IL - Lydia Chaplin, 14, dies of dog attack, hypothermia, Erie, 27 Jan 2005

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A 14-year-old girl found dead along a rural road northwest of Erie Thursday was attacked by dogs and died of hypothermia, according to authorities late Friday night. Sheriff's deputies at first believed Lydia E. Chaplin was the victim of a hit-and-run vehicle accident. However, an autopsy Friday afternoon in Rockford revealed she suffered several serious injuries from multiple dog bites and died of hypothermia.

Police believe she was trying to get away from the dogs and the area where she was attacked, which is a short distance from her home, sometime during the night. Whiteside County Sheriff Roger Schipper said she had left home to meet friends sometime after midnight.

The dogs involved in the attack, three pit bulls and one mixed breed, were impounded early Friday by the Whiteside County Sheriff's Department with the help of Whiteside County Animal Control. The dogs are believed to be from the immediate area.

The sheriff's department did not identify the dogs' owner.

A coroner's inquest into the girl's death is pending.

http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco/sections.cgi?prcss=display&id=228623

What a horrible horrible way to die!!!! That poor little girl. I do have to ask though what the hell a 14 year old was doing out at midnite!!

That is so sad! It breaks my heart to know she died alone, hurt and cold. Her parents must be in agony right now.

Jeana (DP) said:
What a horrible horrible way to die!!!! That poor little girl. I do have to ask though what the hell a 14 year old was doing out at midnite!!

Jeana, I think she may have snuck out.

The article states "Whiteside County Sheriff Roger Schipper said she had left home to meet friends sometime after midnight."

and then later "Ms. Chaplin was found in a roadside ditch at 7:30 a.m. by a deputy who was called to her home to take a missing person's report from her mother and stepfather. They discovered she was missing about 6:30 a.m."

Sounds to me like they didn't even realize she was gone until morning. :(

Such a sad story. Prayers of comfort for her family, Lanie

WasBlind said:
Jeana, I think she may have snuck out.

The article states "Whiteside County Sheriff Roger Schipper said she had left home to meet friends sometime after midnight."

and then later "Ms. Chaplin was found in a roadside ditch at 7:30 a.m. by a deputy who was called to her home to take a missing person's report from her mother and stepfather. They discovered she was missing about 6:30 a.m."

Sounds to me like they didn't even realize she was gone until morning. :(

Such a sad story. Prayers of comfort for her family, Lanie

You're right Lanie. Such a horrible tragedy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back