TX - Abigail “Abby” Young, Up for Parole on a Yearly Basis

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Abigail was denied parole. Looking for a link that doesn't require a subscription. I saw it on another board. She will be eligible again next August, them yearly for the rest of her term. We are going to have to remember Emma every year by writing letters on her behalf. The decision of the Parole Board was unanimous.

Emma ForJustice posted to Justice For Emma Thompson
September 5.

I recieved this email on Friday August 31st at 9:32 AM from the victims services division! My heart is joyful for this news! I am Emma's maternal Aunt continuing to seek justice for my beautiful angel! Please feel free to add Emma ForJustice as a friend to recieve updates to future parole reviews and happenings in this case! Also my facebook is a.place to send letters to our fallen angel who continues to touch the heart of so many! Thank you for all your love and support of writing letters and sending emails! Justice has prevailed this time but we will need all the support again to keep Abigail Young behind bars hopfully for many years to.come!

VS-05
PLEASE RESPOND to theTEXAS DEPARTMENT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE VICTIM SERVICES DIVISION
at victim.svc@tdcj.state.tx.us
8/31/2012
RE: Offender YOUNG, ABIGAIL, State ID# 08428403, TDCJ# 01668233VINE No. (877) 894-8463
Your PIN:

On 8/30/2012, the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles denied parole for this offender and set the next review for 8/30/2013.

You will be notified when the case is placed in the review process, approximately four months prior to the next review date.Occasionally, the Board receives additional information that may return a case to the review process earlier than the next review date. Should this occur, you will be notified that the case has been placed in special review.For automated offender information 24 hours a day in both English and Spanish, you can call the toll free Victim Information and Notification Everyday (VINE) number and enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN). If requested, the automated service can also call you when the offender is being processed for release from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Correctional Institutions Division.

Please contact us for further information or to request this notification feature.Please feel free to call us toll free at (800) 848-4284 or direct at (512) 406-5900 with any questions or concerns you may have. We are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. central standard time and are eager to help in any way possible. If your address, e-mail address, or phone numbers change, please let us know so that we may continue to keep you updated and informed.

8712 Shoal Creek Blvd., Ste. 265Austin, TX 78757-6899Fax: (512) 452-0825E-Mail: victim.svc@tdcj.state.tx.usWebsite: www.tdcj.state.tx.us

Emma, Aunt Am loves you big much you may be gone but not forgotten! We will continue to fight for the justice you so rightfully deserve! Love and miss you everyday! XOXOXO

GREAT news but why in the world does she go back up for parole in just a year? :mad:

Kimster, I don't know why, but the family was informed that she would be up for parole EVERY year. So they have to go through this EVERY year. Which means we all have to program our yearly calendars to send letters for Emma in the spring. We need to stand up for her! Abigail needs to do the full 20 years. I think she is 37, so we need I be sure she is not out until after her "fertile" years are long gone!!!

This is what I found on Abigail:
Emma's mother, Abigail Young, was convicted of injury to a child by omission after a jury found she did nothing to prevent Coe from hurting little Emma. Young is serving a 20 year sentence.

from: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7663134

The article is from 2010, so it is old.

Salem

Additional information is in the above quotes. Abigail should do plenty of hard time. She was a nurse and should have been very aware of what was happening to her daughter.

Salem thank you thank you thank you for this thread. Emma was failed so badly by her Momster. We need to stand up for her so Abigail stays in prison for her whole sentence...

Salem thank you thank you thank you for this thread. Emma was failed so badly by her Momster. We need to stand up for her so Abigail stays in prison for her whole sentence...

Chron.com is the website of the 'main' newspaper for the area and where you will likelyfind updates as they are released. they kept up well with the Coe trial.

also looks as tho one reporter may have a greater opportunity to follow the case:

"Kudos to ace reporter

The Texas Associated Press Managing Editors could not have made a better choice for "Star Reporter of the Year" than by choosing Chronicle reporter Terri Langford. ("Chronicle journalists receive top honors in state competition," (Page B2, Monday).

