GUILTY MA - Father Paul Shanley for child rape, Newton, 2002

Cass, I'm watching the defense attorney cross exam the victim right now. This is making me absolutely sick.

Oh! I just got home... what is the defense lawyer up to? :razz:

Cass, he's just been hammering the poor guy. What I wonder is, is this a preview of how the boy in the mj case is going to be questioned. I know mj's legal team have made no secret that they intend to destroy the accuser.

Just heard verdict is coming in 10 minutes. Will be read in open court per Nancy Grace on CTV.

Thank Goodness. I wonder if he will go the way of Father John Geoghan in prison?

englishleigh said:
Thank Goodness. I wonder if he will go the way of Father John Geoghan in prison?

We can only hope. I think there's an empty place in hell waiting just for him.

Jeana (DP) said:
We can only hope. I think there's an empty place in hell waiting just for him.

Oh, I so agree. Anyone who is suppose to be a role model and lead a congregation and then turn around and prey on them does have a special place in hell. That goes for all child molesters...the tragedy follows the victims for the rest of their lives.

Justice for more sexual abuse victims!!!:clap:

Take notice Michael Jackson!!!

I've been following this case as well. There was no doubt in my mind that this so-called priest was guilty and caused horrible devastation. We need some changes in our laws though.

1. Prior misdeeds need to be allowed at current trial. It shows a definite propensity to repeat.

2. Defendant should be required to take the stand and testify in their own case.

I was happy that it was allowed in this case that the Diocese had already paid this accuser $500,000.00. Therefore, his motive was not money.

His sentencing is set for next Tuesday. The prosecution asked that his bail be revoked, the Judge agreed, and ordered that he be taken into immediate custody. The priest made a hasty retreat into another room to avoid being seen getting handcuffed. Sweet Justice!

Sniffy38 said:
I've been following this case as well. There was no doubt in my mind that this so-called priest was guilty and caused horrible devastation. We need some changes in our laws though.

1. Prior misdeeds need to be allowed at current trial. It shows a definite propensity to repeat.

2. Defendant should be required to take the stand and testify in their own case.

I was happy that it was allowed in this case that the Diocese had already paid this accuser $500,000.00. Therefore, his motive was not money.

His sentencing is set for next Tuesday. The prosecution asked that his bail be revoked, the Judge agreed, and ordered that he be taken into immediate custody. The priest made a hasty retreat into another room to avoid being seen getting handcuffed. Sweet Justice!
I have to agree with you about the prior misdeeds/criminal history, but requiring a defendant to testify? You just know they will lie under oath... OJ thought he could charm the jury, but his defense team wouldn't allow him to testify because they knew he would lose his temper up on the witness stand.

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Paul R. Shanley[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold] , a former “street priest” who became one of the most notorious figures in the Catholic Church’s sexual abuse scandal, is set to be released from prison as early as this week after serving 12 years behind bars for raping a Sunday school student in the early 1980s.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Middlesex prosecutors said they had hoped to keep the 86-year-old defrocked priest behind bars even after his sentence was completed by having him declared a “sexually dangerous person.” But two doctors who examined Shanley found that he did not meet the required criteria, prosecutors said.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]“We are awaiting their final reports,” Middlesex District Attorney Marian T. Ryan’s office said in a statement Tuesday. “However, both doctors have informed us that they have concluded that Shanley does not satisfy the legal criteria for a petition to be filed.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Shanley was accused of abusing roughly two dozen victims over several decades, many of them troubled adolescents who came to him for counseling when he ran a “ministry for alienated youth” in Boston in the 1960s and ’70s.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...d-this-week/pyFwRtDom656Y5ELicdAuI/story.html[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Ex-priest convicted of Boston rape moving next to dance studio
An ex-priest involved in the Boston Roman Catholic church sex scandal has settled into his new home — across the street from a dance studio that teaches children.

Paul Shanley, who served 12 years in prison for the 1980s rape of a boy, arrived in Ware, Mass. on Friday. Walking with a cane, he was silent as reporters followed him to his new home in a yellow building.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back