CA - Boy Scout files reveal repeat child abuse

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...11b2e4-df29-11e1-8d48-2b1243f34c85_story.html

LOS ANGELES — Internal documents from the Boy Scouts of America reveal more than 125 cases in which men suspected of molestation allegedly continued to abuse Scouts, despite a blacklist meant to protect boys from sexual predators.

A Los Angeles Times review (http://lat.ms/OT9zx5) of more than 1,200 files from 1970 to 1991 found suspected abusers regularly remained in the organization after officials were first presented with sexual misconduct allegations.

Predators moved from troop to troop because of clerical errors, computer glitches or the Scouts’ failure to check the blacklist, known as the “perversion files,” the newspaper said.

More at link....

Thanks, Reader. At the risk of sounding trite it certainly seems like another cover-up and turn the other way which we are starting to get used to...sadly enough.

From your link=
In at least 50 cases, the Scouts expelled suspected abusers, only to discover they had re-entered the organization and were accused of molesting again.
In other cases, officials failed to document reports of abuse in the first place, letting offenders stay in the program until new allegations came to light, the Times reported.

This frustrates me to no end. Pedophiles are found where children are found. Teachers, coaches, physicians, religious leaders, daycare workers....and Boy Scout volunteers. No organization is going to protect your child as well as yourself. There just isnt any room for error here, and that makes it really really hard as a parent to decide what to do when it comes to activities where your child is being supervised by another adult. :( If the offender has never been caught or charged, a CORI check isnt going to protect your child from them.

And this is in one State? One? What the heck was going on around the rest of the country?

:banghead::banghead::banghead:How many victims?

Boy Scouts release 20 years of 'perversion' files (AP/Huffington Post)
A trove of some 14,500 pages from the Boy Scouts' so-called "perversion files" have been made public, and the files show that on numerous occasions local officials helped cover up abuse allegations.
---
The documents show that in many instances the files succeeded in keeping pedophiles out of Scouting, but many times they did not.
---
more at the link

"Perversion files" show locals helped cover up

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L2_UNEWS

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Again and again, decade after decade, an array of authorities — police chiefs, prosecutors, pastors and local Boy Scout leaders among them — quietly shielded scoutmasters and others accused of molesting children, a newly opened trove of confidential papers shows.

At the time, those authorities justified their actions as necessary to protect the good name and good works of Scouting, a pillar of 20th century America. But as detailed in 14,500 pages of secret "perversion files" released Thursday by order of the Oregon Supreme Court, their maneuvers allowed sexual predators to go free while victims suffered in silence.............

Victims like three brothers, growing up in northeast Louisiana.

On the afternoon of Aug. 10, 1965, their distraught mother walked into the third floor of the Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office. A 31-year-old scoutmaster, she told the chief criminal deputy, had raped one of her sons and molested two others.

Six days later, the scoutmaster, an unemployed airplane mechanic, sat down in front of a microphone in the same station, said he understood his rights and confessed: He had sexually abused the woman's sons more than once............

The last sliver of hope for justice for the abuse of two teenagers and an 11-year-old boy slipped away in a confidential letter from a Louisiana Scouts executive to the organization's national personnel division in New Jersey.

"This subject and Scouts were not prosecuted," the executive wrote, "to save the name of Scouting."

More at link.....

Suspected abusers from all over the country are named in the files — many of them never reported to police or charged with a crime. Doctors, lawyers, politicians and policemen are among the accused and many are about to face public exposure for the first time.

The Times is incorporating the files released Thursday into its own online database, which contains information on nearly 5,000 such cases spanning 1947 to January 2005. The database offers a complete record of files opened during that period except for an unknown number of files that have been purged by the Scouts over the years. More than 300 cases involve someone with ties to a troop or unit in California.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-scouts-oregon-20121019,0,5468251.story

45 From Mass. On Boy Scout ‘Perversion Files’

http://www.wbur.org/2012/10/19/massachusetts-boy-scouts-perversion

...........Not all of the Massachusetts men listed in the records were charged with a crime, but at least two on the list were later convicted of rape.

According to The Boston Globe, Donn Krugar was convicted of indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14 in 1982. WCVB-TV confirms Edward Brown was convicted of rape and abuse of a child in 1984.

Carmen Durso, a Massachusetts attorney who has represented sex abuse clients for 30 years, says many on the list will not face charges, but the Boy Scouts could still be sued...........more at link.....

Boy Scout files reveal 90 cases of alleged sexual abuse in Maryland

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...perversion-files-boy-scout-files-sexual-abuse

Boy Scout files detail local sex abuse (Chicago)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-boyscout-perversion-20121019,0,2429580.story

I found a file involving a Scoutmaster in my former hometown.

The events in question were somewhat "uncovered" just a few months before my family moved there in 1974.

I recognize the Assistant Scoutmasters from the troop and two of the committee members.

The man in question had also been a teacher at the high school. He lost his job and his state teaching certification because of the sexual abuse.

Unsurprisingly, missing from the file are any criminal complaints.

At the least, 13 boys acknowledged sexual abuse by the Scoutmaster.

Small town, so I'm certain I would know most of them. I suspect I probably dated one of them.

