OH - Marilyn Sheppard, 32, beaten to death, Bay Village, 4 July 1954

Betty P

Reaction score
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Bill Mason is giving the case files for the notorious Marilyn Sheppard murder case to Cleveland State University - Marshall College of Law.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/09/sam_sheppards_murder_case_file.html#incart_hbx

Over fifty boxes of files, photos, recordings and exhibits from the famous murder case will be catalogued, digitized and eventually made available to the public and researchers.

Dr. Sam Sheppard was accused of killing his wife, Marilyn, in Bay Village, OH on July 4, 1954. She was brutally bludgeoned to death in the upstairs bedroom of their lakeside home while her husband, Dr. Sam, slept downstairs on a daybed in the living room. Their young son, Chip, asleep in a room down the hall, was unharmed and didn't awaken.

Like the Jeffrey MacDonald case, Dr. Sam awoke to hear his wife screaming, ran upstairs in the dark and encountered a "bushy-headed" stranger who beat him and knocked him unconscious.

Dr. Sheppard was convicted of murder in a high profile trial in Cleveland. In 1966, attorney F. Lee Bailey was successful in overturning the conviction on the grounds that Sheppard didn't receive a fair trial due to massive pre-trial publicity. The verdict was the first of its kind, making F. Lee Bailey famous and setting a precedent that led to controls on media coverage prior to trials.

Years later, Bay Village neighbors of the Sheppards claimed the media frenzy was a "circus" during the first trial.

Sheppard was released from prison, but his professional life was over. He remarried, wrote a book, and even performed for a short time as a professional wrestler. He died in 1970.

Sam Sheppard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sheppard's son, Chip, (who now goes by the name Sam Reese Sheppard, using his mother's maiden name), collaborated on a book that pointed out problems in the original investigation and raised the suspicion that Marilyn had been killed by a window-washer/handyman they employed named Richard Eberling. Eberling's blood was found in the home, but he claimed it was due to a cut to his finger. He was later convicted and imprisoned for the murder of another woman.

Sam Reese Sheppard eventually went to trial in Cuyahoga County asking the court to declare his father innocent of his mother's murder. At this trial, Prosecutor Bill Mason and Asst. Prosecutor Steve Dever presented a compelling case that proved Sam had murdered his wife. The jury ruled in their favor.

I used to live in Bay Village, not far from the house where the murder took place. I had the opportunity to meet Sam Reese Sheppard at a book signing. He's a very kind, intelligent man who has had to live with the loss of his family at an early age.

I'm also acquainted with both Bill Mason and Steve Dever, good prosecutors who are convinced Sam murdered his wife. It will be interesting to review the evidence and files when they are made available to the public.

I have always thought that Sheppard did it.

I have always thought that Sheppard did it.

I've gone back and forth over the years. Evidence of Richard Eberling's blood in the home and his later conviction for murder of another woman client of his is certainly suspicious. The sexual nature of the attack also seems unusual, if Sheppard was the one who did it.

OTOH, Sheppard was a lot like Jeffrey MacDonald - a young doctor with his career ahead of him, having affairs on the side, big ego, tired of being married, another baby on the way, etc.

:fence:

The DNA that was claimed "could be" Eberlings was Type O blood which was the type of Marilyn. Both Sheppard and Eberling were Type A. This case does have a lot of similarities to the MacDonald case. There were problems matching the crime scene to Sam Sheppard's account. "Blood was not where it should have been and it was where it should not have been" (Gregg McCrary, former FBI Profiler). There was also no evidence that Marilyn had been sexually assaulted in any manner. There was overkill. Gregg McCrary concluded it was a staged domestic homicide.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/sheppard3/index.html

I used to live in Bay Village, not far from the house where the murder took place. I had the opportunity to meet Sam Reese Sheppard at a book signing. He's a very kind, intelligent man who has had to live with the loss of his family at an early age.

I'm also acquainted with both Bill Mason and Steve Dever, good prosecutors who are convinced Sam murdered his wife. It will be interesting to review the evidence and files when they are made available to the public.

With such intimate knowledge of the case and it's players, how do you explain getting two key pieces of evidence flat out wrong?

Hint: The answer's in your Wiki link.

Both The Fugitive TV series and movie were supposedly inspired by this case and with the view that the doctor was innocent.

