Jerry Sandusky sentenced to 30-60 years in 2012 *Appeal denied 2023*

Sorry, I just realized you guys were all over this in the other thread...Oops!

:newhere::blushing:

My friend Roxine was at the sentencing hearing, so she might post here later on to give a firsthand account.

The creep is almost 70. He got 30 years minimum. He will never see the outside of a prison alive.

Thank you, Judge Cleland! Thank you, Pennsylvania.

Sorry, I just realized you guys were all over this in the other thread...Oops!

:newhere::blushing:

My friend Roxine was at the sentencing hearing, so she might post here later on to give a firsthand account.

That's fine, TCG....that was the first news...we can discuss it more here now...look forward to a firsthand account from Roxine!

In session says nothing about what actual time served might be. What's the bottom line in pa.? As to pedophile convictees sentences? Time served? Time off for good behavior? None? Some? You'd think IS would mention it?

Vin y jus said parole eligibility at 98. Hope that's true

Yep....Judge Cleland gave him a very nice present....30 years MINIMUM....up to 60....the only thing being designated a violent sexual predator does is determine where he will be housed in the good ol Penn....it doesn't get him out earlier....

Remember the quote we had earlier: Penn State to State Penn.....it's come to pass now, lol.....

ETA: JS and his crew can appeal all they want but I personally don't think it's gonna make the grade on the basis of inadequate counsel and no time to prepare...Judge Cleland was very careful in his rulings and Amendola messed up himself when he did not have the preliminary hearing....he would have had more time and more evidence if he had gone that route...his own fault....

Well it's obvious their main appeal issue will be rushing the case to trial, no continuance, no time to prepare a defense. As vinny pointed out to the defense atty, so what. If there is a new trial what's goin to change. N the atty goes off on their ability to produce a psychologist that would testify about "transference" blah blah blah.

Btw it was good to see ole jer slimmed down, looking quite not so fat, dumb and happy. Looks like prison isn't really agreeing with ole jer. No tv, no radio I hear. Too bad. Not.:)

Good news! Heard applause in the restaurant I was in when it came down.

Enjoy prison Jerry! They do not look too kindly to scum like you. I just realized your legal problems are far from over. :crazy: :seeya:

Quotes from Sandusky sentencing, Penn State, more

http://washingtonexaminer.com/quotes-from-sandusky-sentencing-penn-state-more/article/feed/2037437

Here's a few:

"The tragedy of this crime is that it's a story of betrayal. The most obvious aspect is your betrayal of 10 children. I'm not going to sentence you to centuries in prison, although the law will permit that." — Judge John Cleland, to Sandusky, before sentencing him to at least 30 years in prison.

"His statement today was a masterpiece of banal self-delusion — entirely self-focused as if he himself were the victim. It was, in a word, ridiculous." — Lead prosecutor Joe McGettigan.

"(Sex offenders) will basically convince themselves that what they're doing is justified ... that they're simply responding to the overtures of someone. What they miss, though, is that they typically set the situation up." — forensic psychologist Robert Wright, who runs a sex-offender treatment program in Tampa, Fla.

I wonder if Sandusky is going to be tried in Texas or in federal court for molestation in the 1999 Alamo Bowl.

I wrote this for my blog - but will repost here -
Today I attended the Jerry Sandusky sentencing in Bellefonte, PA. To say that it was emotionally draining is an understatement. From McGettigan's opening statement to the young men who spoke both in person and via letter read into the record, it was gut wrenching to hear their cries and feel their pain. They spoke with an eloquence that belied their youth. One quoted scripture, telling Jerry Sandusky that the only way to gain forgiveness in the eyes of the Lord was to admit what he had done. And, while unspoken, I believe in the eyes of this young man. Another stated emphatically that he would never forgive Jerry Sandusky, and then, tearfully, ASKED for forgiveness from the other young men who came after him, wracked with guilt for not speaking out sooner.

I didn't take notes, as I sat sobbing in that courtroom. Feeling their pain, understanding their need to speak, to be heard, to tell Jerry Sandusky what he had done to them, their desire for him to admit his offense, to say he was sorry....

