TX - Mom arrested for letting kids (6 & 9) play outside

MsFacetious

What a Kerfuffle...
Reaction score
And then there’s the woman in Texas who saw two kids, ages 6 and 9, playing on the front lawn next-door and decided to call the cops because she thought the kids shouldn’t be playing outside unsupervised.
It turns out that the kids’ mom was actually sitting outside in a lawn chair but when the police arrived they didn’t believe her story.

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/09/23/mom-thrown-in-jail-for-letting-kids-play-outside—huh/

A Texas mother was thrown in jail after a neighbor called police to say her children were playing outside unsupervised.

Tammy Cooper of La Porte, Texas said earlier this month she let her children, ages 6 and 9 years old, play with their scooters outside on their home on a cul-de-sac.

------------------------

Police said a neighbor had complained that the children were unsupervised. Cooper was arrested for child endangerment.

She spent 18 hours in jail overnight only to have the charges against her dropped.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/19600...ids-play-outside?obref=obinsite#ixzz27YFWTVoY

There has to be more to this story. What time was it? I'm thinking it must have been late at night or something. The police really don't have time to take you to jail for kids playing outside. That is NOT illegal. Either it was very late (after 10:00 p.m.) or she got belligerent with LE and pizzed them off.

I would be shocked if this was early evening (before 8:00 p.m.) and she was just nice as could be.

I want to know the real story.

Salem

There has to be more to this story. What time was it? I'm thinking it must have been late at night or something. The police really don't have time to take you to jail for kids playing outside. That is NOT illegal. Either it was very late (after 10:00 p.m.) or she got belligerent with LE and pizzed them off.

I would be shocked if this was early evening (before 8:00 p.m.) and she was just nice as could be.

I want to know the real story.

Salem

^This. Most of the parents in my neighborhood would be arrested if playing outside unsupervised at ages 6 & 9 were illegal. There has to be more to this story.

When I clicked on the link I was rolling my eyes saying "yeah right, what REALLY happened?" But then I think...

If there is more to the story... why did they drop the charges against her? :waitasec:

I thought an article i read said the kids were riding motorized scooters which might not be legal in the first place, but there does seem to be reports of an increase in these kind of charges and investigations.

This story is actually more than a year old. This neighbor apparently called LE after striking one of the kids on scooters with her car, although that didn't apparently lead to injury.

The mom in this case has filed suit against the city.

One interesting note, the mother apparently didn't realize her child had been struck by a car. Hm.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...er-sues-city-neighbor-after-child-3887670.php

edited to add: as we all knew, there IS more to the story. Read through the neighbor comments.

There aren't any comments on that link.

Interesting. I can still see them.

At the bottom of the screen, there are three comments visable but if you click the link for "more comments" you can see the rest.

Interesting. I can still see them.

At the bottom of the screen, there are three comments visable but if you click the link for "more comments" you can see the rest.

It says No Comments and 0....do you have an account and are logged in? Or maybe you have an archived link?

I see 82 comments.

I hope I'm not breaking the rules here. Since I can see it, and it's attached to a mainstream media article that somehow isn't coming across to everyone due to a technical glitch, I hope I can post it. Technically, it's not different to me than posting this link with the comments that many can see.

Note: A large bulk of the 82 comments have been removed by site admin and are blocked. This one remains among many:

Tmmcd 7:07 AM on September 26, 2012
There is a lot here that has not come to light. If this doesn't get settled out of court (she's driving a new car) then they may throw her back in jail. Keep watching. BTW, you don't hear about the 2 older boys or where they are or what the younger ones have done while unattended.

April 2015 - Tammy K. Cooper lost her lawsuit against the police department, then lost her appeal:

At a minimum, [LEO] Davidson was not objectively unreasonable in concluding these facts were sufficient for a reasonable officer to believe that Cooper committed the offense of abandoning or endangering a child by leaving her young children to play in a roadway on motorized scooters at night and without supervision, during which the youngest child was almost struck by a vehicle.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNExNO_QHPPx9rEtGwIkdCgvR0CI8g

This was around 10pm...

Davidson encountered Plaintiff standing next to a minivan with its liftgate open near the house's garage. Davidson reported seeing groceries in the rear of the vehicle, while Plaintiff claims that only a twelve-pack of soda was in the minivan. He informed her that he was investigating a report that her children were playing outside unsupervised when one was almost struck by a vehicle. Plaintiff denied that the incident had occurred and stated that she had been supervising the children. Davidson felt the hood of the minivan and it was hot to the touch, consistent with the heat of a vehicle that had been recently driven.

Davidson then met with Henson, who related information he had gathered from Fuller and Wheeler. Fuller reported that at 9:45 p.m. she was driving slowly when she looked to the left and saw Plaintiff's daughter ride a motorized scooter in front her. Fuller stated that she had to abruptly apply the brakes to avoid hitting the child. According to Fuller, she then parked the car and told the children that they needed to stay out of the street.

Fuller stated that she walked to Plaintiff's house but did not see Plaintiff. Fuller then asked Wheeler, who had witnessed the incident, to call the police. At that point, Plaintiff exited the house while talking on the phone. Wheeler confirmed Fuller's account, stating that she had witnessed the incident while walking Fuller's dog.

Davidson then questioned Plaintiff further regarding the incident. Plaintiff responded that she did not wish to answer any other questions and that Davidson could speak to her attorney.

At this time, Plaintiff's twenty-year-old son came outside the home and carried in either groceries, according to Davidson, or the twelve-pack of soda, according to Plaintiff, from the minivan.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/In FDCO 20140623B67/COOPER v. CITY OF LA PORTE POLICE DEPARTMENT

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back