For years now, Terri has fearlessly reported on the awful subject of child abuse, asking the necessary question: Why couldn't the murder of children such as Emma Thompson have been prevented by the governmental agencies that were aware of the abuse?

There are many fine reporters on the Chronicle's staff. But none finer, in my opinion, than Terri Langford."

Randy Burton, founder, Justice for Children, Houston

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Letters-Terri-Langford-banned-words-exotic-3456955.php

The big thanks goes to Kimster! She saw the need and put out an SOS. I just jumped in to help while she was busy with other things. Glad she was on the ball because we certainly want to be ready next year! Abigail needs to stay in jail for a long, long time.

Salem

Unfortunately Abigail will not spend near enough time in prison. Once she has served her full sentence, she will still be able to have a life.

That choice is over for Emma.

This case kills me. :(

Hi! I'm a new member here.

I wrote a comment and accidentally poofed it. Then I wrote a second comment and clicked preview. The page froze. So I lost that comment.

Later today I will try a third comment.

I have followed the Emma Thompson case as it unfolded and I know Emma's maternal family well.

I will never, ever forget Emma. She has a very special place in my heart forever!

I hope to share some info about the possibility of "Emma's Law."

Need to go for now. Will be back later today.

Emma . . . gone . . . but not forgotten!

Parole eligibility may get a second look

Posted: Oct 29, 2012 6:42 PM CDT
Updated: Oct 29, 2012 11:25 PM CDT

By Jeff Stebbins
KFDA - Amarillo, TX

Amarillo, TX -- Texas inmates serving time for crimes against children could spend even more time behind bars if legislators choose to enact some proposed reforms.

Under current policy, many inmates, including those convicted of crimes against children, are automatically eligible for parole every year, but some say those inmates should have no such privilege.

"Emma's Law" would be named after Emma Thompson, a 4 year-old Houston girl who was raped and beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend in 2009.

Lucas Coe was convicted and sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Read more:

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/19947733/parole-eligibility-may-get-a-second-look

New Parole Rules Sought in Cases Involving Children

By: Maurice Chammah, The Texas Tribune

MyHighPlains.com - Amarillo, TX
Updated: October 29, 2012

220x165.jpg

When Laurie Thompson read a letter about the parole eligibility of the woman in prison for the death of Thompson's granddaughter, she thought the review date -- two years into a 20-year sentence -- was a typo. "We had been reassured that the perpetrators of this crime would have no hope of being released in the near future," Thompson said.

In 2009, Thompson's granddaughter, 4-year-old Emma Thompson, was beaten to death after being sexually assaulted by her mother's boyfriend, Lucas Coe. A jury convicted Emma's mother, Abigail Young, of "reckless endangerment of child by omission," and sentenced her to 20 years.

Young became eligible for parole after two years and will be automatically reviewed again every year that she is in prison.

"We really have no relief," Thompson said. "We have to revisit the details of the crime every time. It seems like we've been given a 20-year sentence."

As a result of Young's parole eligibility, Thompson and other victims' advocates are pursuing legislation that would end automatic yearly parole reviews in cases where the victim is a child.

Read more:

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/19947733/parole-eligibility-may-get-a-second-look

Emma's Law: Bill named after murdered toddler would change parole law on felonies against children

by Kevin Quinn
KTRK - Houston, TX

January 14, 2013

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A bill named after a four-year-old murdered in 2009 is in the works.

Representative Debbie Riddle's office says the bill is a direct response to what happened following little Emma Thompson's death.

Emma was beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend, Lucas Coe.

Authorities found over 80 bruises on the girl's body along with a fractured skull.

Both Coe and Emma's mother -- Abigail Young -- were convicted. Coe was sentenced to life in prison.

Read more & view video:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8954397

Bill Named After Murdered Toddler Would Change Parole Law

Reporter: Kevin Quinn, KTRK
Houston, Tx

Posted: Mon 8:22 PM, Jan 14, 2013
KBTX - Bryan, TX

emma+thompson.jpg

A bill named after a four-year-old murdered in 2009 is in the works.

