Veterans Day

Charlie09

Former Member
Reaction score
Wow, surprised to not see a Veterans Day Thread today.
So to all who have honorably served, or are currently serving our country, and to those who miss a special veteran today - we give you our honor and thanks!

543072_462723010432607_517022750_n.jpg

My Dear Father fought in WWII and Korea, died on Columbus Day last year. Major in the Air Force, flew bombers. Lots of stories...God Bless ALL of our veterans! (and serving armed forces!!!!)...

I do have an Armistice Day thread lurking around here somewhere, which also serves as a Veterans Day reminder. Always affecting to watch BBC coverage of the two minutes of silence in Whitehall, followed by the bugles playing Last Post, and the queen placing her wreath at the Cenotaph.

My dad fought in WWII - a Kansas farm boy on a ship in the Pacific Ocean (which later got torpedoed and thus had to limp back to the Philippines in danger of sinking). Brave stuff - he was a pharmacists' mate and part of that duty included going in after the marines stormed some nameless island, reef, or atoll and, under fire, bearing a stretcher to take the wounded out. But it would have embarrassed him if I'd ever say he was brave. One thing that impressed me: I never once heard him say a bad thing about the Japanese. The war was over.

My Dear Father fought in WWII and Korea, died on Columbus Day last year. Major in the Air Force, flew bombers. Lots of stories...God Bless ALL of our veterans! (and serving armed forces!!!!)...

My dad was in the Korean War too....he had a lot of made up stories to go along with real stories. :) It was quite a treasure to find undeveloped film rolls in the mid 90's, in my grandma's things and get his army photo's developed with the modern colors. He's been gone nearly 8 years, and most definitely my favorite (and most missed) veteran!

I do have an Armistice Day thread lurking around here somewhere, which also serves as a Veterans Day reminder. Always affecting to watch BBC coverage of the two minutes of silence in Whitehall, followed by the bugles playing Last Post, and the queen placing her wreath at the Cenotaph.

My dad fought in WWII - a Kansas farm boy on a ship in the Pacific Ocean (which later got torpedoed and thus had to limp back to the Philippines in danger of sinking). Brave stuff - he was a pharmacists' mate and part of that duty included going in after the marines stormed some nameless island, reef, or atoll and, under fire, bearing a stretcher to take the wounded out. But it would have embarrassed him if I'd ever say he was brave. One thing that impressed me: I never once heard him say a bad thing about the Japanese. The war was over.

That is honorable - I could never get my dad to say Asian instead of Oriental...but there was no hint of animosity based on race, ever.

308858_10151260205763588_1453814640_n.jpg

*last picture from me, just thought it was so appropriate*

OMG - they have a pic of my dad landing a plane upside down! My DB has that slide. Also (sorry Mom) pics of their Korean "laundry women" helping? them, lol.

As I'm sure you know, that was a direct order from Admiral Nimitz, that as of the moment the war ended, no derogatory expressions could be used for the Japanese. (I do not mean to take anything away from your father. Obviously, he continued to behave as a man of honor even long after he left the service, when official orders were no longer binding.)

OMG - they have a pic of my dad landing a plane upside down! My DB has that slide. Also (sorry Mom) pics of their Korean "laundry women" helping? them, lol.

That's awesome! The pictures we have had Korean Men in white uniforms. My dad said they cleaned the barracks and did laundry for the army guys.

Loving tribute to mygrandfather WW1, my father who fought in the 'Battle of the Bulge" my
Step father that was at "Pearl Harbor" and my dear husband that was
in the 1st Battles of Khe Sanh (Nam) and stayed in the USMC for 27 years!

Thanks to everyone that served to give us freedom!

That is honorable - I could never get my dad to say Asian instead of Oriental...but there was no hint of animosity based on race, ever.

I'm sure there wasn't. I hear Asians use the "O" word in documentaries and ads for hotels, Chinese food and the like.

I think that's more an American requirement. I've learned to say "Asian", but I don't think less of people of my parents' generation who use the old word.

I have a question: I'm writing a play that takes place during WWII and it simply sounds unnatural to have characters say "the Japanese" every time they refer to the enemy.

It's a musical comedy and I certainly wouldn't use the uglier words, but is there a way to avoid having people of the period refer to "the Japs"? I can't find one. Nor can I find a newsreel or newspaper from the period that uses the full term, "Japanese".

I have a question: I'm writing a play that takes place during WWII and it simply sounds unnatural to have characters say "the Japanese" every time they refer to the enemy.

It's a musical comedy and I certainly wouldn't use the uglier words, but is there a way to avoid having people of the period refer to "the Japs"? I can't find one. Nor can I find a newsreel or newspaper from the period that uses the full term, "Japanese".
Probably the most-used term other than "Japs" - the other term used in a derogatory sense - was based on Japan's being known, until the end of WWII, as Dai Nippon Teikoku.

I'm sure there wasn't. I hear Asians use the "O" word in documentaries and ads for hotels, Chinese food and the like.

I think that's more an American requirement. I've learned to say "Asian", but I don't think less of people of my parents' generation who use the old word.

I had a Chinese friend in college who was very insistent that people were Asian, and things like rugs, furniture, art were Oriental.

There was good natured teasing with my dad about it...

That is so funny. My dad kept a photo of some woman named Mickey with him for several years. We were just kids and at some point my mom ripped her up. Just ripped that pretty lady in two. We loved looking at her picture and how exotic she was. Years later when we were older we messed with my mom about it and she said "Oh yeah well what if Mickey showed up at the door with a brother or sister for ya who would take your college tuition?" Something to that effect.
Love, love the old photos. I have some of my dad's and guys names are written on the back. I should try and find them.

Thank you so very much to all our brave who served our country. You are appreciated.

BTW, first Veteran's Day without anyone representing WWI alive.

There are several members of my family/extended family in the military and I honor them as well as all who have served our country. If it weren't for these great Americans, where would we be today?

I truly appreciate and honor all veterans of all wars and those who are serving today.

On Saturday we named a street in honor of Marine Lance Cpl. Scott D. Porter 21 who was killed last year. His father asked the District Attorney if there was something we could do in his memory. The DA instantly said you got it, and immediately contacted the Mayor to get a street named in this fallen heroes name. Please read more.

http://douglasville.patch.com/articles/local-marine-killed-in-afghanistan

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire