Mysterious 100-year-old, "Do not open till 2012" parcel in Norway set to be unwrapped

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
'Do not open until 2012': The secret of mysterious parcel wrapped in 1912 to be unveiled in Norwegian town (Daily Mail)
A mysterious package dated 100 years ago will finally be opened after generations in a small Norwegian town heeded to the instructions written on the wrapping: ‘To be opened in 2012’. The parcel was sealed in 1912 and left in the care of the council in Otta, a town 180 miles north of Oslo.

After surviving two world wars and years in bank vaults, archives and on display behind glass the contents will be revealed at a ceremony tomorrow night.

The parcel was left in the council's care in 1920 by Johan Nygaard, who had wrapped and sealed it eight years earlier on the anniversary of the legendary Battle of Kringen. It is believed that the contents of the package may have some connection to the battle 400 years ago.
---
Kjell Voldheim, a registrar at the local museum, is one of two people who will open the mysterious parcel.

‘We have no idea what could be inside. It is going to be so exciting!,' he told Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang. 'We have thought a lot about what it might be.'
---

much more, with pictures and a video, at link above

Ooohh, I love this! I am excited to be able to know what was so important to this man a hundred years ago that he actually took steps to preserve a little piece of his day for us!

My grandma lived for 104 years, and oh, the stories she told of the years she was a kid and young adult! She would tell us all the time of the time she and her family gathered around the radio, listening to the details about the Titanic.....

I love history, can't wait to tap into this story tomorrow.

Wfgodot, you find the BEST stuff!

Ooohh, I love this! I am excited to be able to know what was so important to this man a hundred years ago that he actually took steps to preserve a little piece of his day for us!

My grandma lived for 104 years, and oh, the stories she told of the years she was a kid and young adult! She would tellbus all the time of the time she and her family gathered around the radio, listening to the details about the Titanic.....

I love history, can't waitvto tap into this story tomorrow.

Wfgodot, you find the BEST stuff!
Thanks. I have a nose for stories about buried treasure, long-unopened documents, odd finds in attics, that sort of thing. Unfortunately, it's only a nose for the stories and not for the finds themselves!

Party hats for the 400-year anniversary of the Battle of Kringen? Why wait this long anyway? They could have opened it on January 1st.

I'm bad enough when some gives me a birthday card and say's "don't open until your birthday". I don't think I could look at something that say's don't open for a 100 years and not want to open it.

BUT I can't wait to hear what's in this.

How exciting!

Can you imagine receiving that package in 1920 and knowing you'd never live long enough to discover the mystery?

It reminds me of Back to the Future 3 when the postal service has a package from Doc waiting to give to Marty 70 years later. I always felt sorry for the guys who kept that letter but never knew what it was lol

Value coupons for a kroner off on your next purchase of lutefisk!

If nothing else, it is a testament to the honor and patience of humanity.

It's kinda like the time capsule concept, but much more compelling.

Oh how I hope that this is not a hoax.

Thanks for catching that, wfgodot - I edited my post that had the wrong time.
Watching it now at www.vgtv.no , but can't understand a word!
This is so me.

I've been known to do such, even for much, much less world-changing reasons. ;)

This is so me.

I've been known to do such, even for much, much less world-changing reasons. ;)

LOL, I can't understand it because it's not in English. My audio keeps going in and out. I keep going back and forth to watch because it's taking a long time (ceremony), knowing my luck I'll miss them actually opening it when I'm on another site.

Is anyone else watching it? My audio just came back, they're speaking and announcing someone....

Looks like Princess Astrid's in the house. Let's get rolling!

And now a young woman is singing a positively ethereal narrative song. No idea what she's on about, but it's gorgeous.

A translation of the opening remarks follows for English-speaking guests, especially the Scottish Sinclair clan - Battle of Kringen bigs.

The song was "Sinclairvise" - "Sinclair's Song," written by the folk band Folque, based on Edvard Storm's poem about the battle, "Zinklarvisa."

The Earl of Gaithness is also in the hey-ouuuse.

We can send a truck to Mars but we can't get good-quality streaming video from Norway. Why is that.

Oh awesome, they're repeating what was just said in English! :woohoo: I was worried if they opened it and it was a letter, that I wouldn't know what it was anyway!

Some of the Norwegian words really sound like she's saying "the f word". LOL!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back