GUILTY LA - Mary Horton Vail, 22, murdered, Lake Charles, 28 Oct 1962

He's either the most unlucky in love guy EVER or this warrants investigation. Glad someone is peeking into the dark corners.

He was arrested in 1962, after the 1961 death of his wife. Realeased three days later. No real evidence that was presented in the video to say that this was actually related to the death of his wife. He was "looked at" in 1993 by the FBI for the possibility of being a serial killer. "Looked at" could mean a lot of things. I know a guy that was "looked at" for a string of prostitute murders. Only for about 3 minuets and only because his ex wife said a lot of misleading things to law enforcement.

So, other than that, he is not wanted, seriously suspected, or a publicly disclosed person of interest in any of the deaths/disappearances. I shudder to think that if three people close to me die or go missing over the course of my lifetime, I could end up being "investigated" not by LE, who apparently has decided that I am not a viable suspect, but by a reporter who feels perfectly comfortable putting my name and face all over the evening news and the internet.

Made me think of Barton Corbin.

Thanks Donjeta. And I agree tlcox, happy to know someone has taken notice & is looking into this.

The Clarion-Ledger shared the Oct. 30, 1962, autopsy report of Mary Horton Vail with renowned pathologist Dr. Michael Baden of New York City.

His conclusion? Foul play took place in her drowning death.

The report shows large bruises with bleeding into tissues on the left side of the neck, which suggests she suffered forceful neck trauma before entering the water, he said.

There are also hemorrhagic bruises to the right calf and left leg above the knee, consistent with a struggle before her submersion, he said.

Most convincingly of all was the scarf authorities found around her neck that extended 4 inches into her mouth, which suggests traumatic asphyxia before entering the water, he said.

“Somebody had to push that scarf into her mouth,” he said. “She had to have that scarf wedged in her mouth before she went in the water.”

http://www.clarionledger.com/intera...-s-mates-coincidence-foul-play?nclick_check=1

He was arrested in 1962, after the 1961 death of his wife. Realeased three days later. No real evidence that was presented in the video to say that this was actually related to the death of his wife. He was "looked at" in 1993 by the FBI for the possibility of being a serial killer. "Looked at" could mean a lot of things. I know a guy that was "looked at" for a string of prostitute murders. Only for about 3 minuets and only because his ex wife said a lot of misleading things to law enforcement.

So, other than that, he is not wanted, seriously suspected, or a publicly disclosed person of interest in any of the deaths/disappearances. I shudder to think that if three people close to me die or go missing over the course of my lifetime, I could end up being "investigated" not by LE, who apparently has decided that I am not a viable suspect, but by a reporter who feels perfectly comfortable putting my name and face all over the evening news and the internet.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you after reading the print article. Although I certainly see where you're coming from when you talk about being investigated by LE for 3 missing loved ones - what an awful nightmare! - I feel the circumstances surrounding these deaths and disappearances show nefarious activity. For one, that autopsy report shows no accident, IMO.

One of the nation’s leading criminologists, James Alan Fox of Northeastern University, said the odds of a man having a wife drown, another wife disappear and a common law wife disappear are very low.

“It’s smaller than the threshold of chance,” Fox said. “Either he tends to select partners that lead higher risk lives or something else is going on that’s more nefarious.”

I do agree with this quote from the print article. Of course, there is always the possibility that he is completely innocent and just a man of misfortune, but the autopsy report, changing stories, violence with Beth (violence that ended in her seeking a protection order) and lack of sorrow over the death of his first wife... I get the feeling he may be more than just a guy who is SOL when it comes to life partners.

I think that you might have a different opinion after you read the Clarion Ledger article that Donjeta found. I am very impressed by the amount of detail and the wide range of friends and family who were willing to go on record with their observations of Felix Vail's life. The article is very long but very worth reading!

http://www.clarionledger.com/interac...nclick_check=1

MOO

( I copied the link from Donjeta's post but it isn't working in this post. Try going back to post #7 above to click on her original link.)

I am sure it was just a coincidence. He is simply the unluckiest man in the world.

OR, he has been tacitly rewarded for his behavior by getting away with it.

