NY NY - Carlos Diaz, 32, Bronx, 23 December 1986

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
Carlos Diaz went missing from his Bronx, N.Y., home on Dec. 23, 1986. Diaz went to bury a family pet that had died and has not been seen since. He is described as a Hispanic male with brown hair and brown eyes. He is 5-foot-8-inches tall and weighed 170 lbs. at the time of his disappearance. He has a tattoo with the initials C.D. on his left hand.

For more information, visit Findthemissing.org.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ing_n_2076317.html?ncid=webmail3#slide=561470

Carlos Diaz, of Bronx, N.Y., disappeared on Dec. 23, 1986, after he went out to bury a family pet. He has not been seen since. He is described as a Hispanic male with brown hair and brown eyes. He was 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighed 170 pounds at the time of his disappearance. He has a tattoo of the initials C.D. on his left hand.

559e0f6c14000049019a7325.jpeg

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...show=true#gallery/559e0f6ce4b0967291557f1d/16

https://letsfindthem.wordpress.com/tag/nypd/

carlosdiaz[1].jpgcarlosdiaz2[1].jpg
Date of Birth: *11/10/1954*
Date Missing: *12/23/1986*
Age at time of disappearance: *32*
City Missing From: *Bronx*
State Missing From: *New York*
Race: *Hispanic*
Height: *5 ft 8 in*
Weight: *170 lbs*
Hair Color: *Dark Brown*
Eye Color: *Brown*
Complexion: *Fair*
Identifying Characteristics: Has the initials C.D tattooed on his left hand*
Unsolved Disappearance: *Carlos was last seen at his family’s home two days before Christmas, December 23, 1986. He hasn’t been seen or heard from since.
Suzie, the family dog, died and Carlos said he would be right back, that he was going to bury her. He did not have any identification (ID) with him. When he didn’t return, the missing man’s brother went to go look for him and noticed Suzie hadn’t been buried. Carlos was never seen again. He was a father of one and left behind a baby daughter and family. His family feels he would have never left on his own.
Carlos had previously suffered a head injury by being struck in the head, and has another medical condition. Doctors stated it was possible that Carlos could lose his memory at any given time.
His family created a Myspace page: Help Find Carlos Diaz*under the about me section, a family member wrote:*

*I need your help to find A Brother/Uncle/Father and Son who has been missing. Carlos is the type of person who loved being outdoors with his family/friends and dog Susie., but most of all his daughter Lesa. Wherever he had to go he was always riding his bike. He took that bike everywhere. Laughter & fun was always his Motto. He’s the type of person that would bring a smile to your face if you were down & out. He is a fun & loving person to be with, but on December 23, 1986 the family dog (susie) died everything changed. Carlos said he would be right back because he was going to bury Susie. After he left is when we realized he did not take any identification with him. It was getting late and my other brother Nelson went to go looking for him and all he found was Susie (unburied) but not Carlos. My mother and sister went to the police station to file a missing persons report, they handed a detective a photo of Carlos and what happened and his response was that my brother wasn’t eligible for a missing person report. He had to be between the ages of very young to 16 and 50-60 yrs. of age. So anyone between those ages were considered to have taken off. They kept his photo. Calls were made there after, months went by and the responses were “We do not have anything new”. Carlos would of never left his family especially his daughter. We would like to put some closure to this, so if anyone has seen him. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ANY OF THE EMAILS BELOW, ALL EMAILS WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL… Nancy – ndfreneire@yahoo.com, Shannon – USAFORCEWIFE@YAHOO.COM

MISSING since December 23, 1986 from Bronx, New York

Police Case #MP0805877

NCIC Case #M-997631949

Classification:
Endangered Missing

Hair Color:
Dark Brown

Age Missing:

Eye Color:
Brown

Height:
5'7"

Race:
Hispanic

Weight:
170 lbs.

Date of Birth:
November 10, 1954

Identifying Characteristics:
Has the initials C.D tattooed on his left hand.

Medical:
Carlos had previously suffered a head injury and has another medical condition. Doctors stated it was possible that Carlos could have memory loss.

