Echols vs. Baldwin

Cappuccino

Reaction score
http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/08/21/echols-blasts-baldwin-in-new-book

We got an advance copy of Damien Echols' new book "Life After Death" (due Sep. 18 from Blue Rider Press) the other day, and probably shouldn't have read the ending first. That's because at the end of the book Echols unceremoniously throws fellow WM3'er Jason Baldwin and Baldwin's defense team under the bus.

Baldwin, you'll remember, briefly made a principled stand against accepting the Alford Plea, in which the three pled guilty to murder while maintaining their innocence, because it wouldn't fully exonerate the WM3. He eventually gave in at the urging of Echols' supporters, who got word to Baldwin that Echols was in ill health on Death Row.

An Aug. 17 story in the New York Times on the one-year anniversary of the men’s release said that Baldwin and Echols aren't speaking because of the way Baldwin — who said in a press conference just after his release that he agreed to the plea to save Echols’ life — is portrayed in Echols' book.

There's a response from Jason's lawyers at the end of the article, and here's Jason's response..

As most of you already know, this past year began with a tremendously difficult decision for me and those around me. I am not entirely aware of what went on before the Alford plea was brought to me and to my incredibly dedicated and hard-working attorneys, Blake Hendrix and John Philipsborn. So I can only say I originally turned down the deal after Blake explained it in-depth to me the evening after he first learned of it. I maintained from the start that Damien, Jessie and I are innocent, and though I know nothing was certain, I believe we stood a good chance of that fact being proven in court. Being fully informed of all the ramifications of both choices, I decided I did not want to plead guilty with the possibility of complete exoneration so close at hand.

Ultimately, I changed my mind for Damien and Jessie and their families. I gave no real credence to the idea that I wouldn’t be supported if I chose to stay in while Damien and Jessie walked free (which was not an option anyway). The truth is, I am fortunate enough that both of my parents are still in good health, and I could have survived another couple of years. But I knew that even when we were exonerated, it was likely that Damien’s mother and Jessie’s father—perhaps even Damien himself—wouldn’t be alive to see it. I couldn't make that decision for them, and that is why I took the deal, after Holly and I both spent the few short days we were given agonizing over this impossible choice.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=459598564074948&id=145944238773717

This makes me extremely sad.Jason has amazing character and he is such a hero.
Damien has a big head and he needs to realize how much gratitude he owes to Jason.
Apparently it's not Jason not speaking to Damien,which I think would be understandable,it's Damien not speaking to Jason because he does not like the way he's being portrayed in "Devil's Knot"
Jason states his door is always open and he's hoping for a reconciliation.

Damien has a big head and he needs to realize how much gratitude he owes to Jason.
Apparently it's not Jason not speaking to Damien,which I think would be understandable,it's Damien not speaking to Jason because he does not like the way he's being portrayed in "Devil's Knot"

But I just saw them both on CNN, in a live interview with that English guy, and they were getting along fine. They seemed to be very close actually.

With Piers Morgan? Are you sure it was live, they did an interview with him ages ago.

I sincerely hope that Jason and Damien can mend their rift. Friends do have disagreements from time to time. Their disagreement doesn't change the fact that they (and Jessie) are innocent of the murders of Christopher, Michael and Stevie and that the murderer is still (and has been since May 5, 1993) walking free.

ETA: Jason's response was very touching.

My daughter ordered the book and is currently reading. I will do so when she is finished. This case fascinates me.

ITA-He has been told over & over how intelligent he is and takes it to a level where-(I believe) he thinks people should listen to only him & not bother with Jason or Jessie MOO!All 3 of them went through HELL-not just Damien!!
Where are all the pic of Jason & Jessie with JD & all the other celebs?
If I had a choice of meeting any of them-I would pick Jason & Jessie
I could care a less about Damien-He has rubbed me the wrong since he got out!! I want to make it clear-I believe them to be innocent to!!

First, let me make one thing clear. If I had my 'druthers, Damien would not have said what he said about Jason. However, I think the bottom line is that this is for Damien and Jason to work out between themselves. What's that old adage? "Least said, easiest mended." I think that the public should stay out of this and let them work it out.

all 3 of them have very different experiences of what happened to them, all 3 have differing versions of events from there perspective, not one of them can say this is the definitive story of the WM3,

so they have to accept that what one says happened may not concur with what they recall as happening,

I expect over time we shall see more criticism and arguing amongst them as they try to ensure that the story is told that is most favourable to them and there recollection,

First, I don't think Jessie will argue. He's just glad to be home with his dad, or rather home in West Memphis. (or is it Marion? I get confused!) I think that, eventually, Damien and Jason will "make up" with each other. They've been life long friends, so I doubt that relationship will end over petty bickering.

First, let me make one thing clear. If I had my 'druthers, Damien would not have said what he said about Jason. However, I think the bottom line is that this is for Damien and Jason to work out between themselves. What's that old adage? "Least said, easiest mended." I think that the public should stay out of this and let them work it out.

If they don't want the public in their business, they need to keep their business out of public. None of them have made the slightest contribution to society. They pled guilty. It is pathetic.

