Student cooks pet store animals and serves them at school

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A 16-year-old Montville Township boy's actions are being investigated after he cooked a couple of animals he reportedly picked up at a pet store.

Thompson Township police are investigating the incident, which occurred Wednesday at Ledgemont High School in Thompson Township.

The Geauga Humane Society is assisting in the investigation.
Thompson Police Chief Robert Fowler said his department would be conducting interviews Thursday night and no report was available.

High School Principal Beto Gage said the boy intended to prepare a meal of wild game for fellow students in Diana Stevens' Living Skills class, which is similar to home economics.

However, according to Geauga Humane Officer Sarah Westman, the boy purchased a rabbit and guinea pig from a pet store, killed them at some point, and brought them into the class, where they were cooked and eaten.

At issue is whether the boy broke any laws, namely the state statute against animal cruelty, which forbids needless killing or committing an act of cruelty against an animal.

"If you're going to eat it, is it needless?" Westman said.

http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13795769&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21849&rfi=6

I live in a rural county in Ohio. While I was growning up my Dad used to hunt squirrels and rabbits and when he brought them home, he would have me help to clean them. They are good fried.
My son belongs to a 4H club and a common project they take is a meat rabbit- a rabbit raised to eat. Now guinea pig, I don't know about, but you never know what people will like.

I know this is old. Just happened to see it at the bottom of another post. The reason for my response is about guinea pigs. I used to raise piggies when I was young. Nope, didn't eat them. But in my research about them, I found that in S. America (can't remember which country) they used to, I think still do, raise guinea pigs for food. Esp the poorer people. Apparently, they actually taste like pork! But they are a cheaper food for people to raise as opposed to pigs or goats or whatever. I've always thought it was interesting, but I certainly couldn't eat one. But then again, my preference is vegetarian anyway.

I know this is old. Just happened to see it at the bottom of another post. The reason for my response is about guinea pigs. I used to raise piggies when I was young. Nope, didn't eat them. But in my research about them, I found that in S. America (can't remember which country) they used to, I think still do, raise guinea pigs for food. Esp the poorer people. Apparently, they actually taste like pork! But they are a cheaper food for people to raise as opposed to pigs or goats or whatever. I've always thought it was interesting, but I certainly couldn't eat one. But then again, my preference is vegetarian anyway.

I remember recently watching a Globe Trekker episode on PBS, and yeah, in places like Peru and Ecuador, fried guinea pig is a delicacy. The GT girl (may have been Megan McCormick) just couldn't bring herself to try it, but one of the locals was more than happy to eat it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back