GUILTY FL - Lakeland girl, 14, charged with killing newborn son, 19 Sept 2012

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...d-girl-charged-with-murdering-her-newborn-boy

LAKELAND, Fla. - Polk County detectives reported a horrifying crime on Friday. They say a 14-year-old Lakeland girl is facing murder charges after she admitted to killing her newborn son and placing the body in a shoebox. ..........

The gruesome discovery was made by the girl's mother who smelled an odor while in the girl's bedroom gathering dirty laundry.

Homicide detectives went to the home and questioned the girl. She told them that she became ill the morning of September 19 and went into labor in the bathroom. ...............

As the pain of labor increased, she took a pair of scissors to "pry the baby out." The infant, a 9.5 pound, 20.4 inch boy, delivered alive and into the toilet. The 14-year-old girl lifted the moving infant from the toilet, felt for a pulse, found one, then placed her hands around the infant's neck and squeezed until he wasn't moving or breathing any longer. She took the infant's pulse again and found none." ............

According to the statement, the girl knew she was pregnant and had attempted to hid her appearance over the past months by wearing baggy clothing. ..................

More at link......

NO WORDS AND YES I AM YELLING BUT NOT AT YOU.....

No, her mother isn't facing any charges right now.

how horrible, that is my hometown!
That was a healthy size boy too...:(

Today, I have no sympathy or empathy for those that hurt their children.

I hope the monster is charged as an adult and doesn't get out of prison till well past child bearing years.

She's now been publicly named in Mainstream Media.

That doesn't seem right.

Why not?

If she's adult enough to have sex, get pregnant and commit murder why can't her name be released publicly?

Why not?

If she's adult enough to have sex, get pregnant and commit murder why can't her name be released publicly?

It's always been public policy to keep the names and identities of juveniles who are charged as juveniles (as she is) private.

She may later be charged as an adult, in which case the media will usually release the identity. Juvenile records are private.

Or anyway, that's the theory.

These types of crime are so senseless. A lot of people are more than happy to adopt a baby.
Even if these young women don't know about safe heaven laws, common sense should tell them they could drop a baby in a public place somewhere where the baby can be found.

We don't know if she had sex of her own accord. She is 14. What is the age of consent in Fla ? It could be rape, incest, etc.

Jovi, the age of consent in Florida is 18. I used to teach basic childbirth to pregnant teens, and can tell you, the younger the teen mom, the older the responsible dad is. So while a 17 year old girl is most likely to get pregnant with a boy near her age, a girl as young as 14 is much more likely to be impregnated by an adult.

Murder 1 is mandatory LWOP in Florida, even for juveniles. IIRC, there's a 12 y/o who murdered his little brother on another thread here, but I forget his name.

Only for juveniles tried as adults. Juveniles tried as juveniles can only be kept in the system until they turn 21.

snipped for space........pry the baby out with scissors she is lucky, and the blood?
Had to be a mess....come on, no one needed the bathroom?
JMOO

Passionflower, her mother did find blood in there. She said she'd had a miscarriage, and her mom took her to the hospital. They checked her for a miscarriage, and opened a CPS file on her. She said whatever she miscarried flushed down the toilet.

Then about 5 days later her mom found the baby's body in her room and called the police.

New info:

ABC Action News stopped by the girl's home to get the family's side of the story.

A woman answered and told reporters to leave, and asked us to let the family grieve.

The 14-year-old girl, who ABC Action News is not identifying, is currently at a juvenile detention center facing a charge of capital murder. News of her arrest quickly spread Friday at Kathleen High School where she attended.

"A lot of people are disturbed by this, I was shocked myself to hear about it and everything. It was really shocking," said Malcolm Reid, a student who said he didn't know the girl.

Sheriff Judd said it's possible the girl's mother could also face charges for neglect. Since the girl is under 16, the father of the baby boy may also be in trouble too.

"Everybody is a loser here. But this 14-year-old child murdered her infant baby which she successfully delivered at home," Judd said.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...-with-murdering-her-newborn-boy#ixzz27otWDDJ7

Does anyone know if there is a chance she'll be moved to juvenile court? Or if the charge , 1st deg. premeditated murder, must be an adult charge? For instance, after the most recent school shooting in Ohio, I learned any gun crime in Ohio must be an adult charge, even though the shooter was 16.
Sorry if I didn't articulate that well.
I'm kind of torn about this. The 12 y/o I mentioned earlier seems to be a Jeffrey Dahlmer in the making, but this kid seems re-habilitatable. Then again, she did murder her own newborn.

Does anyone know if there is a chance she'll be moved to juvenile court? Or if the charge , 1st deg. premeditated murder, must be an adult charge? For instance, after the most recent school shooting in Ohio, I learned any gun crime in Ohio must be an adult charge, even though the shooter was 16.
Sorry if I didn't articulate that well.
I'm kind of torn about this. The 12 y/o I mentioned earlier seems to be a Jeffrey Dahlmer in the making, but this kid seems re-habilitatable. Then again, she did murder her own newborn.

Her case is currently in juvenile court.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back