What is the origin of the planking rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freespeech

Inactive
Reaction score
The following article from Money Watch, September 8, 2011, 'CEO Shacknai Wields Small Army Against Speculation on Death of His Girlfriend'

'...Media coverage has changed: A source close to the case told BNET that Rebecca told her family she believed Max, Shacknai's 6-year-old son, may have been "planking" on a stair rail before he suffered a fatal fall two days before she died. (Planking is a fad in which people photograph themselves lying face down in unusual locations.) USA Today initially published a story that included the planking reference, but that word was removed from later editions, as these images of Google's cache of two older versions of the story show:

USA Today did not return a message requesting comment. San Diego officials said at their press conference on the deaths that they had not heard of the planking theory from any witness, but there were no witnesses as to what Max was doing before he died. They theorized he must have run at the stair rail in order to gain enough momentum to sail over it and hit a chandelier before landing on the floor below.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_...on-on-death-of-his-girlfriend/?tag=bnetdomain.

I wondering if there is any truth in this and if Rebecca really told told her family that she believed Max had been planking.

If this were true, then this could be the reason CPD was trying to contact her. To verify the story.

If this was true and it was perceived that Rebecca was at fault as the adult in charge at the time then that may have been the true motive for her murder. I'm also wondering whether hospital records mention a planking episode. I can see a parent going into a rage and blaming the 'babysitter' on duty if their child had been seriously injured in a planking episode. That would make sense to me.

That also would have been a strong motive for scrubbing the planking references from the media. Possible someone is trying to hide the reason why Rebecca was murdered. Jmoo.

Good thread... I could surmise some other conclusions, like the whole 'planking' thing could have made the other children, mostly the Shacknai kids, seem responsible for introducing this earlier or encouraging it (not that anyone is responsible for him actually doing this on his own). Wasn't there something about this going on earlier in the day or within a few days before his accident? This could be something Jonah did not want discussed, not only because it involved his other kids, but because he may have been at home if it was going on at any other time. Also, gotta wonder if one of the kids or their friends FB pages/social media pages had such pictures of themselves or their friends. It would make some sense to me that Max put the scooter up there on the end of the banister and then tried to crawl up and lie on it? Maybe, IDK.

When did the initial references to planking come out in the two media sources mentioned - that would make a difference. Perhaps Dina was just suspicious something was being held back from her but didn't know what it was. Or maybe she read it in the media - but, if so, when.

Here is a different article that purports that Bremner stated that investigators told her the following,

'....Bremner said Zahau was not alone in the mansion when Max had his accident. She said that two of the child’s teenage siblings were present as well and that Zahau was in the shower at the time of the accident. Max’s mother and Jonah Shacknai were divorced, and Zahau had recently divorced as well.

Bremner said investigators told her that the child had been conducting a trick known as “planking,” or lying horizontally in unusual locations, around the staircase when he fell. Planking is a fad popularized with photographs and videos online....'

http://www.expertbriefings.com/news/dead-ceo-girlfriend-death-ruled-suicide/

Anne Bremner may be a witness in this case. If investigators told her that Max had been planking then why was that scrubbed from the investigative reports.

I think this planking thing is really big as a motive for murder. Why would Jonah's PR try to suppress this otherwise? That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense unless there is another angle here.

Another thing might fall into place if there had been a planking episode also. If Rebecca's sister and Jonah's two older children were there at the time they may be witnesses to a planking episode. Could it be possible that Max laid face down on the rail and either slipped off or Ocean pushed him off and he fell onto the chandelier and pulled it down with him.

Or possible someone accidentally rode the scooter into Max while he was planking. Possibly Ocean got in the way and they swerved to avoid hitting him and Max fell over. It could be possible that someone could cut their leg that way. There are many scenarios that can be played out with children X,G,N and Max, planking, the scooter, railing and Ocean that could result in someone having a deadly accident.

Some points to consider:

No hand injuries: If Max grabbed the chain link portion of the chandelier then he would not have the hand injuries that Dina reported he should have had.

Rush to clear the mansion of witnesses: Were the older kids, Rebecca's sister and the tenant's children rushed out of there to hush up a planking accident?

Attempts to suppress reports of planking: Was this the motive for murder?

Rebecca referred to as the babysitter: Was this used to demean her because she failed to properly supervise Max and possibly the other kids?

I recall the other posters mentioned that Rebecca may have had two groups of two visitors in each group.

The first group would have questioned her and demanded answers but did not kill her. However, they probably lost it and roughed her up and abused her.

After that the second group did damage control. They covered it up and cleaned up the mess. They couldn't let her live after the first groups interrogation. She would have reported it to the police. There would have been a scandal. The business career of one and the professional career of the other plus the social connections would suffer from shame and humiliation if Rebecca reported the interrogation. Imo, they murdered her because they felt they had to as their lifestyle was on the line. This is one possible scenario. Jmoo.

