Squirrel dinner prep maybe sparked Michigan fire Associated Press

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/squirrel-dinner-prep-maybe-sparked-michigan-fire-144017963.htm

Squirrel dinner prep maybe sparked Michigan fire
Associated Press – 1 hr 59 mins agol

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch....

To be clear, I'm not laughing at the people who were displaced because that's tragic and to be honest it would take a lot of restraint not to bust his nose.

What I am laughing at is the the thought of someone cooking a squirrel with a propane torch. :laughcry: How can the thought of cooking a squirrel with a propane torch enter a person's noggin and not be immediately rejected?! :banghead:

A better question is; How can the thought of cooking a squirrel enter a person's noggin and not be immediately rejected?

I had an ex that was a hunter....he would eat everything he shot. Yep, even squirrels. ICK

Of course he didn't use a propane torch to cook it :)

I had an ex that was a hunter....he would eat everything he shot. Yep, even squirrels. ICK

Of course he didn't use a propane torch to cook it :)

I'm going to assume that this is one reason he's an ex?

:what: When I heard this report on the radio this morning (WWJ), I thought: W.T.F.!!! Methinks the dude who tried to roast a squirrel with a blow torch is a little squirrelly. :floorlaugh:

http://news.yahoo.com/squirrel-dinner-prep-maybe-sparked-michigan-fire-144017963.htm

Squirrel dinner prep maybe sparked Michigan fire
Associated Press – 1 hr 59 mins agol

What I am laughing at is the the thought of someone cooking a squirrel with a propane torch. :laughcry: How can the thought of cooking a squirrel with a propane torch enter a person's noggin and not be immediately rejected?! :banghead:

I know. Everyone knows the best way is to sautee or deep fry and then serve it with a white gravy for gray or black squirrels and a brown gravy w/peas for red squirrels.

I know. Everyone knows the best way is to sautee or deep fry and then serve it with a white gravy for gray or black squirrels and a brown gravy w/peas for red squirrels.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::clap:

What wine goes best with squirrel? What is the best side dish? I was thinking Pinot Noir and acorn stuffing.

What wine goes best with squirrel? What is the best side dish? I was thinking Pinot Noir and acorn stuffing.

I've only had it when I was a kid. My dad used to hunt them and make a stew. It was good but the total turnoff for me was biting into a shotgun pellet. My choice of drink was cherry KoolAid, extra sugar.

Taste like chicken.....
whistling.gif

And, of course, walnut balls rolled in confectioners' sugar for dessert :cupcake:

From Steely's second link:

the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur

I grew up eating squirrel. You eat what you can shoot or catch when you're poor and hungry.

I'm not sure that this resident was going to eat this squirrel. You have to skin a squirrel. It's not difficult, in fact skinning a squirrel is easier than a lot of other game. (make a cut down near the tail. Place it on flat ground put your foot on the flap of skin and tail, grab the hind legs and pull up hard---skin comes off like a glove. FWIW)

(also soak them in brine, tames down the gamey taste :)) ETA: I don't eat game since becoming an adult. I can remember saying to myself---one day I'm going to have enough money to buy all my meat at the darn krogers haha!

Buy anway, I don't think they were planning to eat this squirrel. But I do wonder why they were burning the fur off? Sounds to me like possible cruelty. I wonder if that squirrel was deceased before they took propane to it?

I've never heard of anyone burning fur off --ever. If that is what he was doing, he must have had the wine (a large box) before thinking about dinner ahaha!

LOL TS. You couldn't have paid me as a kid to eat a red squirrel. yucky meat. But a grey or fox that fattened itself up on pecan and walnuts...those were good eats. :)

ETA: We always had cream gravy made from the skillet drippings from frying the squirrel.

Ever see a black one?

Attachments

• 250px-Black_squirrel_in_Santa_Clara_CA.jpg
    250px-Black_squirrel_in_Santa_Clara_CA.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 4
I never saw a black one in KY TrackerSam but I did see white one's. (they aren't albino)

(I know they have black squirrels in an area of KY but they were put there deliberately and it was after I was grown, I'm almost 51 yrs)

No squirrels in Hawaii and it's illegal to bring one. But there are scads of mongoose. Just sharing.

ETA: When I swore I'd have enough money to buy all my meat at the kroger when I was a kid lol I included that I would never in my life eat another internal organ and I wouldn't eat anything made from blood. And I haven't! LOL

Attachments

• phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg
    phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3
Used to see black squirrels only when visiting Ontario, Canada, but now there are black squirrels throughout Michigan.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back