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Unknown.* The drawing of Diaz above is age-progressed to 52 years. Diaz was last seen at Melrose & 165th Street in Bronx, New York on December 23, 1986. The family dog had died and he went to bury the animal. After a long period of time, Carlos' brother went to look for him and found that the dog was still not buried and there was no sign of Diaz, who has never been seen again. He did not have any identification with him. Carlos left behind a baby daughter and family. His family feels he would have never left on his own. Foul play is suspected, and his case remains unsolved.

http://www.411gina.org/cases/diazcarlos.html

DiazCarlos4[1].jpg

https://www.facebook.com/helpfindcarlosdiaz

About Missing Carlos
(Carlos) I come from a family of 5 sisters and 1 brother which I miss dearly. I have a daughter name Lesa and 2 grandchildren which I haven't met. I miss my parents and everyone that I was always around. I had a dog name Susie which I adore.

(Nancy)"Carlos", if you’re out there and you get a chance to hear this, somehow, some way, give us some sign of where you are because we love you and we miss you and it’s been a long time. You have 2 grandsons, that one is carrying your name, and wants to see you. And we love you. Oh God, that’s hard.

(Todd Matthews)This is the message that Nancy Freneire, sister of Carlos Diaz, would like to convey to her brother. In an interview with Todd Matthews on his "Missing Pieces" show, Nancy recounts the events of December 23, 1986.

Carlos and his family were attending a reunion in the Bronx, NY home of another sister. The family dog had died and being that the dog was closest to Carlos, he went to bury it. As time went on and it got later, another brother noticed that Carlos left without any ID, which was unusual for him, felt that Carlos had plenty of time to bury the dog and return, and decided he better go out looking for him. The brother found the dog that Carlos had left with to bury, but there was no sign of Carlos anywhere.

When Carlos did not return home, the family made the decision to go to the police and file a missing persons report based on the facts that he was unlikely to stay away from his family and especially his little daughter. Due to the fact that Carlos was 32 at the time, he fell into a "guideline" that said it was assumed since he was an adult, he probably just took off. The family was not able to get the police to take a report.

Over 20 years have gone by and this family has continued their search for Carlos. The internet has provided places to list missing persons information, however, there are a lot of agencies and sites that can not do anything without a police missing persons report filed and no NCIC number to go by. Now, over 20 years later, the family is told that too much time has passed and the police will still not file a report.

Recently, Nancy was able to have a DNA sample taken and that sample may be the key to finding Carlos who is also listed in the Doe Network. Previous to going missing, Carlos had a head injury which could have resulted in memory loss. Could he be out there after all this time? Could he be in a facility not knowing who he really is? There could be any number of answers and his family is able to accept any of them as long as they know what happened to Carlos.

Nancy and her family, including the daughter of Carlos, have a huge void in their lives which can only be filled with answers. So many changes happen in a family in 20 years, fathers die, children grow up and have children of their own, and sisters and brothers go their separate ways. One thing has been a constant in the family of Carlos Diaz and that is that they miss him, they love him, and they will not stop searching for him. One day, with the help of organizations like NAMUS and DOE Network, and many others, this family will know the answers and they will finally be at peace.

The Doe Network:
Case File 1916DMNY
Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 10, 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 32 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 165 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Tattoo of the initials C.D on left hand.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2874umny.html

Date of Discovery: July 12, 1987
Location of Discovery: New York, New York County, New York
Estimated Date of Death: to
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Mummified
Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description
Estimated Age: 55-100 years old
Race: Black
Height: 5'8", Estimated
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue jeans (size 38), leather belt, greenish brown long sleeve undershirt, Short sleeve undershirt, blue jacket with silk-like lining, and brown socks.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Circumstances of Discovery
Decomposed body found in an abandoned building at the above address.

