ago this Sunday at the age of 36 from an overdose and in the intervening years the actual person has disappeared behind the myth of "Marilyn Monroe."
---
the rest at the link

Just watched "Some Like it Hot" yesterday. I am decorating my living room Old Hollywood and am filling it with Marilyn pictures. There is such a mystery about her death. Does anyone have a good timeline of her last days and the hours after her death? I should buy a book. Anyone have suggestions?

What really happened to Marilyn???

Photo by Richard Avedon. This is my fav photo of Marilyn. He saw beneath the manufactored persona of Marilyn Monroe and gave us a glimpse of Norma Jean underneath.

“For hours she danced and sang and flirted and did this thing that’s—she did Marilyn Monroe,” Avedon said later, adding that the white wine helped things along. “Then there was the inevitable drop … she sat in the corner like a child, with everything gone.” And he clicked his shutter once more. “I wouldn’t photograph her without her knowledge of it. And as I came with the camera, I saw that she was not saying no.” The resultant final frame is among the most famous portraits ever made—one that is, as the photographer Vik Muniz neatly put it, “a picture of Norma Jean, not Marilyn.”

http://nymag.com/news/features/31523/

She's still worshipped as an icon and we still don't know exactly who Norma Jean was...

RIP.

Attachments

• Marilyn.jpg
    Marilyn.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 10
Fifty years after her death, rare, unpublished photographs of Hollywood icon Marilyn Monroe have been put on display at a gallery in Warsaw.

Marilyn Monroe is still a style icon, even half a century after her untimely death
The collection of 3,780 photographs by Milton H. Greene, which had been stored for over a decade, was transferred to the Polish government in 1995 as part of a settlement in an embezzlement case involving a US businessman.
The exhibition titled 'Marilyn Monroe's Hollywood' shows only 60 photographs, taking up a few rooms of the Association's gallery in Warsaw's old town, and will be on display until the whole collection is sold at an open auction.

article-2184790-146C2069000005DC-673_306x313.jpg

Photos to be found at this link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