According to US Today...'Bremner said Zahau was not alone in the mansion when Max had his accident. She said that two of the child's teenage siblings were present and that Zahau was in the shower at the time of the accident. Max's mother and Jonah Shacknai were divorced, and Zahau had recently divorced as well.'

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news...death-ruled-suicide-family-objects/50233234/1

This article is almost the same as the one noted above but it doesn't have the planking reference. Possibly that was scrubbed. What is interesting here though is that the report of Max's older siblings being home was not scrubbed. Anyone have any theories as to how that didn't happen. I am going to guess that it didn't get scrubbed because it's true and can be proven.

I thought that XZ had originally told authorities that she thought Max may have been planking. Wasn't there something about that in her initial interviews?

I thought that XZ had originally told authorities that she thought Max may have been planking. Wasn't there something about that in her initial interviews?

I don't know. I don't recall that. Do you have a link?

I don't know. I don't recall that. Do you have a link?

No link because it was a question, not a statement. I just thought I remembered her discussing it because I wondered if it was the same credibility factor as saying Max said 'Ocean' before he passed out.

'The San Diego Police declared her death a suicide, claiming she was distraught over the injuries her boyfriend's son suffered during a fall in the mansion while in her care two days prior.'

The above statement is interesting because it is reversed into the an alternate and possibly truer statement by substituting three words. Change suicide for murder, she for unknown family members and distraught for enraged.

'The San Diego Police declared her death a murder, claiming unknown family members were enraged over the injuries her boyfriend's son suffered during a fall in the mansion while in her care two days prior.'

http://news.yahoo.com/rebecca-zahau-case-information-san-diego-police-172600607.html

No link because it was a question, not a statement. I just thought I remembered her discussing it because I wondered if it was the same credibility factor as saying Max said 'Ocean' before he passed out.

I don't know. I thought it could be up for discussion. If the statements about the older kids being there were not true then why weren't they scrubbed like the planking reference.

I don't know. I thought it could be up for discussion. If the statements about the older kids being there were not true then why weren't the scrubbed like the planking reference.

Anne Bremner put it out there as if she had been told about it by a witness.

I doubt she ever talked to the older Shaknai kids. But I bet she has spoken to XZ many times.

I also think that there was a concerted effort to discount the report that Rebecca told investigators that Max may have been planking and then the investigators told Bremner what Rebecca told them but did not put that in their reports that I know of.

Also, if Max had been planking then I don't think Rebecca would have killed herself especially if he had been told not to by her, his parents, older siblings and Rebecca's sister. However, since Rebecca ended up dead at the hand of another,imo, then maybe the planking thing was suppressed because they knew it would not wash as a motive for suicide but would be a stronger motive for murder.

I doubt she ever talked to the older Shaknai kids. But I bet she has spoken to XZ many times.

Bremner might have the reports on statements the older kids gave. Probably, they were also interviewed at some point but that wasn't advertised like the interview with Rebecca's sister.

Also, it was easier to push the suicide story with the other kids out of the picture. They would have given too much information. That may have pointed to someone being so enraged that they had the impetus and motive to kill Rebecca.

I also think that there was a concerted effort to discount the report that Rebecca told investigators that Max may have been planking and then the investigators told Bremner what Rebecca told them but did not put that in their reports that I know of.

Also, if Max had been planking then I don't think Rebecca would have killed herself especially if he had been told not to by her, his parents, older siblings and Rebecca's sister. However, since Rebecca ended up dead at the hand of another,imo, then maybe the planking thing was suppressed because they knew it would not wash as a motive for suicide but would be a stronger motive for murder.

I have a different take on it. First of all, planking is only done for cameras so you can post it online. So Max would not have been planking unless someone was taking a picture of it. But planking would not explain how he ended up so high in the iar anyway. he feel with force and momentum, not from a lying down still position.

I think 'someone' may have told RZ about planking as a possible explanation to cover up what really happened. But RZ eventually realized it was a lie and she also realized what really happened, which was too hard to live with. JMO

I have a different take on it. First of all, planking is only done for cameras so you can post it online. So Max would not have been planking unless someone was taking a picture of it. But planking would not explain how he ended up so high in the iar anyway. he feel with force and momentum, not from a lying down still position.

I think 'someone' may have told RZ about planking as a possible explanation to cover up what really happened. But RZ eventually realized it was a lie and she also realized what really happened, which was too hard to live with. JMO

It could have happened. Look at the pictures on this site. Some people are planking on rails. The blurb that introduces the slide show says people have died planking. We have no proof that there wasn't pictures of the kids planking. Also if Max saw the older kids do it maybe he wanted a picture to and was hamming for the camera.

Here's the slide blurb w/slideshow.