2874UMNY_LARGE[1].jpgDiazCarlos4[1].jpg

I had been looking and have not found anywhere of location the dog was found.. like did he go to the park? or was he burying his dog in the back yard? Did he seem really upset.. I wonder how the dog died? Was Susie the dog old? did she get hit by car? was she poisoned?.. It would be interesting to find this out because maybe it could bring clues as to why he went missing.

height is off a bit but I thought this was interesting a 7 inch scar on his left hand.. could be a way of getting rid of a tattoo on his left hand.

http://www.njsp.org/unidentified/bergen/u349699720.shtml

The victim was found on March 2, 1989 in Overpeck Creek, Ridgefield, NJ.
NIC #
CASE #
U349699720
CH8910
Date Body Found
Estimated Date of Death
March 02, 1989
February 01, 1989
Biological Profile
Estimated Year of Birth
1938 - 1943
Sex
Male
Race
White
Height
5'11"
Weight
145 lbs.
Hair
Brown
Eyes
Hazel
Scars, Marks and Tattoos
The victim had a seven (7) inch scar on his left hand.
CLOTHING
The victim was not wearing any clothing when he was found.
MISC.
Full x-rays, fingerprints, and dental records are available for comparison.

http://www.njsp.org/unidentified/monmouth/u362882879.shtml

The victim's skeletal remains were found on May 13, 1989 in Asbury Park, Monmouth County, NJ.
NIC #
CASE #
U362882879
89-5954
Date Body Found
Estimated Date of Death
May 13, 1989
Unknown
Biological Profile
Estimated Year of Birth
1944 - 1954
Sex
Male
Race
Caucasian
Height
5'8" - 5'11"
Weight
150 - 200 lbs.
Hair
Brown
Eyes
Unknown
Scars, Marks and Tattoos
Unknown
Clothing
The victim was found wearing a winter type blue jacket, a flannel red checkered "Omni Ltd" shirt, an orange and white bandana, and a sweatshirt.
Misc.
Full x-rays are available for comparison.

I came across this but there is not much info. I thought I would post it anyway

Objects

• Human Skull, Bronx River. In the 1980s, when Bronx River clean up efforts were in full swing, one of the young women leading a conservation crew for the Bronx River Restoration Project came across a human skull and went through the process of reporting it to the police. Plans are in the works to interview her about her experience, but in the meantime, why not imagine how it all went down?

I found this John Doe case and immediately thought of Carlos. I didn’t notice the t-shirt detail at first, but that made it seem all the more likely to be a match. :( I submitted the two cases for comparison a couple of weeks ago... haven’t heard anything yet.

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP12936
Male, White / Caucasian

agU-U3mQyptmC-fUwJpo_2AzUrFtXLiYiIoGybPBpGR_yLsnUIjzTa_TBnfkyMJH_8gihSADtp0gl60ruPEpOuodeUQmjnVjfPmEAlcFn-b1tebJsQEcsytIbgSmtffi0HYLedNk
5CpFOmil0Lu12HVvqhMiu-9lFHQ8-LJCPn46qfBZliydsQgQWP21ibdhUsIdlqdF64U2IsJ3ktCJtO_4FyOYIV1YfWmxvL5sQxtrnczGh9NGMmWUjNZnHkR5rCMMWDEdPuicZk1j
bk5taeTVyluhKJNEKDnl5lXcuQuH0BozER2t6ZXX_VlMQftF5kTLDFvYiuYMUZsEolq71Rb5fUW5D2vI2EUrLtDVcsLxUqPPdMRWUqjnupXW_YSI4nqEejwK2Ckn2K1bnrkyuvBL

NAMUS
Date Body Found
: November 25, 1987
Location Found: I-4, Lakeland, Polk Co, FL
ME/C Case Number: FA87-373 ME87-604
Agency Case Number: 87-19-09603-05
Investigating Agencies:
-Florida Highway Patrol Lakeland, Florida
-Tom Luedeman, Cpl FHP@flhsmv.gov
-District 10 Medical Examiners Office/Polk County-Stephen J. Nelson, M.A., M.D., F.C.A.P.
-(863) 298-4600 FAX:(863) 298-5264 1021 Jim Keene Boulevard, Winter Haven, FL 33880
StephenNelson@polk-county.net