Beautiful young women who had to be perfect. I don't have a good feeling about this guy at all, especially when I read he took out an insurance policy and didn't even bother to pay for his wife's funeral. I'm hoping that with new technology that something will be found that was looked over in the past. Or wasn't available in the past. I hope with this new interest in the case somebody will remember something crucial to the case. Or maybe someone will come forward that was afraid of him. IMO I don't think he is that good looking, plus he sounds like an abuser.

He's 73/74 now. So where is he? Who was the last person to see him and where? Does he still own the property in Tulsa, because I thought the property with the trailers was in MS? (parent's property?)

Did you catch Mrs. Rose's comment at the bottom of the article --- the last part missing? Her audio was sorta cut short, so I'm wondering if there will be a part 2 from the reporter?

*****I wish he would investigate Linda Reed's case and see what he can come up with down there in MS. Still say she was "very close" with the family of her employers who she allegedly "embezzled". IMO, JMO, etc.

I read the print article. I still see nowhere where LE has come out and said, "lock your doors and hide your wives and chidlren, this guy is a suspect of interest in an extremely small strings of potential murders and verified disappearances."

Ok, the guy didn't pay for his wife's funeral. That is a jerk-y thing to do, I agree. I never said he was a nice guy.
I read the reports from family and friends, and they were all over the place, some saying he was a great guy and some saying that he was a controlling PITA. Maybe the second two left him and started over somewhere far, far away. He doesn't seem like the type that would have given them something to really stick around for...

I just think it's pretty bad that he is at this point proven to be nothing but unfortunate and quite likely unlikable. If he is the unlikable sort then it is even more likely that there will be a lot of people willing to say that he is a killer too. People get revenge in the oddest ways.

An investigative reporter is tearing his life apart. On the basis of nothing more that he might have had an extremely bad run of luck. This is not a corporation accused of dumping chemicals, or a government accused of corruption. This is a private citizen who seems to have made no effort to encourage public scrutiny. LE has talked to him, detained him, questioned him and released him. They have passed over him as a suspect. This is not how things are supposed to work in this country. MOO.

His other girlfriends might possibly have just left but if the autopsy information is correct I definitely think he should have been more thoroughly investigated and quite possibly charged and tried for the drowning death of his wife. I have a hard time imagining innocent scenarios in which a scarf ends up in the mouth of someone who drowned accidentally. He admits he was the last one with her there and his description of the events does not explain how she got the scarf stuffed in her mouth. According to some people who know him he may even have confessed it in a sideways way.

I don't think it is unreasonable for people to ask questions. JMO.

If you run Vail's name in the Clarion Ledger search there is a lot of articles on him beginning back in Nov. The reporter seems to be really looking for evidence on him.

Archive articles include this one:

Accident or homicide?: Vail case among hundreds not pursued by La. district attorney

Dec 23, 2012 | Mitchell, Jerry ... Salter Jr. never asked the Calcasieu Parish grand jury to bring charges against Mississippi native Felix Vail in Mary Vail's drowning. Vail was the last known person to see ...
http://search.clarionledger.com/sp?aff=1100&skin=&keywords=Felix Vail

Unfortunately to read the article you have to buy it. Still it may be an indicator (at least in the reporters eyes) on why there hasn't been an arrest.

From Jan. 13

Authorities reopen case and question serial killer suspect Felix Vail about 3 women - See more at: http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jmit...ller-suspect-felix-vail/#sthash.DyESbA23.dpuf

So the reporter talking about the case may have caused some movement.

a new article:

http://www.clarionledger.com/articl...ix-Vail-describes-what-he-others-saw-day-1962

"No justice for Mary: Former friend of serial killer suspect Felix Vail describes what he, others saw that day in 1962"

He (the reporter) does make it sound like a coverup took place, though I am not sure I understand why. The guy worked for the DA's father. I don't see that as a reason for a coverup. Maybe some hidden political agenda? Reporter alleges that the DA ordered the deputies to stop investigating. I would like to see some quotes from the deputies to verify that.

From reading the article I see that Vail admits to being with his wife (fishing at night?) She allegedly fell out of the boat. She had bruising to her neck, her thighs and a scarf down her throat. That much alone convinces me she was murdered. And since Vail admits to being with her.........

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back