LA - Damon Thibodeaux, death row inmate, exonerated in '96 murder

Besides the DNA aspect of this story it is another clear example of false confession and that they really do happen. I think this is one of the most important parts of the story.

]>>Friday&#8217;s release was authorized by Jefferson Parish District Attorney Paul Connick Jr. after an extraordinary five-year joint re*investigation with defense lawyers concluded that the murder confession was clearly false. <<

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...e30012-0997-11e2-afff-d6c7f20a83bf_story.html

It makes one wonder what good was expected to come from water boarding if false confessions can be elicited from our LE interrogations.

It makes one wonder what good was expected to come from water boarding if false confessions can be elicited from our LE interrogations.

A lot of experts who oppose torture do so on practical as well as moral grounds. They say a tortured person will merely tell you whatever s/he thinks you want to hear.

A lot of experts who oppose torture do so on practical as well as moral grounds. They say a tortured person will merely tell you whatever s/he thinks you want to hear.

That is absolutely true.

I don't want to minimize torture, so please, everybody, read this carefully! What I'm going to say is to ADD to Nova's comment; please don't think I'm comparing torture to interrogations.

Many people who have made confessions which were ultimately determined to be untrue have later stated that they confessed because "that's what they wanted to hear." They are being interrogated, usually for hours on end, they are exhausted but don't know how to stop the process.... and the ONLY way they can see to stop the interrogation is to tell the interrogator what he wants to hear.

I've noted that many people who have made false confessions are also on the lower end of the IQ bell curve, or challenged by mental issues. Even then they often resist the pressure for many hours before they finally "confess."

That is absolutely true.

I don't want to minimize torture, so please, everybody, read this carefully! What I'm going to say is to ADD to Nova's comment; please don't think I'm comparing torture to interrogations.

Many people who have made confessions which were ultimately determined to be untrue have later stated that they confessed because "that's what they wanted to hear." They are being interrogated, usually for hours on end, they are exhausted but don't know how to stop the process.... and the ONLY way they can see to stop the interrogation is to tell the interrogator what he wants to hear.

I've noted that many people who have made false confessions are also on the lower end of the IQ bell curve, or challenged by mental issues. Even then they often resist the pressure for many hours before they finally "confess."

Maybe it should be made clearer to ALL, EACH AND EVERY CITIZEN, that unless arrested for whatever cause, they can GET UP and WALK OUT, or ask for an attorney. I don't believe ALL citizens of this United States understand that.

:cow:

Totally agree with you, Trident. After one such program, I was explaining just that to my DH and he said he never knew you could refuse to be questioned, and also the old standby, if I'm not guilty, won't I look guilty if I ask for an attorney?
Since that conversation, I have talked to all of my family and stressed that if they are ever questioned by LE, innocent or guilty, GET AN ATTORNEY!

Even with people being aware of their rights, the reality is that the cops are still in control of the situation at the time. Kevin Fox allegedly asked for a lawyer during his 14 hour interrogation and they simply refused and carried on interrogating him until he confessed.

All interviews with suspects should be videotaped in their entirety from the time the person sits down, to the conclusion of the interview. That would go a long way towards halting bad police practice in the interrogation room, and also close off the possibility of guilty people making false complaints against the police.

Wow that man was locked up for 15 years for 23 hours a day. Thank you DNA testing!

Maybe it should be made clearer to ALL, EACH AND EVERY CITIZEN, that unless arrested for whatever cause, they can GET UP and WALK OUT, or ask for an attorney. I don't believe ALL citizens of this United States understand that.

:cow:

I believe every single interrogation should begin with the officers informing the suspect that they can leave at any time.

I am totally convinced that many citizens DON'T know their rights. Especially the ones who have lower IQ'S or other issues that causes them to give in to manipulation.

I've been accused of being pro-criminal, and that is certainly not true. I just can see that every year we are learning of more falsely accused and falsely convicted people are being declared Not Guilty and being released after years of imprisonment....and that tells me our system needs to be "tweaked."

I watched this case last night.

It reminded me that just because someone may confess unless the confession matches the evidence.. It should never lead to a conviction.

Maybe the police should not be allowed to question people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back