Estimated Age Range (Years): 30-32
Height: 5' 9”
Weight: 185lbs
Hair Color: Brown wavy
Facial Hair: Moustache, and sideburns extending below both ears
Eye Color: Brown
Piercings: earlobe is pierced
Scar/marks: old scars noted on the front outer upper aspect of the left chest, old surgical scar on the right mid abdomen, old oval scar on the right lower abdomen, five linear old scars on the left upper back.
Tattoos: on the right forearm there is a multi colored lightning bolt, There is a colored "unicorn" with wings on the outer aspect of the middle of the left upper arm, a black motor harley davidson cycle tattoo on the outer aspect of the right upper arm
Distinctive Physical Features: There is a mole in the left subclavian region
Clothing: Blue jean shirt and blue jean rustler brand pants size 30 waist and 32 length, Adidas made in the USA blue hooded jogging jacket medium sized (38-40) Signal brand made in the USA light blue tee shirt large (42-44) on the front Houston Oilers with a football player's helmet.
Footwear: Grey three-quarter boot with high heel size 9 1/2 and grey socks
Circumstances of Recovery:Unidentified white male struck by motor vehicle.

Hope you’re able to go back home soon Carlos!
•MMcG•

*ETA: Photos

Carlos and his family were attending a reunion in the Bronx, NY home of another sister. The family dog had died and being that the dog was closest to Carlos, he went to bury it. As time went on and it got later, another brother noticed that Carlos left without any ID, which was unusual for him, felt that Carlos had plenty of time to bury the dog and return, and decided he better go out looking for him. The brother found the dog that Carlos had left with to bury, but there was no sign of Carlos anywhere.

Does anyone know where the dog was found? There are several parks near the area where Carlos was last seen. Knowing where the dog was found would help determine which way he was going—like if he made it to one of those parks, or was abducted from the street.

From what I remember growing up in Washington Heights, Manhattan, very close to the Bronx, that was a high crime area at the time. I remember lots of drug paraphernalia strewn about in the parks near me, so I imagine it was similar there. He could've met with foul play when local users mistakenly thought he was stealing a hidden stash of drugs.

It's also possible that holding this dead dog provoked a mental episode as a consequence of his recent head trauma. In that state, he could've abandoned the dog and wandered off.

Current list of Unidentified Person Exclusions per NamUs
UP6507 11/10/1988 Caroline VA
UP6530 05/18/1990 Chesterfield VA
UP6634 05/20/1990 Norfolk VA
UP8418 02/24/1992 Henrico VA
UP5532 04/07/1992 Newport News VA
UP6304 08/01/1993 Clarke VA
UP6762 10/08/1995 Richmond VA
UP6149 01/22/1996 Halifax VA
UP5540 09/17/1997 Hampshire WV
UP787 02/09/2002 Richmond VA
UP6305 07/30/2002 Prince William VA
UP6171 12/26/2005 Pittsylvania VA
UP6637 10/07/2006 Fairfax VA
UP6278 07/05/2007 Botetourt VA
UP2667 08/18/2008 Dinwiddie VA
UP14360 08/14/2015 Bland VA

I put together a short blog post yesterday for Carlos! I really hope he is found, for the sake of his family.

Carlos Diaz - 1986 - New York

Thank you so much for posting this blog. It's very detailed and informative, and it certainly gives us more food for thought.

I notice you wrote that "His brother Nelson decided to go and look for him... [and] found Susie's body where it lay unburied beneath a nearby bridge. Carlos, however, was not there."

The only bridge I've been able to find near his location is the Macombs Dam Bridge, which is about a 30-minute walk from the family gathering. Kinda a little far to bury a dog, I think, but at the same time there aren't a lot of places in NYC where you could do that, so I think this fits. It's a little secluded and near the Harlem River, so there would've been fewer people than, say, in a neighborhood park.

To get there, he would've had to cross the Grand Concourse, which because of its width is like half-avenue, half-highway. The middle lanes go underground in a few places, like at Fordham Road or 174th Street, so cars can avoid the many stoplights. In those areas, bridges helps pedestrians cross the street, but as you can see, you can't really bury anything there.

