Egg Yolks as Bad As Smoking?

21merc7

Reaction score
Egg yolks are bad for you again.

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-egg-cholesterol-smoking-20120814,0,1391259.story

The study, published Tuesday in the journal Atherosclerosis, measured the carotid wall thickness -- a key indicator of heart disease risk -- of 1,231 patients referred to a vascular prevention clinic, and asked each to detail a wide range of their health habits, from smoking and exercise to their consumption of egg yolks. Just as smoking is often tallied as "pack-years" (the number of cigarette packs smoked per day for how many years), egg-yolk consumption was tallied as "egg yolk years" (the number of egg yolks consumed per week times the number of years they were eaten).

Smoking tobacco and eating egg yolks increased carotid wall thickness in similar fashion -- which is to say, the rate of increase accelerated with each stair-step up in cigarette smoking or yolk consumption. By contrast, for those who did not smoke, or who rarely consumed egg yolks, carotid wall thickness increased after 40, but at a slow-steady rate.

For those whose consumption of whole eggs was in the highest 20%, the narrowing of the carotid artery was on average about two-thirds that of the study's heaviest smokers.

According to my calculations, I should have been dead years ago. Maybe the red wine is keeping me alive.

According to my calculations, I should have been dead years ago. Maybe the red wine is keeping me alive.

:floorlaugh:

LOL! You and me both ~n/t~!

IMO, egg yolks are not as bad as smoking because egg yolks are not addictive like cigarettes are.

wm

Actually, egg yolks may well be addictive. Dairy products and meat form opiate compounds in the body (as do sugar, sugar+fat and chocolate), which is why people find it so hard to even imagine stopping eating animal products, or stick to any kind of healthy eating routine they're trying to do. They get physical cravings for certain foods, especially cheese and sugar. The opiate compounds go into the oxytocin receptors in the vagus nerve, which makes fat people feel a sense of love when they gorge. They get withdrawal symptoms when they don't eat addictive foods, and mistake this for feeling ill or miserable. Since other animal products produce opiate compounds in the body, I can't remember if eggs were included, but it would surprise me if eggs were the odd one out and non-addictive. When my brother switched to a plant-based diet he said the last thing he stopped thinking about was fried eggs.

Guess broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, avocados, kiwis, berries, apples, pears, etc. must have opiates too... :angel:

I'd mention fish and other seafood but that would dilute my point. ;)

:D My doc is like a kid at Christmas when he sees my cholesterol numbers that he claims are the best of any of his patients. He attributes my success to the use of olive oil in cooking and drinking "a glass" of red wine with my dinner. "A glass" of red wine? Yeah, right. ;)

BTW: I've never smoked in my life! I like eggs for breakfast when someone else cooks them. I mostly use eggs for baking.

All right, dang it. All this talk about red wine is getting to me. Is white wine just as good, pink maybe? I only like red on occasion in cold weather, oh, maybe I could convert to sangria with no sugar, just fruit and some juice.

No, need to know if white wine is good for the heart too. I've only been eating egg whites since they first declared yolks bad, then change their minds. Also eat a lot of cabbage, broccoli, spinach, blah, blah, blah. But red wine makes my mouth so dry! (Not a glass a day kind of drinker here either, more like a bunch of glasses on the weekends. Have to make up for lost time and all.) :D

All right, dang it. All this talk about red wine is getting to me. Is white wine just as good, pink maybe? I only like red on occasion in cold weather, oh, maybe I could convert to sangria with no sugar, just fruit and some juice.

No, need to know if white wine is good for the heart too. I've only been eating egg whites since they first declared yolks bad, then change their minds. Also eat a lot of cabbage, broccoli, spinach, blah, blah, blah. But red wine makes my mouth so dry! (Not a glass a day kind of drinker here either, more like a bunch of glasses on the weekends. Have to make up for lost time and all.) :D

I think it's something in the red wine that is not in the white wine.

Red wine, in moderation, has long been thought of as heart healthy. The alcohol and certain substances in red wine called antioxidants may help prevent heart disease by increasing levels of "good" cholesterol and protecting against artery damage.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089/

While dark chocolate has been shown to improve moods, lower bad cholesterol and even help people lose weight, the saturated fats and sugar content have outweighed the benefits — until now.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...ats-article-1.1135982?localLinksEnabled=false

Red Wine and Chocolate. Who needs eggs? I'm good.

While it's true that many red wines have a dry mouth feel, there are many that are lighter, fruitier, sweeter, and gentler to the palate. Pinot Noirs, for example, are much lighter than, say, Cabernet Sauvignons that are bold and not particularly pleasant to drink unless they accompany a juicy steak.

Visit your local wine shop and speak to someone who is an expert on the subject. A sommelier can recommend a vintage that will not be overly imposing or too dry for your palate.

Cheers! :toastred:

This is a really misleading headline. (Shocked, I am SHOCKED!) :)

The story indicates that eggs have artery hardening effects similar to those of smoking, but to then extrapolate that eggs are as harmful as smoking is to ignore all of the additional harmful side-effects of smoking. Eggs are high in cholesterol, but this is hardly a fair comparison if we're not going to examine all of the additional ways that smoking can harm you. Even if you inhale them, eggs probably won't give you lung cancer.

I wish that I could take the credit for this, but it was among the comments on this story from a local TV station:

"Great. Now I suppose waitresses will be whining about the effects of second hand yolk."

I wish that I could take the credit for this, but it was among the comments on this story from a local TV station:

"Great. Now I suppose waitresses will be whining about the effects of second hand yolk."

There is definite proof that egg yolks are not bad. They turn into chickens, after all. And who doesn't love chickens, either on a plate, in the yard, or in country art? :D

Seriously, the only problem I have with eating eggs (yolks and whites both) is if I think about what they are.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks
Back