DE DE - Wilmington, WhtFemale Skeletal UP8827, 25-70, long brown braid, Jun'11

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
This seems solvable to me although there is no info on height and weight, but few women have a braid like that.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8827

New Castle County, Delaware
25 to 50 year old White Female
Partial human skeletal remains found in area of thick underbrush and heavily wooded area near Colony Ct Apts off Lea Blvd in wooded area behind buildings, Wilmington, DE.
Long, fairly thick, dark brown hair, arranged in a single, loose braid, about 13 inches in length.
Blue men's shorts several feet away from remains. (may not be associated)

Dental radiographs and photographs are available in Images section. Teeth #8, #9, and #5 were separate from the skull and placed in appropriate sockets for the examination and radiographs.
Root tips present in area of # 12, and #14.
Appearance and type of dental treatment suggests that the dental treatment was completed prior to 1960, before the common usage of dental composite material. (Comment from original dental report) Unable to determine if mandibular molars are 17 or 18 after consult with two other odontologists. Also could not determine if 31 or 32, therefore all are coded as / for default code in NCIC.
DNA tests are not complete.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1194/16/

Sharon Redmon
Orange County, Virginia
29 year old white female
LKA February 22, 1993
Head hair:Brown midway down to back. Typically in braid

She wouldn't have had dental work prior to 1960 though.

She's missing from about 187 miles, 3 hrs 40 minutes away.
Wilmington, DE, USA to Unionville, 2, VA, USA - Google Maps

She is missing with her husband
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/1195
Orange
Circumstances
Andrew Redmon and his wife, Sharon Kim Redmon, were last seen in their hometown of Unionville, Virginia on February 22, 1993. Sharon was employed at an automobile parts company in Fredericksburg, Virginia at the time. She phoned her employer and requested the day off from work. Andrew was employed as a truck driver with Panel Construction in Fredericksburg, Virginia at the time of his disappearance. Andrew and Sharon's young son was staying with Andrew's parents on the day the couple disappeared. Andrew's mother told authorities that he arrived at their home with some of their child's belongings and mentioned that he and Sharon were considering traveling to Florida in the near future. Investigators also determined that Andrew asked an acquaintance for money on the day he and Sharon disappeared. The couple's vehicle, a blue 1986 Oldsmobile Calais with Virginia license plates numbered HIQ-285, has never been recovered.

Andrew's family contacted authorities after they were unable to locate the couple by early March 1993, approximately one week after they were last seen. Law enforcement officers searched the Redmons' residence and discovered shell casings from a small caliber handgun, as well as a broken table and other evidence of a struggle. DNA testing proved that blood stains located on the carpet were from Andrew.

Although the circumstances seem a little unlikely that facial construction is really very strong.

I'm sure there were/are little backstreet dentists still using the 'old methods' after 1960.

Have you submitted? I would if I were you. Dentals are available just not input yet so it would be an easy rule out (or not!).

I also found this news release on Sharon and Andrew: http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...f8yAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0gcGAAAAIBAJ&pg=1755,1536708

And to confuse matters further I also found a man and woman together (Sharon and Andrew?) in Virginia:
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6666
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10776
It says that the woman is african-american but given the circumstance and the huge amount of rules outs against the woman with no hit, it might be worth mentioning at the same time, just in case they have the race wrong. Age, place and timing is right. Then at least they can decide whether they want to look at this couple further or not.

The same person was listed as the Namus regional contact for both the MP and the UID so I sent an email to her.

I also noticed that Andrew's Namus page says that DNA is not available but if they matched bloodstains to his DNA it must have been available at some point so I asked about locating those results and loading them into the database. Maybe Sharon's DNA is somewhere as well.

The circumstances are a bit iffy, what with the struggle at home, but since there are indications that she/he/they might have had plans to leave home and the car is missing, maybe? It's across the state border on the way to Philadelphia or New York. Not Florida but if Andrew had anything to do with the struggle and the handgun casings at home he might not have been truthful about where he/they were going.

She has pretty good overall resemblance to the sketch and could have had dental work before 1960. Age LKA is younger than the age estimate but who knows when she might have died (I can't open the CP file, is there something about the circumstances of her disappearance?)

She's hard to rule in or out with no DNA and no dentals.

She has pretty good overall resemblance to the sketch and could have had dental work before 1960. Age LKA is younger than the age estimate but who knows when she might have died (I can't open the CP file, is there something about the circumstances of her disappearance?)

She's hard to rule in or out with no DNA and no dentals.