They would love to keep their business out of the public, but the public seems to want to know their every move. As to contributing to society, they were all three teenagers when they were incarcerated. Jessie is now training to be an auto mechanic. Jason is enrolled in college and wants to go to law school. Damien has written one book (in prison) and has another to be released later this month. I'm sure that he will continue with his writing. Give them a chance to contribute. After all, they've only been free for less than 13 months.

Good points! Recently saw an interview with Damien and his wife. One thing disturbed me.......that Damien does not seem to understand that his strange behaviour during the trial was inappropriate to the situation. Plus writing books and having TV interviews is NOT indicative of someone who wants the public out of his business

Good points! Recently saw an interview with Damien and his wife. One thing disturbed me.......that Damien does not seem to understand that his strange behaviour during the trial was inappropriate to the situation. Plus writing books and having TV interviews is NOT indicative of someone who wants the public out of his business

Damien has said in several different interviews that he recognizes how his behavior at the trial contributed to a misperception of who he really is and therefore contributed to his conviction. So, he does realize that the behavior was inappropriate to the situation. As to writing and giving interviews belying the desire to remain a private person, he is working for exoneration and feels that the only way it will happen is to keep the case before the public. I imagine that, once exoneration is achieved, Damien will attempt to blend into society as much as possible. There are plenty of authors who are prolific writers but who value their privacy. Stephen King comes to mind. So, given the chance, I believe that Damien would much prefer to be a very private person. Right now, as part of the struggle for exoneration, he can't.

http://deadspin.com/5947978/i-had-t...e-west-memphis-three-on-life-in-deaths-shadow

I Had The Best Cell On Death Row: A Member Of The West Memphis Three On Life In The Shadow Of Execution
Damien Echols

In 1994, Damien Echols and two of his friends, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley, were wrongfully convicted in what prosecutors called a satanic ritual murder of three 8-year-old boys. Echols, the leader of the group, was sentenced to death; Baldwin and Misskelley received life sentences. The trio became known as the West Memphis Three, and their cause was taken up by the likes of Johnny Depp and Eddie Vedder. In August 2011, they were released under a legally awkward plea deal. Echols wrote a book about his experience, Life After Death, which is available on Amazon and which we've excerpted here. Check back in here at 3 p.m. EDT for a live Q&A with Echols.

I have the shape of a dead man on the wall of my cell. It was left behind by the last occupant. He stood against the wall and traced around himself with a pencil, then shaded it in. It looks like a very faint shadow, and it's barely noticeable until you see it. It took me nearly a week to notice it for the first time, but once you see it you can't un-see it. I find myself lying on my bunk and looking at it several times a day. It just seems to draw the eyes like a magnet....

Damien has said in several different interviews that he recognizes how his behavior at the trial contributed to a misperception of who he really is and therefore contributed to his conviction. So, he does realize that the behavior was inappropriate to the situation. As to writing and giving interviews belying the desire to remain a private person, he is working for exoneration and feels that the only way it will happen is to keep the case before the public. I imagine that, once exoneration is achieved, Damien will attempt to blend into society as much as possible. There are plenty of authors who are prolific writers but who value their privacy. Stephen King comes to mind. So, given the chance, I believe that Damien would much prefer to be a very private person. Right now, as part of the struggle for exoneration, he can't.

Steven King does not usually write about his personal life. MOO

I do believe Damien enjoys publicity and controversy.I believe he would have been a famous artist/author regardless however ,it's his creative and talented personality.He just moved to Salem :) just like I believe Jason would have been a public servant no matter what because of his caring personality.Both are brilliant in their own ways but had to put their lifes on hold because of a horrible,tragic event.Jesse would have married much sooner and been a loving dad to his children.
Luckily they all have a chance now.Unfortunately Christopher,Michael and Stevie never did.But at least as long as the case is getting puplicity and their are movies and books coming out these little boys will not be forgotten and maybe,just maybe the truth will come out in the end.

Steven King does not usually write about his personal life. MOO

All authors write about their personal life to some extent, especially their early books. I'm sure that, given time, Damien will write of other things. And, I'm equally sure that he wants to blend into society ASAP, just as Stephen King has, now that he has achieved fame as an author.

Right now, with his book having been recently released, I'm sure that the publisher is encouraging Damien (if not requiring him) to do interviews about the book. The case is also still making news with the FOIA suits going through the court system. So, for a while at least, Damien and Jason and (to a lesser extent because of his lower intelligence and inability to "do" interviews) Jessie will be in the spotlight.

Hey! I haven't been around for awhile (being 7 months pregnant keeps me from spending all night on WS)...Anyway

I agree with claudicici that Damian likes the spotlight and likes being in the public eye. He's the one running around with celebrities and such after all. And quite honestly and IMO he is acting just like he did when he was on trial. I'm not at all saying he's guilty but him acting big headed and above everything is just his personality (IMO of course).

While they have been out of jail for over a year, I think that he needs to lie low because there are a lot of crazy people out there and people who still think he's guilty.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back