Does anyone know around what time he left? In December, sunset is around 4:30 p.m. here in NYC, and it's dark by 5 p.m. I still have a feeling he stumbled upon shady business in the secluded park near the bridge and was eliminated because he was a perceived threat.

Thank you! I was glad to write it and hope it brings more awareness to Carlos’ disappearance.

I could not find anyplace that gave the time he left. I wandered around Google Earth for a while trying to figure out where he may have been headed. I’ve visited NYC several times but I’m not familiar with this area. I figured it must have been the bridge closest to the Stadium only because it looked to have more “diggable” areas around it. I still don’t think he’d be able to bury his dog there. This was the most intriguing part about his sister’s account. Initially I assumed something happened to Susie there at the house;

“…and when [Nelson] went out to go to see where [Carlos] went with the dog...

but after that, I became a little confused by her statement;

“the dog was still laid out under the bridge”

So, couldn’t figure out if Susie died at the house and he left with her to bury by the bridge, or Susie had been ran over (or somehow died) near the bridge and Carlos volunteered to leave the home, retrieve her body, and then take her somewhere to bury?

It’s probably irrelevant but for some reason that stood out to me. I’m not certain what to think happened to him. I’m interested in the head injury. Apparently he “was hit in the head” a couple of years before he went missing. It must have been pretty serious if his family “nearly lost him“ and doctors told him “that if he didn’t take care of himself and treated himself, he would have lost his memory.” Which seems to be the family’s most likely conclusion.

I continue to search for a connection between him and the unidentified man from Florida. If Carlos did become disoriented due to his head injury, I can see how it’s possible he found himself being hit and killed by a vehicle several states away. I don’t know! have so many more questions now! LOL

Thank you so much for posting this blog. It's very detailed and informative, and it certainly gives us more food for thought.

I notice you wrote that "His brother Nelson decided to go and look for him... [and] found Susie's body where it lay unburied beneath a nearby bridge. Carlos, however, was not there."

The only bridge I've been able to find near his location is the Macombs Dam Bridge, which is about a 30-minute walk from the family gathering. Kinda a little far to bury a dog, I think, but at the same time there aren't a lot of places in NYC where you could do that, so I think this fits. It's a little secluded and near the Harlem River, so there would've been fewer people than, say, in a neighborhood park.

To get there, he would've had to cross the Grand Concourse, which because of its width is like half-avenue, half-highway. The middle lanes go underground in a few places, like at Fordham Road or 174th Street, so cars can avoid the many stoplights. In those areas, bridges helps pedestrians cross the street, but as you can see, you can't really bury anything there.

Does anyone know around what time he left? In December, sunset is around 4:30 p.m. here in NYC, and it's dark by 5 p.m. I still have a feeling he stumbled upon shady business in the secluded park near the bridge and was eliminated because he was a perceived threat.

jsolt1210 Thank you for trying to figure out the bridge. I have thought about where it could be too.

But I was wondering if there is a closer Bridge than the one you mentioned because I read on the missing pieces site a quote from his sister
Missing Pieces Episode 73 Archive

TODD: Ahh. Okay. So how long was it…how long was he gone before you actually realized that there’s something really bad wrong?

NANCY: This was about maybe a half-hour to 45 minutes, because where he was going to go…

From that quote it seems to be the bridge would be closer no? Or am I reading this wrong.?

Is it a half and hour to 45 that it would take for him to go to bridge bury dog and come back? And when the time passed they were worried?

And did he walk like 30 minutes carrying his dog. Another thing I thought about is did he have a shovel too. There was no mention of that either. I wonder if the dog was sick or if she suddenly died. I think he was extremely upset about the death of his dog and it affected him more than what he showed to the family.

If the only close bridge is the Macombs Dam Bridge and the dog was found under that. (We are assuming). could it have been possible that he fell In The water , was pushed, threw himself or was thrown in the water under that bridge and his body did not surface until May in some other area? Usually bodies that fall in the East River in the winter dont surface until the water gets warmer in like May. I am assuming it would be the same here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back