Feds: Fla. warehouses disabled kids in nursing homes

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...sabled-kids-in-nursing-homes/?tag=re1.channel

(CBS/AP) FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Federal investigators say Florida officials are violating federal law by unnecessarily warehousing hundreds of children with disabilities in geriatric nursing homes.

The Department of Justice sent a letter to state Attorney General Pam Bondi this week, saying that in visits to six nursing homes around the state, investigators identified numerous children who didn't need to be there and who "would benefit from moving home with their families or other community settings."

The Miami Herald reports that, according to the letter written by Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas E. Perez, hundreds of Florida children spend their formative years with virtually no education or socialization............

Federal officials concluded the state has made it difficult for children to get medical services that would allow them to move back home.

Bondi's office is defending the state against a previously filed lawsuit that claims the institutionalization of children violates federal law, including Title II of the Americans With Disabilities Act.

[Justice Dept. letter to Fla. AG Bondi (pdf)]

More at link.....

Too sad, glad to see an investigation.

Goz

Sigh...that's Florida for you. Yet another reason for me to boycott that messed up state.

At least someone is shining a light on this kind of problem. Believe me, it's not just FL...this is nationwide.

I am sure this isn't just Florida...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I know...it's just that Florida's government seems to have an awfully heavy concentration of outrageous laws/policies/actions, most likely due to their unique blend of clashing demographics. Almost like it's a testing ground for all of the worst ideas of the rest of the nation. Don't get me wrong, I like the people who live there for the most part - my Grandfather lives there - but their politicians, bureaucrats & 'Justice' apparatus as a whole I regard as being less trustworthy & more dangerous than a rabid wolverine.

That said, I do hope that this makes the Feds take a closer look at how other States are treating their most vulnerable wards as well...though I'm not going to hold my breath.

All JMO of course.

Sigh...that's Florida for you. Yet another reason for me to boycott that messed up state.

Florida isn't a "messed up state." There are problems here like everywhere but there are lots of great areas as well. I love living here and really don't think the derogatory comment was warranted. A lot of people make their living here and are harmed by comments like yours. JMO, Every state has bad areas and bad people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back