Woman destroys 19th century fresco

BuzzieCat

Reaction score
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...19th-century-fresco-with-DIY-restoration.html

But in a time of austerity, rather than calling in a professional to complete the job, the unnamed woman attempted to restore the mural herself – at a devastating cost.

The article includes pictures of before and after. Ugh!

http://todayentertainment.today.com...eur-artist-messes-up-century-old-artwork?lite

While Martinez's work was not considered especially valuable, the BBC reports that the painter's granddaughter had just donated a sum of money to restore the peeling image. Apparently the helpful would-be artist took it upon herself to get involved without knowing that, but if she had just waited, the work would have been fixed properly.

Didn't anybody see this elderly lady doing this? It was a beautiful painting, now it looks like something done by a five year old.

i know i couldnt believe anyone would do that.. its horrible.

I can't stop laughing after looking at the "restored" painting.

It's definitely hard to believe that she could do this and no one would notice until she had ruined it! It was a nice painting until she got hold of it!

I am just picturing a nice old grandma saying "oh dear, what a shame. I'll just go back home, get my paints, and fix that right up."

I can only hope the Shroud of Turin is under lock and key in case she vacations in Italy and tries to help by washing it. ;)

LOL, Yoda! She would be just the type to think the Shroud of Turin needed a good washing and bleaching!

The destruction of that painting is so sad. Whatever her intentions, it is now a disaster.

MOO

Finally! A painting about which I can honestly say, "I could have done better." (Mine would have been a stick-figure Jesus, waving, but that still would be better.)

If at first you don't succeed art restoration isn't for you.

I wonder if anyone can re-restore it?

I wonder if anyone can re-restore it?

I am not optimistic. It wasn't in that good a shape before she started "restoring" it. But I guess we will have to wait an see.

I cannot even bring myself to look at it after the descriptions...lol

It would be really sad if it wasn't so funny!

:floorlaugh:

Still I hope it can be removed and restored properly. I hope the town gives the poor woman a break, I'm sure she did have the best of intentions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back