Winter storms to get named! Greek and Roman names

Show Me

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
No more bad winter storms with only the year and region. Are we ready for Brutus, Plato, Q, Xerxes, Yogi? Hmmm....Brutal Brutus? Ice Storm Q? Helen's Hell? With the last 3 years of terrible winter storms in many parts of the USA at once, naming the winter storms might make it easier to refer to the past storms in the future.

Why greek and roman names? Why not Frosty? Wendy? Chinchilla? Last ice storm I was in I called $#@(*&%!

Good idea? Bad idea? I must admit I like it. Still what's on the menu for 2013 to 2014 winter storms? Dog names? Russian names? Ancient Chinese names? What's the winter naming game plan weather bureau?

More at the link below.

------------------------

The Weather Channel wants viewers to be on a first-name basis with the foulest of winter weather. The cable channel announced Tuesday that it will give names to the worst winter storms much like the National Hurricane Center does for tropical storms.

“Naming winter storms will raise awareness, which will lead to more pro-active efforts to plan ahead, resulting in less impact on the public overall,” Tom Niziol, the Weather Channel's winter weather expert, said on the channel's website.

Niziol wrote that winter storms are commonly given names in Europe, but he said that the lack of a single authority over winter storms in the United States, like the hurricane center is the central authority on tropical storms, is one reason why the winter blasts are not named.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/02/are-you-ready-for-winter-storm-rocky/?hpt=hp_t3

Kewl! I like it. Sophoclean sleet!

Kewl! I like it. Sophoclean sleet!
hahaha...I like it! Maybe next year.

Names are: Athena, Brutus, Caesar, Draco, Euclid, Freyr, Gandorf, Helen, Iago, Jove, Khan, Luna, Magnus, Nemo, Orko, Plato, Q, Rocky, Saturn, Triton, Ukko, Virgil, Walda, Xerxes, Yogi, Zeus.

Would have to be Ice Storm Iago, because Iago's the coldest character in tragedy.

Would have to be Ice Storm Iago, because Iago's the coldest character in tragedy.

Yes!

If we get up to K, I want to see William Shatner clip in the Wrath of Khan where Shatner is screaming Khan!!! Which I will be doing if we get winter storm Khan in the midwest and I am out shoveling 3 foot of snow from my driveway and in the backyard for the dogs to do their business.

What's next ? Twister Tom? Tornado Ted? Flood Frank? Tsunami Sam? Earthquake Ed?

"Et tu, Brute?" asks winter storm Caesar.

Whatever their names, the storms are likely to bring the winter of our discontent.

What's in the Name of Nor'easter Athena? (thheatlanticwire.com)
---
Finally, we have a name worthy of a storm.
---
Athena, "goddess of wisdom, of household arts and crafts, of spinning and weaving, of textiles." Goddess of war! She also (according to mythology) invented the flute, the plough, and the ox-yoke, the horse bridle and the chariot. She is powerful, something we should respect in a storm, yet firm, yet musical, yet good at making stuff. Therefore, we hope, she will be gentle with us and leave just a trace of slush, perhaps a dose of cold air, maybe, if she insists, some rain, and then depart so we may enjoy a relatively mild rest of the week after Thursday.
---
the rest at link above

Winter storm Athena on the heels of Hurricane Sandy! So weird.

It'll be interesting to see how the winter storm names work for us. To me I think it will work out fine as a few years ago we had a LOT of bad winter storms. Conversations went something like this:

ME:"Remember that bad storm last winter?"
My Sister;"The one at the end of February?"
Me:"No not the 6" snow, the one before that...the 10" snow."
My Sister,"We never got a 10" snow here. Was it the one before the ice storm that knock out power for three days?"
Me: "We never lost power. Which ice storm before the snow? We had like 3 of them."
My Sister:"Never mind."

Named storms will give clarity. Example:

Me:"Remember the bad storm Athena last winter?"
My Sister:"Yeah, Athena was an awful storm."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members