CANADA Canada - Christine Harron, 15, Hanover, Ont, 18 May 1993 *Guilty*

coco36

Reaction score
On 18 May 1993, 15-year-old Christine Harron, headed out to school after having stayed home that morning.

She was never seen again, nor were her remains ever found.

In August 2004, a local man, Anthony Edward Ringel, then 36, confessed to family and the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) that he had killed Christine.

Unfortunately, police blunders meant the confession and subsequent evidence gathered by the OPP was deemed inadmissible by Superior Court Justice R.M. Thompson.

The publication ban is no longer in effect, and the following documentary was produced by David Ridgen for the CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/05/18/christine-harron-hanover.html

http://www.mcsc.ca/mc_cases/christine-marianne-harron

I have no additional insight, but I remember seeing the posters up everywhere.

"I've got more anger towards the OPP and the town cops than I do Ringel," said Christine's mother, who has never received answers to her questions about what happened the day her daughter disappeared.

ummm, ok then ...

I am unable to find a copy of the ruling online, including the CanLII databases.

Bumping for Christine Harron, where are you?

Wondering if the man convicted for her murder did not do it, then who did and where is Christine now? Is a killer on the loose?

He's been re-arrested!

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/02/28/can-christine-harron-murder-anthony-edward-ringel.html

man who confessed to the 1993 killing of Hanover, Ont., teenager Christine Harron, but had charges against him stayed after a mistake-ridden investigation, has been re-arrested in the case, the victim's family says.

Ontario Provincial Police arrested Anthony Edward Ringel Wednesday night, said David Rigden, a CBC freelance videographer, who produced a documentary on the Harron case. Ringel was expected to make his first court appearance Thursday in Walkerton, Ont., 10 kilometres east of Hanover.

The Russwurms weren't told what the new evidence is, but Rigden speculates it is significant. He said it could be along the lines of securing an admission from Ringel to an undercover officer, or having a friend or family member to whom Ringel had confessed come forward and agree to testify.

Does anyone know what the new evidence is that constituted the new charges. Given the OPPs past botching of this case, I would imagine that it would have to be pretty solid.

Also I can not believe that they have yet to recover her body. I stumbled across a video and it shows where Ringel claims to have buried her. I played in that park. She was 4 yrs younger.

Preliminary hearing into 1993 murder of Christine Harron begins
Published Monday, November 24, 2014 3:22PM EST
http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/prelimi...3-murder-of-christine-harron-begins-1.2116741

A preliminary hearing in a historical murder case from Hanover began Monday in Kitchener. Anthony Rengel, 46, is accused of killing 15-year-old Christine Herron in 1993. He was first arrested in 2004. Charges were stayed in that instance due to a judge ruling key pieces of evidence inadmissible. Police arrested Rengel again in February 2013.
Herron, whose body has never been found, disappeared after leaving home for school.
image.jpg
http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/polopol...e.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg

This case shares so many (too many?) similarities with Mistie Murray's disappearance. Same area (a good 1 hour's drive from Hanover to Goderich, where MM was last seen), same age, last seen going to/after school, both in May (just over two years apart), body never found. Both girls are about the same height and weight, with brown, curly hair. Hope they're looking into where Ringel was when Mistie disappeared as well.

This case shares so many (too many?) similarities with Mistie Murray's disappearance. Same area (a good 1 hour's drive from Hanover to Goderich, where MM was last seen), same age, last seen going to/after school, both in May (just over two years apart), body never found. Both girls are about the same height and weight, with brown, curly hair. Hope they're looking into where Ringel was when Mistie disappeared as well.

Looking into it further...

Anthony Ringel appears to have grown up in Chesley, Ontario, born 1968. Not sure where he went to high school.

Chesley is
--approximately 1 hour from where Lois Hanna went missing in Kincardine, Ontario, July 3 1988 (25, brown curly hair, 5'4, 119lbs, never found)
--approximately 1 hour from where Lisa Maas went missing in Woodford, Ontario, July 17 1988 (22, dark blonde, shoulder length straight hair, 4'10, 96lbs, never found) *her parents lived south of Chatsworth, about 30min from Chesley
--20 minutes from where Christine Harron went missing in Hanover, Ontario, May 18 1993 (15, brown curly hair, 5'5, 110lbs, never found)
--approximately 1 hour from where Mistie Murray went missing in Goderich, Ontario, May 31 1995 (16, brown curly hair, 5'3-5'4, 115lbs, never found)

Not sure how that would sit with a global audience, but as someone who grew up in the area and knows that this is a basically a collection of villages in a relatively remote area, I would say this is strange.

Looking into it further...

Anthony Ringel appears to have grown up in Chesley, Ontario, born 1968. Not sure where he went to high school.

Chesley is
--approximately 1 hour from where Lois Hanna went missing in Kincardine, Ontario, July 3 1988 (25, brown curly hair, 5'4, 119lbs, never found)
--approximately 1 hour from where Lisa Maas went missing in Woodford, Ontario, July 17 1988 (22, dark blonde, shoulder length straight hair, 4'10, 96lbs, never found) *her parents lived south of Chatsworth, about 30min from Chesley
--20 minutes from where Christine Harron went missing in Hanover, Ontario, May 18 1993 (15, brown curly hair, 5'5, 110lbs, never found)
--approximately 1 hour from where Mistie Murray went missing in Goderich, Ontario, May 31 1995 (16, brown curly hair, 5'3-5'4, 115lbs, never found)

I wonder if he has been investigated for any of these missing women, he sure is a creepy looking guy

I'd somehow ruled it out due to the perp's level of sophistication, though due to Mistie Murray's case, and just living there, I know that (unfortunately) some LE and related bureaucracy are primitive (to say the least..potentially even counteractive, one of the main investigators, who'd suggested for years that Mistie's father was molesting her, was tried in court for similar charges). To sum it up, LE isn't the sharpest tool in the shed here. Here, if you can't...be a cop.

It may be a stretch, or not, that all of these cases are ignored due to negligence. Mistie Murray's was an obvious flub, as well as Christine Harron's...only a few thousand people adverse to it in a remote place in cottage country, with some police chiefs due for retirement...hohumm...

I must say, this case reminded me that some circumstances are not necessarily suspicious.

Have always been leary that CH was not in school the day before and the morning of her disappearance (according to previous articles I have read). That left me open to any possibility here. Then AR confessed and recanted - furthering other possibilities.

But AR's allocution to the circumstances leaves little room for doubt.

RIP Christine - it's always a horrible shame when a life is cut short by a monster.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back