I don't recall ever hearing anything about it, but I would reckon it was talked about in a "hush-hush" whispered manner.

Go figure as to why I did not report my own contemporary sexual abuse in that community.

ETA: The specifics of my abuse created other factors as to why I did not report it, but my perception as to how it would have been dealt with (or un-dealt with) in the community was certainly an important factor for me.

To their credit, the school board in that community terminated the teacher's employment immediately when they learned of the abuses and reported him to the state agency.

I also found the name of a former co-worker in the Boy Scout pedo database. The case was from back in the late 70's and the perp was an executive at the company I worked for back then. :what:

He was never reported to police, nor did anyone in the community hear about it. He was still employed where I worked a couple years later. Not sure, but I think he ended up retiring several years later when our employer merged with another company. Apparently, my employer never knew of his pedo history, at least I hope they didn't.

My co-worker fit much of the stereotypical profile. He was very quiet, kept to himself - a real loner who never got in trouble, did his job, behaved in a professional manner. But he wasn't a friendly person, nor was he outgoing.

The BSA apparently felt they were taking the most appropriate action against these creeps, but time and again, most of them re-offended. According to some profiles in the LA Times articles, several from California who were kicked out of BSA later rejoined and continued to molest kids.

The Oregonian article about the recent file release.

Article contains a helpful historical timeline.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...erversion_files_off.html#incart_river_default

2011: Boy Scouts require suspected abuse to be reported to local authorities.

2011?

smh

Right on the ball weren't they? [NOT]

Thanks...interesting article and timeline...I notice they only required a report to authorities be made after this happened:

2010: Kerry Lewis -- molested as a boy in the 1980s by an assistant Scoutmaster from Portland, Timur Dykes -- wins a $19.9 million jury verdict against the Scouts. Lewis later accepts an undisclosed settlement to avoid a lengthy court battle if the Scouts had appealed the verdict.

Here is the COMPLETE list in handy spreadsheet format:

http://tinyurl.com/bsaperverts

I am in the process of creating a wiki for this list. It will include the basic information, but will be expanded to show ALL their former charges. IN addition, I will be creating a section where prosecutors and other law enforcement personnel's contact information will be provided, including work numbers, emails, etc. I will be providing media contact information for the particular jurisdiction as well, particularly print and TV contacts.

I'm also completing a rap sheet extracted from the files themselves. Finally, I will be providing a method in which current prosecution efforts are being highlighted. If a prosecutor does NOT wish to investigate, I will be providing a method in detailing why such investigation is being terminated. If necessary, I will provide the date of the next election so we can provide his opponents with the information about the refusal of not prosecuting the perps.

I will be providing a complete section for current charges, including pending court dates, and finally, verdicts of the charges.

Finally, I will open up editing to anyone who wishes to pursue it.

I will NOT rest until all the perps have been thoroughly investigated and preferably thrown in prison.

Happy sleuthing and get these perps brought to justice.

MODS: You may wish to sticky the link above for easier access.

EDIT: It appears that I won't be able to easily make the wiki. There are legal problems associated with hosting such files, because in sleuthing them actively may open up the wiki site for problems, and they would shut down the site real fast. So what I may need to do is to create my own offshore site, then use a tool that will allow for the same collaboration. It will take awhile, but in the meantime, you can certainly do your own sleuthing here by downloading the PDF for pertinent perps.

IMO there should be hefty and mandatory felony-level sentences for pedos in general... and harsher sentences still for those proven to have targetted careers and voluntary positions that would bring them into direct contact with children.

These sick creatures NEED to be discouraged from choosing those careers and services in which we place our children, positions where we should be able to assume safety for our kids. Employers and organisation leaders who fail to do a thorough background check on employees/volunteers NEED to be heavily fined or even imprisoned for neglecting their duty of care to the children they put at risk..

Otherwise, every facility that hosts your kids, my kids, everyone's kids is a pedo heaven, and a pile of horrible crimes and damaged children just waiting to happen.

I dread, just dread to think how many of these disgusting criminals have chosen careers as missionaries, teachers, sports coaches, scout masters... How many are out there, right now, enjoying their jobs without a thought for the destruction, grief and agony they cause.

Death's way too good for 'em. JMO.

Former NC scoutmaster admits he molested boys

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=19121249&ps=1011&cat=&cps=0&lang=en&page=1

MONROE, N.C. (AP) — Former scoutmaster Thomas J. Menghi Jr. says he was usually drunk when he molested numerous Boy Scouts during the early 1970s.

He was in his late 20s, living in a Fayetteville motel and working as Tupperware deliveryman. He invited boys from Troop 786 as young as 11 years old to ride with him along his route, requesting that they spend the night in his room so they could get an early start.

"Yes, I abused kids," Menghi, now 69, said in an interview Wednesday with The Associated Press. "But just how many and other details I can't remember. It was a long time ago and I was in a fog."

Menghi's file is just one among 14,500 pages of "perversion files" compiled by the Boy Scouts of America between 1959 to 1985 and made public last week by court order.

His file details the way local Scout officials investigated the allegations and removed him from the organization, but failed to report crimes to law enforcement. In Menghi's case, even some parents were not told that their children could have been victims..............more at link.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back