CA CA - Nancy MacDuckston, 52, Santa Cruz County, 11 Aug 2003

Doyle- This is one that has continued to bother me. I don't think she just abandoned her family and I don't think she committed suicide. So sad.

I am sure there was already a thread on here for Nancy but cannot find it anywhere.

A Popular Teacher Vanishes

It's a question that's been haunting residents of the small town of Belmont, California: How could a woman -- their friend and neighbor -- disappear into thin air? Yet that's just what happened to Nancy MacDuckston.
She's the last person they ever thought would wind up in the middle of a mystery. As one concerned friend puts it, "She's not the kind of person who would disappear without a reason." But police have yet to discover that reason, or find any sign of Nancy, since the day she vanished, August 11, 2003.

There was no sign of trouble in her personal life. She and her husband Bruce were happily married for 31 years, and have two grown children and a grandchild. Colleagues at the nursery school where Nancy was a teacher say she loved her job, and loved the young children she spent her days with. Her pre-schoolers called her "Teacher Nancy," a title her friends say she was proud of...

More at link http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/case.cfm?id=27149

Boy this case is really a puzzle. I wonder if Nancy made it a habit to take a day alone to drive down the coast...find a spot by the cliffs just to relax and read? That sounds like something that I would love to do. But I wonder if it is something that she had done before?

The oriental man that she had lunch with might not have been a man that she was with but maybe someone that she ran into that she knew through the school where she was an administrater. She probably knew a lot of people through her work. Maybe they were both alone and just decided to eat together instead of alone. If people there knew who she was then someone must have noticed how the two people interacted with each other.
You can watch a couple just a little and get an idea if they have something going on or not. Body language speaks real loud. Sounds like he was a lot younger then her.

You would think if she was going to take off with someone she would have taken her wallet instead of leaving it locked in the van. Sounds like her chair, book and hat were right where she left them.....like there wasn't a fight with someone. If she had gone off a cliff she would have been found by LE. Sounds like she either went willingly with someone or was grabbed and taken.
But why would she have left her husband, kids, and grandbaby without even a hint of there being something wrong?

I also believe I remember reading that she had bought little gifts to bring back for her grandkid(s) if I remember right. Why would you do that if you planned on leaving?

One other aspect of this case if I remember correctly was that the book found where she was last seen was a Bill Bryson travel book about Australia. People might be grasping at straws but I think that some took it as a hint that she was leaving and going far away?

I wonder if LE fingerprinted the chair, book, and hat. It could have easily been planted there by a perp.

I have a hard time believing she would up and leave too...with so much family and a job she loved, it just dosen't add up.

I'm pretty sure the guy she ate with had something to do with it...I wonder if he abducted her as she read if anyone could hear her scream or see her...How remote was this place she was reading at?

Another theory is that she could've run off with this man....who knows? Love makes you do crazy things....

So sad that someone can just disappear off the face of the earth like she did. Here's a new article rehashing the same old same old:
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/localnews/ci_4521373

NANCY MacDuckston wasn't known for being organized.

So when teachers at the Belmont Cooperative Nursery School arrived to work Aug. 11, 2003, they were surprised to find a note from MacDuckston, who worked as a director there, detailing the school's daily operations. "She left very specific instructions," said Kathryn Breaux, a pre-kindergarten teacher at the nursery school. "Some of us are organized. That was not in her nature."

This is another case that has never left my heart. Apparently AMW has it as a featured case and here's their latest. It's not much, but interesting:
http://www.amw.com/features/feature_story_detail.cfm?id=312
Nancy's disappearance, the winds would have moved her body south. But if you follow the winds in the days between August 20 and August 23 - that's nine to 13 days after her disappearance - "coastally trapped wind reversal" would have carried her body west from the point she was last seen. On the U.S. West Coast during coastally trapped wind reversals, the wind reverses from its normal direction to west and then north.
All of the areas highlighted by NOAA were searched, to no avail. It's also possible that she was carried out far to sea or caught in a kelp forest at the sea floor. But did her body go into the water?
(more plus pic at link)

One other aspect of this case if I remember correctly was that the book found where she was last seen was a Bill Bryson travel book about Australia. People might be grasping at straws but I think that some took it as a hint that she was leaving and going far away?

They checked on Australia. Got nothing.

Bumping this one. I can't believe that nothing has been found. Do her family think she left of her own accord because there doesn't seem to have been much of her story in the media over the years?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back