'...The fine art of planking, where people are photographed face down with stiffened arms and legs, has already swept out of Australia and taken the world by storm. Formally called “the laying down game,” it has encouraged people to produce surprising and surreal images that have entertained millions. This, our humble collection, chronicles what we regard as the finest plankers the Internet has to offer. If you’re inspired to plank yourself, do so with caution; planking has already cost people their jobs and their lives. Keep reading below, and plank safe!..."

http://www.geekosystem.com/best-planking-pictures/#34

It could have happened. Look at the pictures on this site. Some people are planking on rails. The blurb that introduces the slide show says people have died planking. We have no proof that there wasn't pictures of the kids planking. Also if Max saw the older kids do it maybe he wanted a picture to and was hamming for the camera.

Here's the slide blurb w/slideshow.

'...The fine art of planking, where people are photographed face down with stiffened arms and legs, has already swept out of Australia and taken the world by storm. Formally called “the laying down game,” it has encouraged people to produce surprising and surreal images that have entertained millions. This, our humble collection, chronicles what we regard as the finest plankers the Internet has to offer. If you’re inspired to plank yourself, do so with caution; planking has already cost people their jobs and their lives. Keep reading below, and plank safe!..."

http://www.geekosystem.com/best-planking-pictures/#34

I have no doubt people have died planking. But in this specific case, how would planking enable his tiny body to fly up over the chandelier? He flew over that balcony. Planking involves lying still.

And again, who was taking his picture? planking is done for the picture to be taken.

I highly doubt that if the older kids had ben there, it would still be a secret. XZ would have told someone and the cops could have easliy confirmed where they were. If Jonah lied about taking them away early that morning, LE would know that already.

Here is an example of banister planking:

http://www.gotjokes.net/funny-pictures/planking/banister-plank.html

Below is a video showing a perpendicular plank at 1:00-1:10. The video is less than two minutes long. That could have definitely happened and landed Max on the top of his head. The video is really silly but they do it for fun. However, if you bear with this silly video you can see how Max could have totally landed on his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_nUnXB1ry8&feature=fvwrel

Here is an example of banister planking:

http://www.gotjokes.net/funny-pictures/planking/banister-plank.html

Below is a video showing a perpendicular plank at 1:00-1:10. The video is less than two minutes long. That could have definitely happened and landed Max on the top of his head. The video is really silly but they do it for fun. However, if you bear with this silly video you can see how Max could have totally landed on his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_nUnXB1ry8&feature=fvwrel

I am not saying he could not have landed on his head. I am saying how did he take down a chandelier? He had to have great height and speed and momentum to make that happen. JMO

Anne Bremner stated that the investigator told her Max may have been planking. Rebecca told the investigators that Max had been planking. They probably called her back to ask more questions like if had he done it before. Was he told not to do it? If so then who told him and when? Did the older kids and their friends do it? Did Max ever see them do it? There are dozens of questions that could be asked about this.

The point is the investigators did not get to talk to Rebecca about this because she was murdered, imo, about 39 hours after Max's fall. I would think the family would rather believe and research the possibility of how an accident occurred rather than assuming Max was murdered without any evidence whatsoever.

Imo,that smells fishy because why do they so desperately need and want everyone to believe that Rebecca harmed Max. Imo, they need everyone to believe that she killed herself. They want that because they don't want people to know she was murdered. I think this is what the PR campaign is about. That is to try and convince everyone that Rebecca killed herself. They know the facts don't add up so they are putting on a show of smoke and mirrors. That is jmo.

I think the scooter was involved with Max's fall. I think it's possible Max was using the scooter in some kind of posed, balanced position on the newel post, or railing. Whether or not that meets the definition of planking is up for debate.

If Max was holding onto the handlebars and fell outward and head first, the scooter could have become entwined in the chandelier, and with the weight of Max, pulled the hanging chain apart. Particularly if he was balancing on the railing and/ or newel post. There was a "missing link" in the chandelier chain that was photographed on a step, and subsequently lost by the investigators. Dr. Bove was unable to examine it.

There are a number of scooter scenarios and "showing off" (stationary or in motion), or "still" planking tricks that can explain a head first impact that also takes down the chandelier. Consider a "spinning" trick involving the scooter and the newel post, for example. Velocity and momentum are certainly possible there, right?

Dr. Bove, unfortunately, was only paid to run the numbers on the Gomez diagram and Dina's imaginative, but highly unlikely scenario. There are many scenarios that could explain Max's accidental fall.

Added:
Check out the spin move at 33 sec mark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn0507g5H_g"]Razor Scooter tricks - YouTube[/ame]

I am not saying he could not have landed on his head. I am saying how did he take down a chandelier? He had to have great height and speed and momentum to make that happen. JMO

I don't know the answer to that. There's another element to factor in. Maybe someone else will shed light. I just put this up for discussion if anyone's interested in talking about it that's all. Reading the old articles makes me wonder what Bremner has on it or what any of the kids know. I suspect the older kids know something. Planking seems to be popular. I also think the older kids were there that morning but don't have a clue as to whether they saw anything or not.

Also PR keeps hard selling only Rebecca and Xena were there. They are doing that to cover something so that just reinforces to me that the other kids were probably there that morning too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley