Sandusky Trial Transcripts Discussion

Court documents suggest ongoing Second Mile investigation, mention juror's ties to charity

BELLEFONTE — Closed-door conversations revealed in the transcript of the Jerry Sandusky trial drop hints that The Second Mile is under investigation.

In a meeting in chambers during Sandusky’s trial, Judge John Cleland said that it was “general knowledge that the Second Mile and its various fundraisings have been the object of some investigations by some agencies.”

“I don’t know if it’s the grand jury, FBI, U.S. attorney or somewhat, but there are certainly ongoing investigations,” Cleland said.

Prosecutor Frank Fina replied, “I think that’s very fair to say, your honor.”

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/09/21/3344760/jerry-sandusky-trial-trancript.html#storylink=cpy

thanks so much for posting the link for the transcripts! i love reading the actual transcripts - it's my favorite part of following trials. Unfortunately, we don't often have access to them.

i've been lost in them for several hours now :) - got all caught up in reading all of the jury selection and most of the motions heard prior to jury selection.

i'll start reading the opening statements tomorrow evening (actually, THIS evening - it's already 4am here).

thanks again!

I always regretted having to call the Victim by a number, but after seeing their names, I don't. I'll continue the practice.

I've just read through Day 1, was surprised to find the names of the victims are included. It feels as though now they are "proven" victims, they deserve more privacy than when they were only "alleged".
Amendola's questioning sometimes put more information into the record that harmed Sandusky. I think I can see why the prosecution started with that witness, his story includes most of the pieces of the other stories in a coherent pattern. Interesting.

Hi everyone! I am new here, but I attended the entire trial (with the exception of the first day) and was there when they read the verdict. I'm going to be attending the sentencing on October 9th as well. I attended as a member of the public, and as a survivor of child sexual abuse, along with a good friend of mine. It was a fascinating experience and we wrote about it pretty exhaustively on our blog, but it's great to have the trial transcripts because I'm sure we missed a few things. I am concerned that the victims names were included unredacted though...even though they were said in open court, there was an agreement to not use them outside of the courtroom. I have become friends with the mother of one of the more high-profile victims and she's told me some horror stories about the kind of treatment her family has received even without this kind of public disclosure. I don't even know if they (victims and family) were aware that this would happen. These young men are supposed to be giving victims impact statements at the sentencing, so I can't help but wonder why they would release this now? Giving a VIS is very emotional, very personal...even moreso when it is a sex crime. They already know that the world is watching them, and will be dissecting their words...knowing that their names are now attached to those words, what effect will that have? Will they feel comfortable standing up and saying the words that they know might cause them to break down and cry, knowing that they are now publicly identified?

Does this strike anyone else as odd timing?

Welcome TCG! I would love to read your blog.

The transcripts are public information, and they probably just got around to releasing them.

Thank you for posting the link to the transcripts. I look forward to reading them all.

These young men are supposed to be giving victims impact statements at the sentencing, so I can't help but wonder why they would release this now? Giving a VIS is very emotional, very personal...even moreso when it is a sex crime. They already know that the world is watching them, and will be dissecting their words...knowing that their names are now attached to those words, what effect will that have? Will they feel comfortable standing up and saying the words that they know might cause them to break down and cry, knowing that they are now publicly identified?

It certainly seems odd to me, but then a lot about the handling of this case has been odd. Certainly not like most other pedophile cases I've read about. It seems as if the court system is compromised.
The victims are very brave.

Hi TCG- I would also like to read your blogging of the trial- can you post a link, please? Or if that's not OK with Websleuths, a label we can search on.

Hi everyone! I am new here, but I attended the entire trial (with the exception of the first day) and was there when they read the verdict. I'm going to be attending the sentencing on October 9th as well. I attended as a member of the public, and as a survivor of child sexual abuse, along with a good friend of mine. It was a fascinating experience and we wrote about it pretty exhaustively on our blog, but it's great to have the trial transcripts because I'm sure we missed a few things. I am concerned that the victims names were included unredacted though...even though they were said in open court, there was an agreement to not use them outside of the courtroom. I have become friends with the mother of one of the more high-profile victims and she's told me some horror stories about the kind of treatment her family has received even without this kind of public disclosure. I don't even know if they (victims and family) were aware that this would happen. These young men are supposed to be giving victims impact statements at the sentencing, so I can't help but wonder why they would release this now? Giving a VIS is very emotional, very personal...even moreso when it is a sex crime. They already know that the world is watching them, and will be dissecting their words...knowing that their names are now attached to those words, what effect will that have? Will they feel comfortable standing up and saying the words that they know might cause them to break down and cry, knowing that they are now publicly identified?

Hi, I am the "good friend" of TreeClimbingGirl - and you can find our blog about the Jerry Sandusky trial here

http://tree-climbers.org/bearing-witness-the-trial-of-jerry-sandusky/

I hope I'm not violating any site rules - if I am, I apologize.

Not only did we attend every day of the trial, but I was selected as "The Public" to view Phase III of Jury selection where I sat in Judge's Chambers for two days, 10 feet away from Jerry Sandusky, Joe Amendola, Karl Rominger, Frank Fina, Joe McGettigan and Judge Cleland as they interviewed each prospective juror.