I have tried to figure out what the murder weapon was judging from photos of the wounds in Marilyn's scalp. The best I could come up with was either an ice axe or a chisel.

At least we know Dr. Richard Kimble was innocent. Dr. Sam Sheppard, not so sure.

Like others, I've gone back and forth on Sheppard's guilt. Releasing the files may or may not help. I'm afraid we'll never know for certain. Only one or two people knew for sure: Dr. Sheppard and Eberling, depending on which was guilty. :waitasec:

At least we know Dr. Richard Kimble was innocent. Dr. Sam Sheppard, not so sure.

Like others, I've gone back and forth on Sheppard's guilt. Releasing the files may or may not help. I'm afraid we'll never know for certain. Only one or two people knew for sure: Dr. Sheppard and Eberling, depending on which was guilty. :waitasec:

----------------
I followed this case day by day..I was expecting my son, The trial was held when I was in the hospital. Many things were never told in that case. I believe he was innocent. My Dr. was a Young resident at Bay hospital. He was there when they brought him in. He said no way was he guilty. As you said we will never know.Most of the really involved are dead. Especially the Mayor. IMO :seeya:

Did you know the house had to be torn down? No one could live there!

With such intimate knowledge of the case and it's players, how do you explain getting two key pieces of evidence flat out wrong?

Hint: The answer's in your Wiki link.

Which ones did I get wrong? Apologies in advance if I left something out. Thanks.

And no, I don't have "intimate" knowledge of the case. I just happened to live in BV when the most recent books were written and the last trial was held.

The DNA that was claimed "could be" Eberlings was Type O blood which was the type of Marilyn. Both Sheppard and Eberling were Type A. This case does have a lot of similarities to the MacDonald case. There were problems matching the crime scene to Sam Sheppard's account. "Blood was not where it should have been and it was where it should not have been" (Gregg McCrary, former FBI Profiler). There was also no evidence that Marilyn had been sexually assaulted in any manner. There was overkill. Gregg McCrary concluded it was a staged domestic homicide.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/sheppard3/index.html

My quote about the crime being sexual in nature referred to the posing of her body and clothing. Sorry for the confusion.

I only see 4 possible scenarios:

1-Sheppard was innocent

2-Sheppard did it

3-Sheppard hired it done

4-Sheppard was not involved but knew who did it and was protecting them for unknown reasons

I'm not sure if I remember this case when it was first in the news. I do remember reading a magazine article about it way back when but that could have been connected to one of Sheppard's appeals that came after his conviction.

I do remember the William Cook Case and the Rosenberg Spy Case when they were current and both those were older than Sheppard.

Anyway - the 59th anniversary today.

I just finished reading "Dr. Sam Sheppard on Trial The Prosecutors and the Marilyn Sheppard Case" and it was excellent.

I have always believed he was, in fact, guilty, but if I had any inkling of a doubt this book would have erased it.

What's odd is that I had never really considered the similarities to the Jeffrey MacDonald case before. The reason that is odd to me is that "Fatal Vision" was really the first True Crime book I ever read and I acually met MacDonald at a party in the late 70's when I was dating a Long Beach Cop (who was 100% convinced that "Dr. Jeff" was innocent). So I have always followed that case. Yet I never really registered the similarities before.

Clearly MacDonald tried to stage some king of bad imitation of the Manson killings that had taken place only a few months before, but he actually ended up with similarities to the Sheppard case. Including one of the most obvious, why does an intruder literally overkill the woman and barely touch the much stronger man?

That is just the tip of the iceberg on the Sheppard case though. MacDonald did a better job of sticking to his fantasy story than Sheppard, who changed his story more than Darlie Routier.

I guess Sheppard is at least a step up from good old Jeff though, he did not harm his child. Faint praise and all that, but still.

At any rate, it is a really good, engrossing book. Although it is obvious that the "prosecuters" are going to determine him guilty it still takes you step by step though the process. For true crime geeks (raising hand here) it is really good and I would recommend.

The 60th anniversary coming up.

I always thought Sheppard did it and couldn't really understand why anyone thought differently.

The 60th anniversary coming up.

I always thought Sheppard did it and couldn't really understand why anyone thought differently.

The magic of movies, even if they are made for TV ?

This Friday, July 4th., will mark the 60th Anniversary of Marilyn Sheppard's murder at the hands of her husband, Sam.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back