West of Memphis

Cappuccino

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfu4Venq99k"]West of Memphis - Trailer HD - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, Michael Carson, what did you say? :what::woohoo:

I suppose the police and prosecutors involved in this case will still try and claim that the DNA evdence is all smoke and mirrors..Pfft.

And since they took Alford pleas The State will not try to find who did it.

The person who killed those three litlle kids is still out there....

Alford plea be damned, the state of Arkansas needs to see that justice is done.

The ending of that article is very sad IMO.
"Then, in his book, Mr. Echols criticized Mr. Baldwin for not immediately accepting the deal, saying Mr. Baldwin had grown to love prison and was acting as if he was morally superior.

That hurt Mr. Baldwin, who initially did not want to admit to something he says he did not do, preferring to take a chance on an upcoming hearing to examine new evidence that would have probably included DNA samples and charges of juror misconduct.

But as the short timeline on the offer approached, he became convinced that Mr. Echols would not survive much longer.

“I didn’t take the deal for me,” he said. “I took it for Damien.”

The two currently are not speaking. Those around them hope the rift will heal."

I probably wouldn't ever talk to him again.

The ending of that article is very sad IMO.
"Then, in his book, Mr. Echols criticized Mr. Baldwin for not immediately accepting the deal, saying Mr. Baldwin had grown to love prison and was acting as if he was morally superior.

That hurt Mr. Baldwin, who initially did not want to admit to something he says he did not do, preferring to take a chance on an upcoming hearing to examine new evidence that would have probably included DNA samples and charges of juror misconduct.

But as the short timeline on the offer approached, he became convinced that Mr. Echols would not survive much longer.

“I didn’t take the deal for me,” he said. “I took it for Damien.”

The two currently are not speaking. Those around them hope the rift will heal."

I probably wouldn't ever talk to him again.

That is sad. But how many of us have the same friends at 35 that we had at 17, even without the pressures of prison and death row?

i am interested to see 'west of memphis' - i don't post a lot, but am sure you all have seen from my posts that i believe the WM3 to be guilty. i am really looking, reading, being as openminded as possible - but i am still not convinced, at all, that the WM3 are innocent.

have watched all 3 of the 'lost' documentaries, read the 1st devils knot book, the 'blood of innocents' book, and have read every thread on this site. have also spent hours reading the transcripts @ www callahan - i am just NOT seeing/feeling any warm fuzzies for these 3 guys. to me - it seems like the cops had the bad guys right where they belonged.

will be interesting to watch/read what happens going forward. frankly ... i'm not seeing exonerations flying around anytime soon.

but i am trying to keep an open mind. those 3 little boys deserve justice.

60e59ec1401cab8bb7901bef2cb8.jpg

Johnny Depp with Damien Echols at the premiere of West of Memphis at the Toronto Film Festival.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...n-to-lend-support-to-west-of-memphis-premiere

Damien Echols "went through hell" to get permission to come to Canada to join his pal and advocate Johnny Depp at TIFF for the premiere of the documentary about his case, West of Memphis.

"The U.S. still shows that I still have three counts of murder on my criminal record," Echols told a TIFF press conference Saturday. "So I have to go through all of these extraordinary measures that the average person wouldn't have to."

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/08/depp-on-a-crusade-with-west-of-memphis

Contrary to popular belief, I think that Damien might still be a little uncomfortable in large crowds. Remember, he was incarcerated for over 18 years, and he has said in interviews that he has trouble dealing with crowds. Maybe that's what you're seeing here that is off-putting. Just a thought.

Contrary to popular belief, I think that Damien might still be a little uncomfortable in large crowds. Remember, he was incarcerated for over 18 years, and he has said in interviews that he has trouble dealing with crowds. Maybe that's what you're seeing here that is off-putting. Just a thought.
Plus, all still photos are a moment in Time. We don't know the full context. It would be intersesting to know what had just happened/said.

JMO but the polarizing issue of whether one believes the WM3 to be guilty or innocent is likely to color one's reaction, unless someone is truly objective or tries to isolate their bias.

Also, I often wonder if some that assume guilt really understand the Alford plea that was taken.

Hard for me to complain about a photo of Johnny Depp. ;)

Plus, all still photos are a moment in Time. We don't know the full context. It would be intersesting to know what had just happened/said.

JMO but the polarizing issue of whether one believes the WM3 to be guilty or innocent is likely to color one's reaction, unless someone is truly objective or tries to isolate their bias.

Also, I often wonder if some that assume guilt really understand the Alford plea that was taken.

Hard for me to complain about a photo of Johnny Depp. ;)

You're exactly right about that "moment in time" thing! Quite a few politicians and at least one Prince have been caught unawares in such a moment! And, for my money, you're right about biases. People see what they want to see.

Looks like a powerful movie!
IMHO, besides the lack of physical evidence, the recantations of so many people's testimony is the thing that makes it true to me. As you age, you develop more of a reason to tell the truth. When you're young, you'd lie just to be cool. rebellious or foolish! I believe these people were twisted and turned and psychologically coerced into saying what the police/lawyers wanted them to say and once it was on paper, they felt like an animal in a cage.. not being able to go back for fear of perjury charges... Misskelley included! Now that they are adults, they see how wrong it was and don't feel the need to be afraid of this "authority" anymore and want to purge themselves of this burden weighing heavy on their hearts...
ETA: Glad they got it on film since they may never have a chance to recant in court.. :sigh:

I believe they are innocent-but this picture of Damien just rubs me the wrong way..don't ask me why-it just does!!!

He looks smug to me, but if you've ever seen or been around a true convict this is how they stand. Arms in front, feet apart, head cocked back. They all look smug and arrogent, imo. Learned behavior. It probably comes natural to him at this point. IMO

There has always been something about DE that has bothered me. Not sure if he's guilty or not, but I tend to lean towards him alone being guilty. I've read everything there is to read and even though some evidence points elsewhere..something about him makes me so uneasy. I wonder how his wife is adjusting to him being home? Is it everything she thought it would be?

Again, people see what they want to see. As to the marriage, AFAIK, everything is great. I've heard nothing about any rift between Damien and Lorri, much to the chagrin of the nons! Believe me, if there were trouble in the marriage, it would be all over Facebook and Twitter and who knows where else? They might even re-institute The Hoax to report that. The strain on their marriage from all of the public pressure must be enormous.

Of course, over half of the marriages in this country end in divorce. So, if their marriage fails, that doesn't prove that Damien was guilty. There's been too much of that kind of thing in this case already, like with Exhibit 500. "Ooh, Damien had problems as a teen. He must be a murderer." That's crazy logic, just as it would be crazy to assume that, should the marriage fail, it would be because Damien killed Christopher, Michael and Stevie. It simply doesn't follow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back