And, as TCG mentioned above, we will be back in court for the sentencing on October 9th. We published a book for the brave young men who testified entitled "Bearing Witness: Messages of Support From Across the World" where we solicited letters, poems, and notes of encouragement from victims, survivors and supporters. This book was a limited publishing and is only being given to the young men and their families.

I look forward to working with this community and exploring all of the good work you have done thus far.

Roxine

Read Day 3- felt sorry for John McQueary and thought Clelland handled his testimony well. Seemed clear that no matter how many ways Rominger asked the most recent memory wasn't going to come.

Hi, I am the "good friend" of TreeClimbingGirl - and you can find our blog about the Jerry Sandusky trial here

http://tree-climbers.org/bearing-witness-the-trial-of-jerry-sandusky/

I hope I'm not violating any site rules - if I am, I apologize.

Not only did we attend every day of the trial, but I was selected as "The Public" to view Phase III of Jury selection where I sat in Judge's Chambers for two days, 10 feet away from Jerry Sandusky, Joe Amendola, Karl Rominger, Frank Fina, Joe McGettigan and Judge Cleland as they interviewed each prospective juror.

And, as TCG mentioned above, we will be back in court for the sentencing on October 9th. We published a book for the brave young men who testified entitled "Bearing Witness: Messages of Support From Across the World" where we solicited letters, poems, and notes of encouragement from victims, survivors and supporters. This book was a limited publishing and is only being given to the young men and their families.

I look forward to working with this community and exploring all of the good work you have done thus far.

Roxine

HA! Too funny...I was just coming here to share the links and I see you are way ahead of me :)

Tree Climbers is a non-profit (pending IRS authorization, which is taking forever unfortunately :banghead:) to support survivors of Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation...it was actually started as a result of the Sandusky case. Here is a link with more of an explanation:

http://tree-climbers.org/about/about-us/

Roxine and I both "came out" publicly as CSA survivors after this story broke-she on Dr. Laura (she gave a really compelling interview, the audio is parked at that link) and I wrote a blog post that ended up going viral on the day Joe Paterno died (warning-may be offensive to some):

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...terno-Final-Important-Update-please-read-lt-3

(Sorry to go OT, and if this violates any TOS please let me know!)

Read Day 3- felt sorry for John McQueary and thought Clelland handled his testimony well. Seemed clear that no matter how many ways Rominger asked the most recent memory wasn't going to come.

It's funny how different it reads as a transcript...I can see where you might feel sorry for him, but on the stand he was very unlikeable, and seemed quite arrogant and unconcerned for the welfare of that poor child.

There were a few things that I remember standing out in his testimony-One, he testified that in a private meeting with Gary Schultz, he brought up the 2001 incident and asked what the status was. Schultz said they had heard rumors about Sandusky before-he was cut off before he could really get into that, unfortunately. He was adamant that he never testified at a hearing in Harrisburg, even though Rominger had the certified transcript showing that he had...that was a bizarre courtroom moment. On cross when he was asked "what would Mike have to say for you to call the police that night?" he said he would have called if he was told "the child had been injured"...moments after saying that Mike had told him that he had walked in on a pre-adolescent boy being raped :banghead:

Hi TCG
Yes, I do see how John McQ was inept-inadequate in 2001. I read his trial testimony after reading somewhere that the writer thought he was exhibiting Alzheimers when he denied testifying at Harrisburg, and that colored my reading of the testimony and my interpretation of Clelland shutting the questioning down.
The question- `What would it have taken for you to call the police`is a good one, I`d like to hear all the players answer that. I though John flailing around for an answer was pathetic.
If I remember rightly, in the transcript, MCQ Sr. is referred to as CEO of a medical group that Dranov worked in, implying to me that he was senior or equal to Dranov. I had thought from previous accounts that Dranov was a very senior doctor and McQ just the medical group business administrator- so Dranov would have been his boss. McQ was ex military and a chain-of-command type. So I considered Dranov might have been the most responsible person in molding the decision to just tell Paterno and not call police that evening.

Welcome, TreeClimbingGirl and Roxine, I look forward to reading your blog and comments on the transcripts and sentencing!

So the court could have redacted the names but chose not to:
Sandusky Victims' Attorneys Angered at Release of Names

By Ben Present

The Legal Intelligencer
October 2, 2012

"Attorneys for a number of the victims testifying against former Penn State assistant football coach and convicted child rapist Jerry Sandusky said they were displeased with the court's decision to release the trial's transcripts on the Centre County website, complete with the victims' full names as they were read in court."
http://www.law.com/jsp/pa/PubArticlePA.jsp?id=1202573050813

I wonder- if some of the victims had been led to believe their identities would be private; if public status will give them more rights to damages; if now that they are all public they will have no reason left not to sue publicly; if there is now incentive for other victims to settle out of court for privacy reasons.
To me this is a large disincentive for any other victimes to testify, ever, unless there's a big payoff in money or revenge.

Is this regular policy- have names of other pedophile's victims now adualt been released?

I've never heard of the names of sexual assault victims being released before, unless its a case of a missing child who turns up alive, (eg, Jaycee Duggard), in which case they have to name the victim so that the public know the person isn't missing anymore.

I can't see the logic of releasing these young mens' names at all, and it will certainly deter others from coming forward.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3bell4010066bppts
Back