And, of course having to listen to Jerry Sandusky's rambling, disjointed, oft times outrageous statement. About half way through I literally stopped listening to him as I watched two of the three young men who spoke today sitting a few rows ahead of me. I watched them bury their heads in their hands, their loved one's arm wrapped around them, holding them close, I watched them take deep breaths, close their eyes, saw their shoulders heave as they cried silent tears. I didn't want to hear what he had to say any longer, I just wanted to hold those boys close and take away all of their pain, all of the pain I know they have yet to endure, to give them back what they so desperately wanted - their childhoods, their youth, their innocence.

Last night, I had the honor of having dinner with one of the young men who spoke today. I spent a few hours with him and his mother. We had a quiet table in the corner of a quiet restaurant and this young man was nothing short of amazing. So intelligent, well-spoken, there was a light inside of him that made me smile.

I was nervous prior to meeting him, not sure what to say, but the moment he walked in and shook my hand, flashing me a beautiful smile, there was immediately a level of comfort between the two of us. We were able to speak freely; nothing was off the table. He peppered me with questions about the charity, about our plans, and about my history of abuse. I was completely honest with him about my experiences, my history, my coping mechanisms. Likewise, he answered my questions without hesitation. I will not relay that portion of our conversation but will say that yes, he is struggling - desperately at times he admitted to me, but he is working through it all, one step at a time.

I will share this - he told me how much the book we gave to him meant to him and how he often turns to it to read the words of encouragement that all of you sent. His mother said he (and the other young men) don't really seem to understand the impact that they have had on so many of us. I told him what he (and the others) had done for me - how they had given me a voice, how their courage gave me the courage to speak publicly for the first time and how through this process of founding TREE Climbers, I realized that I hadn't gone through the "Recover" portion myself, and therefore started seeing a therapist over 7 months ago.

At the end of the dinner he told me he was interested in being a part of the charity. We exchanged contact information and will iron out specifics over the next few months, but we definitely look forward to his involvement and to working with him in the future. I am sure there is much he can bring to the organization and am honored to have him be an active participant going forward.

I also spoke with several of the attorneys for the other young men who all expressed their thanks for the books as well. Some had tears in their eyes telling me how much it meant to their clients, how touched they were, how they (the attorneys) cried when they read it - so to everyone who contributed, know that your messages were received, your messages were read, and your messages were definitely appreciated.

As to the verdict - while I understand why Judge Cleland handed down the minimum 30, maximum 60, I, personally, would have liked to have seen at least 100 year sentence. But there is some comfort in knowing that Jerry Sandusky was sentenced to effectively a life sentence today.

When I got home a few hours ago, I picked up my little boy from school. He ran up and gave me a hug, welcoming me home, telling me he missed me and asking where I'd been. I sat him down and asked him if he remembered that man we saw on TV last year who was being led away in handcuffs...I asked if he remember that the bad man had hurt little boys and he said yes...and I said that I went to see him being sentenced to prison. Tommy's eyes got really big and he whispered "he's going to jail?" And I said yes, he's going to jail for a really long time, for the rest of his life. Tommy sat back and then he said "well that's good, because now he can't hurt any more little boys."

And here I sit, sobbing again. It's been a very emotionally draining day...

Some notes about the sentence and Judge Cleland's comments:

Regarding the Verdict:
"I'm not going to sentence you to centuries. It makes no sense for a 68-year-old man. This sentence will put you in prison for the rest of your life."

Also, some have stated it was a smart move on Judge Cleland's part because it takes away the appeal argument of the Judge throwing the book at Sandusky by sentencing him egregiously.

On the Appeal:
Judge Cleland stated for the record that even in the event that on appeal charges for Victim 8 (the excited utterance by the janitor who now suffers from dementia - defense will appeal on "hearsay" evidence) - the sentences for that particular victim are to run concurrent with other sentences, so it will not affect the minimum 30 year sentence.

To the Victims:
Probably the most poignant statement made today was by Judge Cleland when he spoke directly to the victims:

"It is for your courage and not for your assault that you will be remembered."

I have said since Jury selection that Judge Cleland is an amazing man and has handled this case at all times with extreme care, handling attorneys, the defendant, the jurors and all of the witnesses fairly and respectfully.

Thanks isn't enough Roxine. Thank you for sharing. I'm in tears now.

Hope Jerry Sandusky hears this song more often in prison.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_C0SK490h8"]Another Brick In The Wall(Part 2) - YouTube[/ame]

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back