Cardboard bicycle can change the world, says Israeli inventor

Reader

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/cardboard-bicycle-change-world-says-israeli-inventor-090732689.html

[has pic of the bike]

MOSHAV AHITUV, Israel (Reuters) - A bicycle made almost entirely of cardboard has the potential to change transportation habits from the world's most congested cities to the poorest reaches of Africa, its Israeli inventor says.

Izhar Gafni, 50, is an expert in designing automated mass-production lines. He is an amateur cycling enthusiast who for years toyed with an idea of making a bicycle from cardboard.

He told Reuters during a recent demonstration that after much trial and error, his latest prototype has now proven itself and mass production will begin in a few months.

"I was always fascinated by applying unconventional technologies to materials and I did this on several occasions. But this was the culmination of a few things that came together. I worked for four years to cancel out the corrugated cardboard's weak structural points," Gafni said..........

Elmish said the business model they had created meant that rebates for using "green" materials would entirely cancel out production costs and this could allow for bicycles to be given away for free in poor countries..........

The bicycles are not only very cheap to make, they are very light and do not need to be adjusted or repaired, the solid tires that are made of reconstituted rubber from old car tires will never get a puncture, Elmish said.

"These bikes need no maintenance and no adjustment, a car timing belt is used instead of a chain, and the tires do not need inflating and can last for 10 years," he said....................

This is very interesting but I wondered where the material to make the cardboard comes from?

I mean is it recycled cardboard? (I read the article but I might have missed that detail).

Would companies producing these bikes be constructing it out of new cardboard (made from wood pulp) and thereby increasing a demand in the cutting down of trees?

Interesting. Thanks for posting Reader!

This is very interesting but I wondered where the material to make the cardboard comes from?

I mean is it recycled cardboard? (I read the article but I might have missed that detail).

Would companies producing these bikes be constructing it out of new cardboard (made from wood pulp) and thereby increasing a demand in the cutting down of trees?

Interesting. Thanks for posting Reader!

Hey, Kat, thanks for your comment! I'll try to get more info on this but in the article it indicates these are recycled materials and also getting credit for using 'green' products, so I'm thinking it won't cost more trees....will try to find more on this....

Nimrod Elmish, Gafni's business partner, said cardboard and other recycled materials could bring a major change in current production norms .........

......the business model they had created meant that rebates for using "green" materials would entirely cancel out production costs .........

Also, one of the good things I liked about this is it lessens the need to use cheaper labor and can mean more jobs for wherever it is manufactured:

"This is a real game-changer. It changes ... the way products are manufactured and shipped, it causes factories to be built everywhere instead of moving production to cheaper labor markets, everything that we have known in the production world can change," he said.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back