"The Note"

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please discuss the Note here. If there is another thread for this subject, please bump it and I will merge. I know we have talked about the note alot, but I don't see a specific thread.

Thanks,

Salem

it could have been a note to him.

it could have been a note that he picked up that was to someone else.

it could have been a note to him but addressed to the wrong name.

it could have been a note to him but signed by fake names.

he could have been wearing someone else's pants, unaware there was a note in them.

hi, all.

i am new to the site so please excuse any mistakes!

i have been following this case since i first saw it on unsolved mysteries. i recently got back into looking into it when the new likeness of jason doe that came out earlier this year.

when cases are so hard to crack, i often wonder if some of the "facts" of the case that we are working from are wrong. this brings me to the note found with jason.

i have always heard and read that the note reads, at the end:

Caroline T.
and
Caroline O

i have studied the note and i think this is not what it reads. i believe it reads:

Caroline T.
and
Caroline D

when i look at the note (linked below) i notice this about the O/D after the second "Caroline":

- it seems to have a vertical portion on the left.
- the vertical portion is the "closed" with an arc from top to bottom.

this is not how any of the other "o's" on the note are made. in other words in the note like "to" and "go," the writer seems to trace over part of the letter in order to continue to the next letter. they seems to write from 7 or 8 o'clock to 12 back counterclockwise past 6 past 12 and then on to the next letter, if that makes sense.

so, i took the best resolution image of the note that i could find (here) and i showed it to a handwriting expert who has over 25 years experience in handwriting analysis, question documents, forgery, etc. this person had never heard of the case, had never seen the note, etc.

i did NOT tell this person what i thought the note read or what conventional wisdom thought it read (Caroline O). i simply said, take a look and tell me what you think the "signatures" on the bottom are.

the expert said that it read: Caroline D

i've spoken to the medical examiner's office. they do not have the note as it resides with the state police, as far as they know. they do not have a higher resolution copy of it.

do any of you know of a higher res image? i am guessing the images we have seen on the web are from the unsolved mysteries episode.

the handwriting expert is happy to look at the note again if we find a better image.

forgive me if this has been discussed before. i haven't seen mention of it anywhere on the web.

i look forward to your comments and insights.

njf520

What I have always wondered is if anyone reconizes the smiley face? Does that mean anything to anyone here? Have you seen it before? Almost looks 'familiar' to me.

What I have always wondered is if anyone reconizes the smiley face? Does that mean anything to anyone here? Have you seen it before? Almost looks 'familiar' to me.

could be jerry garcia?

Is it just me, or was the "Caroline O" signature written by a different person who signed the "Caroline T" signature?

The handwriting looks different. JMHO

Is it just me, or was the "Caroline O" signature written by a different person who signed the "Caroline T" signature?

The handwriting looks different. JMHO

i asked the handwriting expert that question. the expert said no, they were written by the same person. note the "l" in caroline. that is made in a very odd way. the chance that different writers both made that same strange "l" is very low.

do you guys have a link to a picture of the note? i can't seem to find it anymore (my old link is broken). thanks in advance.

I have always wondered if the note wasn't for someone else. Possibly he was at the concert with a fellow named Jason who had to leave unexpectedly. Possibly would explain why the UID had no ID and was hitching a ride south. If the other person was the driver and left quickly, while the UID decides to remain and see the concert not realizing his ID is in the car.

Which if so would not get us any closer to an identity.

at this point, almost 18 years later, i think you'd have to get the information out to a new set of eyeballs. maybe a mention on a late-night tv show (tonight show, letterman, etc) or some type of national mention that goes beyond "investigate discovery" or "48 hours" type shows. someone out there hasn't heard from a friend, brother, son, coworker, schoolmate in eighteen years and either hasn't been able to figure out how to let someone know or doesn't even realize it yet.

Hmmm 8truthseeker8.... It's worth a shot to put a link to the Jason doe fb page or something in a comment or something. I am at work and don't really have the capability to access fb here, but maybe someone else does?

I know this may be a longshot and I am not sure if I can post this (so mods please remove if not allowed) but I found a link to the Grateful Dead show 06/25/1995 and several of the attendees of the show have posted

http://www.dead.net/show/june-25-1995

not only have several posted, but there are about 600 users of that forum who have indicated they were at that show. seems like a good place to ask questions. <modsnip>

might not be a bad idea to put something more in-depth. very interesting that the other comments indicate bad rain and lightning that day and i saw what i took as a reference to someone getting killed and/or struck by lightning. i guess in reading through this grateful doe case i didn't realize how awful the weather was that day.

If you click on the user names (in red) their real names are posted..... maybe, just maybe a Caroline will be in there......

Now that you say that, it doesn't look like Caroline x 2 to me either. The blurred out bit doesn't help! I'm going to see if I can get a better quality note, as mine is really bad.
That would be awesome. I could totally be off, but what if it is Caroline and Corrine? I knew girls who would sign their name with the first initial of their last and that's just how they did it in my yearbook....mayyyybe

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back