Mom seeks heart transplant for autistic son

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
I hope Mrs. Corby is successful in her quest on behalf of her son.

PHILADELPHIA | A Pennsylvania woman whose autistic adult son was not recommended for a heart transplant said she wants to bring more attention to the decision-making process so that those with ailments or disabilities are not passed over without careful consideration.

Karen Corby said Thursday that her son, Paul, now 23, was denied a heart transplant from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania last summer over what it said were concerns about his "psychiatric issues" and "autism," among other factors...

...Paul Corby was recommended for the procedure because he was born with left ventricular noncompaction, a congenital disorder that left part of his heart less able to pump blood through his body. He was diagnosed with the ailment in 2008. He was referred to Penn Medicine in 2011 to discuss a transplant.

In a letter, dated June 13, 2011, Dr. Susan Brozena wrote: "I have recommended against transplant given his psychiatric issues, autism, the complexity of the process, multiple procedures and the unknown and unpredictable effect of steroids on behavior."

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/mo...cle_cde0cee4-b18d-50f8-b5c2-f7c77502031d.html

Paul Corby initially took the decision well, but has since grown so depressed that his mother worries about how he’d react to another rejection.

“At first he was OK with it because he thought, ‘At least I don’t have to go through that surgery,’” his mother said, “and then he thought, ‘Why not? Why don’t they like me?’ “

Paul Corby’s situation is a window into the complex decisions that patients and doctors face when vital organs begin to fail. Organ transplantation is one of the few areas of modern medicine with overt and unavoidable rationing. There simply are not enough donated organs to go around, so doctors must make life-and-death choices. Nationally, 331 people died while waiting for heart transplants last year.

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2012/08/14/claim-heart-transplant-autism/16251/

ds120814_autism_transplant.jpg

Paul Corby

I found out about this story because I was sent a letter from his mom about a petition that she has on change.org. I know we are not allowed to post links asking for signatures and such but there is a petition there if people are interested in signing it. It is titled "Help my autistic son get a life-saving heart transplant" by Karen Corby.
I am a stepgrandma to beautiful little boy with autism and I would be devastated if we were unable to get him the medical treatment that he needed in order to live. He brings us so much joy and is the type of child who is always smiling and laughing despite his medical issues.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back