Representative Debbie Riddle's office says the bill is a direct response to what happened following little Emma Thompson's death.

Snipped:

Young, a former Brenham nurse, is currently serving 20 years for her involvement. She has already been denied parole once, and her case is now up for review annually.

Emma's grandmother, Laurie Thompson, says because of state law they have to relive her murder every year when Young comes up for parole. She and a Houston official want to change that.

Read more:

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/...w-on-felonies-against-children-186884622.html#

EMMA THOMPSON BILL

(JANUARY 15TH, 2013) FSW

KWHI - AM Radio -- Brenham, Tx

01012EMMATHOMPSON.JPG

Emma Thompson died in 2009.

Emma Thompson, the 4-year old daughter of a former Brenham nurse, died horribly three years ago, now, a new law named for her is before the legislature that will keep people who commit violence against children from ever committing that crime again.

State Rep. Debbie Riddle is proposing the ‘Emma Thompson Law’ before this session of the state Legislature.

She says it is in direct response to Emma’s death in the spring of 2009. Emma had been beaten to death by her mother’s boyfriend, Lucas Coe. Authorities found over 80 bruises on the girl’s body along with a fractured skull.

Both Coe and her mother, Abigail Young of Brenham, were convicted. Coe for the rest of his life, Young for 20 years.
Riddle’s office says that the bill is in direct response to what happened following Emma’s death.

Young was found guilty of reckless endangerment to a child. That’s a third degree felony. Only first degree felonies are on a list of offenses from which the Texas Parole Board is given latitude to set off parole hearing dates for up to five years.

Riddle’s bill, with the support of Emma’s grandmother, Laurie Thompson will change the law. Emma’s law would make any felony against a child, first, second or third degree eligible for the five year offset.

The Texas Civil Rights Project argues that such legislation would equate to a backdoor attempt to keep people in prison.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Source:

http://www.kwhi.com/news1.htm#EMMA THOMPSON BILL
KWHI - Brenham, Tx 1-15-13

Bill would change parole law on crimes against children

Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:18 am

The Banner Press - Brenham, Tx

A Texas House member is pushing a bill that would allow the state parole board to delay considering some cases involving crimes against children.

Rep. Debbie Riddle’s office said the bill she plans to introduce is in response to the aftermath of 4-year-old Emma Thompson’s murder in 2009. Riddle represents District 150 in Houston.

Thompson died from injuries which authorities said she received in a beating by Lucas Coe, who was later sentenced to life in prison.

Thompson’s mother, Abigail Young, was sentenced to 20 years after being convicted of reckless injury to a child, a third-degree felony. Coe was Young’s former boyfriend.

Read more - Subscription required:

http://www.brenhambanner.com/news/b...cle_9531b59a-5f37-11e2-b05f-001a4bcf887a.html

This is a direct Link to House Bill (HB) 431
It is the full text of the 'Introduced Version' of hopefully "Emma's Law":

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/billtext/html/HB00431I.htm
State of Texas Legis. - HB 431 - Introduced Version - Bill Text --
Texas State Representative Debbie Riddle

