Darkman00

Reaction score
Cops on the DNA trail of the murderer of nanny Penny Hill in 1991

Mark Morri
The Daily Telegraph
November 02, 201212:00AM

915201-penny-hill.jpg

Penny Hill in an undated copy photo. Source: The Daily Telegraph

POLICE have collected DNA from 140 men and will swab another 80 after fresh forensic evidence was uncovered in the murder of a young nanny more than 20 years ago.

Penny Hill, 20, was bashed and left unconscious by the side of a road at Coolah, in the state's northwest, in July 1991. She died in hospital two weeks later.

Police contacted 220 men in Coolah at the time and asked them if they would provide DNA to test against new forensic evidence found this year.

"Everyone contacted so far has agreed except for one. He objected on ideological grounds," said Detective Sergeant Jason Darcy of the unsolved homicide squad.

"But to be honest he is not a major focus of our investigation."...

----

Read more at the Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...nny-hill-in-1991/story-e6freuy9-1226508681854

From May 2015:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/appeal-fo...f-penny-hill-24-years-on-20150510-ggya8e.html

In October last year, police said they had new leads in the case of Penny Hill, a young woman who was found unconscious and severely bashed on the side of the road at Coolah, in the NSW central west, several days after starting a job as a nanny at the nearby Black Stump Motel...

In an interview on Channel 7's Sunday Night program, Detective Sergeant Jason Darcy from the Central West unsolved homicide unit said Ms Hill's boyfriend, Shane Williams, was a person of interest in the case...

An initial suspect, a chef at the hotel, died in a car accident in late 1991. Another man investigated by police, owner of the motel and former drummer of Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs Col Baigent, has also maintained he is innocent.

"A $1 million reward will be offered to help solve the murder of a young woman who was bashed to death in NSW's Central West nearly three decades ago.

Twenty-year-old Penny Hill was found unconscious with severe head and face injuries on the side of the road near Coolah on July 8, 1991. She died in hospital nearly two weeks later....

Now, 28 years since her death, detectives are now re-investigating Ms Hill's murder and a $1 million NSW government reward will be announced in acknowledgement of the anniversary. The reward will be offered for information leading to the conviction of those responsible for Ms Hill's murder."

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...-penny-hill-murder-probe-20190708-p52512.html

In a new series called Million Dollar Murders, Nine is asking viewers to help with some unsolved crimes. Could $1m turn up the heat on a cold case of murder? Viewers can get involved by watching the six episodes on Monday nights on Nine and on 9Now.

EP 2: MURDER BEYOND THE BLACK STUMP

In 1991 twenty-year-old Penny Hill had just started a new job as a nanny in the small NSW town of Coolah. Three days later she was bashed and left to die on the side of a country road.

Now, after three decades of police investigations, collecting DNA samples from more than 100 men, two coronial inquests and posting a $1m reward, Million Dollar Murders, NSW police, witnesses and Penny’s mother reveals new and startling information that may aid the public in helping to solve this puzzling case.

Horrible event. I hate the thought of people suffering with injures for any length of time. Poor girl. The brutality triggers me to think it was someone close, someone who she knew. Hope something comes to light soon.

July 21 will mark 31 years since the murder of Narrabri’s Penny Hill.

Penny’s mother Jeanette Hill, now living in Toowoomba, remains hopeful that someone, somewhere will come forward with information to bring closure and justice.

Did they ever dust the door handles and bathroom for prints? Seems an obvious omission if they didn't given they're taking the toilet seat being up as a sign there was a man in the room.

I must say, it's somewhat weird that there were two inquests into Penny's death (1992 and 2012) and there are no Coroner's Reports or redacted briefs of evidence from either available anywhere online, at least that I can see. I know both delivered open findings and one being 30+ years old it's not hard to fathom, but a 2012 inquest should definitely have more publicly available information than this does.

I can't even find anything on the Coroner's website.

There appears to be three known and named POI's (the boyfriend, the motel owner/employer and the ex-cop turned robber) but the town's small population was bolstered by events on across town which people travelled to attend.

I must say, it's somewhat weird that there were two inquests into Penny's death (1992 and 2012) and there are no Coroner's Reports or redacted briefs of evidence from either available anywhere online, at least that I can see. I know both delivered open findings and one being 30+ years old it's not hard to fathom, but a 2012 inquest should definitely have more publicly available information than this does.

I can't even find anything on the Coroner's website.

There appears to be three known and named POI's (the boyfriend, the motel owner/employer and the ex-cop turned robber) but the town's small population was bolstered by events on across town which people travelled to attend.
Scratch that. I've just spoken with someone at the Coroner's COurt and apparently the 2011/12 inquest was held right before the cut off for them digitising and publishing findings on their website, so I have submitted a written request for it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back