Patsy Ramsey to the Left
Reaction score
Denver, CO
Friday, January 07, 2005

Ramseys' suit against Fox News dismissed

Family claimed TV report implied involvement in JonBenet's murder

By Alicia Caldwell
Denver Post Staff Writer

A federal judge has dismissed the libel and defamation case filed by the family of JonBenet Ramsey against Fox News Network.

In an order dated Thursday, U.S. District Judge Phillip Figa wrote that the totality of a broadcast by the news outlet did not defame the parents or brother of the slain child beauty queen.

The Ramseys had claimed that a December 2002 segment by Fox News reporter Carol McKinley had implied they were involved in the murder of the 6-year-old JonBenet.

Dori Ann Hanswirth, Fox News' lawyer, was ecstatic today upon receiving word of the decision.

"We're thrilled," Hanswirth said. "It's a great day for the First Amendment."

Lin Wood, the Atlanta lawyer representing the Ramseys, could not immediately be reached for comment today afternoon.

In an elegantly written order that quoted Shakespeare, Figa wrote about the importance of upholding constitutionally protected rights of free speech.

"Plantiffs may well have filed this case more for vindication than for money, and perhaps vindication is what they deserve," Figa wrote.

"But they have a better chance for meaningful vindication in the court of public opinion through vigorous debate about the background and details of this heinous crime than by suing those whose reporting may arguable include some less than favorable references about them," the order said.

Although I left the JBR forum on here I cant help but post about this wonderfull news!!!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

As you know from FFJ ,RR,the tides are turning and it seems the case is getting a "second wind"-ABOUT TIME ISNT IT????? :)

Cass, where'd you get that creepy photo of Patsy at JonBenet's grave??

Good for Fox the case was dismissed, bad for justice it didn't go to trial.

Geeee Woody LOST...I thought he was supposed to be a hot shot lawyer....I think that might be the last case he tries for the Ramseys.

RiverRat said:
"But they have a better chance for meaningful vindication in the court of public opinion through vigorous debate about the background and details of this heinous crime than by suing those whose reporting may arguable include some less than favorable references about them," the order said.

Thank you RiverRat,

I love the above sentence in the judge's order. VIGOROUS DEBATE is the way to gain public vindication, not lawsuits that intimid and violate the First Amendment that guarantees free speech.

BlueCrab

WHEREFORE, Plaintiffs, John Ramsey, Patsy Ramsey and Burke Ramsey, demand:

(a) Trial by jury;

(b) That judgment be entered against Defendant, Fox News
Network, L.L.C., awarding compensatory damages to each Plaintiff
in an amount not less than Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000.00);

(c) That judgment be entered against Defendant, Fox News
Network, L.L.C., for punitive damages in an amount not less than
Ten Million Dollars ($10,000,000.00) to punish and penalize said
Defendant and deter said Defendant from repeating its unlawful
conduct; and

d) That all costs of this action be assessed against
Defendant.
:loser:

Still waiting for Woody's statementl! Come on Woody give us beer can collectors a statement!

Sooooooooooooo John Ramsey is a LOSER again this year! And the year has hardly begun.

I expect more 'freedom of expression' from the media from now on. :crazy:

This is such great news, although I would have loved to have seen this case go to trial.
Way to go Fox News! Guess what Limp Woodie? You lost, LOL!

They wanted 6million for compensation for a news story? :doh:

I thought I read it was 16 million total.

Remember John can't seem to find or buy his way into a job. :loser:

Well I'm willing to do my part to help and express my opinion in the court of public opinion, like the judge says.

A Ramsey killed their daughter, probably accidentally, and have been covering up the truth ever since! Which is why all their interview transcripts read... I don't know, I can't remember, I don't recall....when questioned by LE on details of that morning. (Amazing Patsy, who didn't read beyond the first few lines of the 3 page ransom note, told the 911 operator SBTC was the name at the end of the note! How'd she do that if she didn't write it?)

Oh yeah and Patsy wrote the ransom note.

Show Me said:
(Amazing Patsy, who didn't read beyond the first few lines of the 3 page ransom note, told the 911 operator SBTC was the name at the end of the note! How'd she do that if she didn't write it?)

S.B.T.C is THE, THE, THE ...I tell you, THE central factor in Patsy's motive for ending the life of her daughter.

(Oh ya, Victory! too.)

Another report from the Daily Camera:

Judge dismisses Ramseys' Fox suit
Tossed defamation claim family's first legal defeat

By Christine Reid, Camera Staff Writer
January 8, 2005

A Denver district judge has dismissed a $16 million defamation lawsuit against the Fox News Network filed by the parents of slain Boulder 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey.

John and Patsy Ramsey filed the suit over a story that aired Dec. 27, 2002, in which Denver-based reporter Carol McKinley said there has "never been any evidence to link an intruder to her brutal murder."

In the Ramseys' first legal defeat since their daughter's death, Denver District Judge Phillip S. Figa this week granted Fox News' motion to throw the suit out.

"Taking the broadcast as a whole, it did not hold up any member of the Ramsey family to public contempt or ridicule or accuse any of them of participating in the murder (of) their youngest family member," Figa wrote in his ruling.

He wrote that the Ramseys may have wanted "vindication" more than money, and may deserve it.

"But they have a better chance for meaningful vindication in the court of public opinion through vigorous debate about the background and details of this heinous crime than by suing those whose reporting may arguably include some less than favorable inferences about them," he wrote. "Plaintiffs cannot have the public discourse playing field entirely to themselves."

Ramsey attorney L. Lin Wood said he was disappointed by the ruling but not completely surprised.

"To me it is an unfortunate fact that the state of defamation law in this country has reached a level that is extremely difficult to have these cases decided by juries," Wood said. "I believe the jury would have had a different view if the judge hadn't decided the matter himself."

Since JonBenet's death, her family has filed nearly a dozen multimillion-dollar lawsuits alleging various publications wrongly blamed family members. Before the Fox lawsuit, all of them have been settled out of court.

"Obviously we're delighted with the ruling," Fox attorney Dori Ann Hanswirth said. "It's a great vindication for the news channel and for Carol McKinley."

JonBenet was found beaten and strangled in her parents' Boulder basement on Dec. 26, 1996. A grand jury investigation ended with no indictments, and no arrests have been made.

In 2003, a federal judge who dismissed a lawsuit against the Ramseys said there is considerable evidence showing that an intruder killed the child. Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan, whose office now heads the aging investigation, said she agreed with the judge's ruling.

Keenan said Friday that she was relieved by the Fox suit's dismissal because it freed her investigators from subpoenas by Fox attorneys to turn over documents from the voluminous case file.

"It really will save a lot of resources in our office," she said.

Show Me said:
A Ramsey killed their daughter, probably accidentally, and have been covering up the truth ever since! Which is why all their interview transcripts read... I don't know, I can't remember, I don't recall....when questioned by LE on details of that morning. (Amazing Patsy, who didn't read beyond the first few lines of the 3 page ransom note, told the 911 operator SBTC was the name at the end of the note! How'd she do that if she didn't write it?)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Amen and thank you!!

A very good day for freedom of speech and plain common sense. The suit against Fox has been vigoriusly dismissed by the judge.

Isn't it grand that Keenan is so concerned about her investigators? Now these investigators are free to look for JonBenet's killer, right?

DebE said:
Isn't it grand that Keenan is so concerned about her investigators? Now these investigators are free to look for JonBenet's killer, right?

I don't think Keenan asked for any funds to continue the investigation!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back