VA - Newborn girl found alive in woods

I wonder if she was left in an area where she was likely to be found? Or where they thought she'd never be found? Does Virginia have a safe haven law?

It doesn't seem to me that woods would be an area where one expects baby to be easily found.

This story is wonderful! It brightens my day...needed that. (I know, a different perspective)

I can't read the links yet...

But sounds like it's a brand new opportunity for this tiny new soul! And whomever gets to take her in...

there`s no excuse for this IMO

I don`t care what the circumstances are - put the baby up for adoption and give them proper care until then

otherwise it`s attempted murder IMO

the only exception I guess would be if the mother was forced to leave the baby there

It doesn't seem to me that woods would be an area where one expects baby to be easily found.

It might, if it was next to a busy walking trail. We walk regularly around a pond in the woods where you can't go five minutes without seeing a person or a dog, usually both. If somebody abandoned a child there, they'd intend for it to be found.

I wonder if she was left in an area where she was likely to be found? Or where they thought she'd never be found? Does Virginia have a safe haven law?

I think all 50 states have safe haven laws. Thank goodness the baby was found.

ETA: Per safehaven.org, in Virginia you can leave an infant up to 14 days old with hospital personnel or emergency personnel (an EMT, police officer, or firefighter, I guess?).
Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

I think all 50 states have safe haven laws. Thank goodness the baby was found.

ETA: Per safehaven.org, in Virginia you can leave an infant up to 14 days old with hospital personnel or emergency personnel (an EMT, police officer, or firefighter, I guess?).
Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Thank you. That makes it rather unlikely there's a good excuse...

So glad the infant was found. I bet that it was in a higher traffic area since the baby was found. truly sad someone would do this

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

It makes me so mad that someone would just leave a newborn in the woods to die, I mean it's not like the woods are just crawling with people. But at the same time I'm thrilled that baby was found and that someone out there is about to get the baby they have longed for. That makes my heart smile.

This is the approx area of where the baby was left. My guess a teen left it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=midd...=965MF9Ocl0qc48pZQQM1pA&cbp=12,208.78,,0,4.71

Ya, the first link posted here must have been updated because they have identified the mother as an 18 year old (with her name). I truly believe these females should be jailed and have it very public. Hopefully it will reach one girl who was thinking of doing the same and make her drop the baby off at a Safe Haven location.

IN this day and age everyone should know they can leave a baby in a safe haven or put it up for adoption. Even if this was a very young teen mother trying to hide her pregnancy she could have done this. If she was able to leave the baby in the woods she could have made her way to a safe haven. There is no excuse.

So sad, Safe Haven laws were meant to stop this from happening. Unfortunately, the people for whom this law was meant are soulless and selfish and continue to do this anyway.

There is absolutely no excuse that is acceptable for this.

The number of people who don't know about safe havens is shocking...especially among young women who are most likely to need it.

nope, not by humans anyway....maybe hungry animals...not to be harsh, but seriously! where i live there are a tons of coyotes, raccoon, owls & hawks, eagles... sheesh, she is one lucky baby!

this story does make me smile tho -- for one of the very few times around here that everything turned out positive. YAY :)

now, as for the mother... it appears that there is a safe haven law - so, imo she really needs smacked! she did turn herself in so hopefully she feels like a and will make up for that lapse in judgment....oy...wonder what her folks are feeling like...

The number of people who don't know about safe havens is shocking...especially among young women who are most likely to need it.

I do not watch Wavy10 news every day, I watch it maybe once every month or so believe it or not, and it seems each time I watch it I've heard mention several times about safe havens. This isn't the first case that Wavy has covered about it. My opinion this 18 year old knew. My guess is either she panicked and her thought process shut down, or fear that someone would find out she dropped the baby off at the hospital.

Very true, many people do not know about this option. Any many people also do not trust it and believe that could still be connected in some way or even penalized.

thanks to the poster that posted the map. I don't know if that's the exact location but thank goodness there was a walking path and someone was walking by and heard the child.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prod3149
Back