83R2275 KCR-D

By: Riddle H.B. No. 431

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
relating to the eligibility of certain inmates convicted of injury
to a child for release to mandatory supervision.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 508.149(a), Government Code, as amended
by Chapters 1 (S.B. 24) and 122 (H.B. 3000), Acts of the 82nd
Legislature, Regular Session, 2011, is reenacted and amended to
read as follows:
(a) An inmate may not be released to mandatory supervision
if the inmate is serving a sentence for or has been previously
convicted of:
(1) an offense for which the judgment contains an
affirmative finding under Section 3g(a)(2), Article 42.12, Code of
Criminal Procedure;
(2) a first degree felony or a second degree felony
under Section 19.02, Penal Code;
(3) a capital felony under Section 19.03, Penal Code;
(4) a first degree felony or a second degree felony
under Section 20.04, Penal Code;
(5) an offense under Section 21.11, Penal Code;
(6) a felony under Section 22.011, Penal Code;
(7) a first degree felony or a second degree felony
under Section 22.02, Penal Code;
(8) a first degree felony under Section 22.021, Penal
Code;
(9) a first degree felony under Section 22.04, Penal
Code;
(9-a) a second degree felony or a third degree felony
under Section 22.04, Penal Code, if the victim of the offense is a
child;
(10) a first degree felony under Section 28.02, Penal
Code;
(11) a second degree felony under Section 29.02, Penal
Code;
(12) a first degree felony under Section 29.03, Penal
Code;
(13) a first degree felony under Section 30.02, Penal
Code;
(14) a felony for which the punishment is increased
under Section 481.134 or Section 481.140, Health and Safety Code;
(15) an offense under Section 43.25, Penal Code;
(16) an offense under Section 21.02, Penal Code;
(17) a first degree felony under Section 15.03, Penal
Code;
(18) an offense under Section 43.05, Penal Code; [or]
(19) an offense under Section 20A.02, Penal Code; or
(20) [(18)] an offense under Section 20A.03, Penal
Code.
SECTION 2. The change in law made by this Act applies only
to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this Act.
An offense committed before the effective date of this Act is
governed by the law in effect on the date the offense was committed,
and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose. For
purposes of this section, an offense was committed before the
effective date of this Act if any element of the offense occurred
before that date.
SECTION 3. To the extent of any conflict, this Act prevails
over another Act of the 83rd Legislature, Regular Session, 2013,
relating to nonsubstantive additions to and corrections in enacted
codes.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2013.

I urge all Texas residents to contact your legislator(s) and ask he or she to support Texas State Representative (TSR) Debbie Riddle's House Bill 431 re "Emma's Law". Reference HB 431.

I contacted my State Representative Tuesday and she is aware of HB 431 and supports it. She will be working with State Rep. Debbie Riddle on this very important bill.

If you do not know who represents you in your District, you can find out at this Link and also how to send an e-mail to the appropriate
person(s).

Questions 1 and 2 will give you instructions! Very easy!

Texas Legislature Online:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Resources/FAQ.aspx#2

Texas residents, thank you for taking the time to contact your District representative(s).

Please remember that precious Emma Thompson (barely 4 years-old) died a brutal, horrific death. Her mother, Abigail Young, became eligible for parole review, after serving only 19 months of a 20 year sentence. Young's parole was denied in August, 2012.

However, as per current Texas law, Abigail Young will be up for parole review every year.

It would be nice for the Texas Board of Pardons & Paroles to have Emma's Law for a possible 5 year off-set versus every year in felony cases involving children.

This law would apply to convicted felons with felony convictions involving children.

Please contact your State Representative . . . do this for precious Emma Thompson.

"Emma's Law" would help serve justice for many children who have been abused or murdered in Texas. Those convicted of felony crimes involving children should serve their sentence and not be eligible for parole every year. Children are the innocent victims!

Precious Emma Thompson . . . gone . . . . . but not forgotten!
442181.gif

2mpidrt.jpg
~~~
628x471.jpg

Photos courtesy: Amanda Young Mathews (Emma's maternal aunt)

Note: The photo on the left of Emma was taken on Easter Sunday, 2009, at the family ranch in Brenham, Tx. As you can see, Emma is among the beautiful Texas Bluebonnets.

The photo on the right was taken of Emma at Christmas, 2008.

It was Emma's last Christmas and last Easter!

In regard to HB 431, the following has been posted by Laurie Thompson, Emma's paternal grandmother, on Justice For Emma Thompson facebook:

1/16/13 - Laurie Thompson: Unfortunately, as written, the bill will become effective on September 1, 2013 and will not impact the parole consideration for Abigail Young. She will continue to be eligible for parole each and every year of her sentence. We are looking to see if this can be addressed before passage of the bill. I will keep you posted.

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-For-Emma-Thompson/203731323059815
Facebook: Justice For Emma Thompson

This is so sad for the family, having to relive this every year. I can't believe she was first eligible after 2 years. That amazes me in a bad way!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back