Weird that you can't open the Charley Project page. Details of her disappearance:

The day before her disappearance, she appeared troubled and told her mother she had something to tell her, but changed her mind. The next day, she vanished. She was last seen carrying a suitcase at the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station and sent a telegraph that night saying, "Got married. Leaving town. Will not be back. Don't worry. Babe".

One of the theories is that she ran away because of an illegitimate pregnancy.

I'm having problems with all the Charley pages at the moment. None of them open.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1194/16/

Sharon Redmon
Orange County, Virginia
29 year old white female
LKA February 22, 1993
Head hair:Brown midway down to back. Typically in braid

She wouldn't have had dental work prior to 1960 though.

She's missing from about 187 miles, 3 hrs 40 minutes away.
Wilmington, DE, USA to Unionville, 2, VA, USA - Google Maps

She is missing with her husband
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/1195
Orange
Circumstances
Andrew Redmon and his wife, Sharon Kim Redmon, were last seen in their hometown of Unionville, Virginia on February 22, 1993. Sharon was employed at an automobile parts company in Fredericksburg, Virginia at the time. She phoned her employer and requested the day off from work. Andrew was employed as a truck driver with Panel Construction in Fredericksburg, Virginia at the time of his disappearance. Andrew and Sharon's young son was staying with Andrew's parents on the day the couple disappeared. Andrew's mother told authorities that he arrived at their home with some of their child's belongings and mentioned that he and Sharon were considering traveling to Florida in the near future. Investigators also determined that Andrew asked an acquaintance for money on the day he and Sharon disappeared. The couple's vehicle, a blue 1986 Oldsmobile Calais with Virginia license plates numbered HIQ-285, has never been recovered.

Andrew's family contacted authorities after they were unable to locate the couple by early March 1993, approximately one week after they were last seen. Law enforcement officers searched the Redmons' residence and discovered shell casings from a small caliber handgun, as well as a broken table and other evidence of a struggle. DNA testing proved that blood stains located on the carpet were from Andrew.

Was she submitted as a possible match?

NT:

I believe the braid in the hair on the Unidentified is a match to Sharon Redmon

I submitted this to the Doe Network. It could be a few months before there is an answer but they will investigate and forward on to authorities.

I think Sharon Redmon is a very likely possibility, but I wanted to add that while the braid is distinctive, it wouldn't necessarily be mentioned in a missing persons report. Any woman with long hair might put her hair in a braid like that on occasion. When I had long hair, I'd sometimes braid it when I was doing yard work. So any missing woman who has very long hair might fit.

Was she submitted as a possible match?

I had emailed the Namus contact person about it and she replied that she'll contact the investigators.

I had amalgam fillings up until the early 90s, here in Mass, not rural area. I think the prior to '70 should be disregarded, as I remember all the fillings my friends were getting were also, like mine, the silver rather than composite, right up thru the eighties.

Maybe the composites came in earlier in some areas, but.... I don't know if I'd exclude someone by year just based on type of filling alone. :twocents:

I had amalgam fillings up until the early 90s, here in Mass, not rural area. I think the prior to '70 should be disregarded, as I remember all the fillings my friends were getting were also, like mine, the silver rather than composite, right up thru the eighties.

Maybe the composites came in earlier in some areas, but.... I don't know if I'd exclude someone by year just based on type of filling alone. :twocents:

I have seen cases where this kind of filling is described as foreign because it's "not quality typically seen in the US." :rolleyes: Maybe not in California...

California, or among wealthier folks who could afford newer, cosmetically pleasing methods? :waitasec:

So reading the details, it says specifically that she had gold restorations. That doesn't help narrow it down either, as I know gold was still used as recently as '96. I only know the exact year because I was pregnant with my first kid when my DH had to be driven by me (because he was in such pain from toothache) to the navy dentist on another base, whereupon he was drilled and filled with gold filling (and the kids always liked seeing his "gold tooth"!) I was really uncomfortable and cranky walking around heavily preggers in the cold weather lol. This was in DC, if area makes a difference.

So This is really a wide range of years then, that we are dealing with, especially since the post mortem interval is only given as the vague "years", and the wide age range too. :sigh:

How long do you think it would take for a loose braid to decompose completely "in an area of a thick underbrush"?

Some of the exclusions are cases that are decades old. Katherine Anderson disappeared in 1979. Would there still be hair left after 32 years? I'm kind of tempted to disregard the apparently ancient dental repairs and look at newer cases.

How long do you think it would take for a loose braid to decompose completely "in an area of a thick underbrush"?

Some of the exclusions are cases that are decades old. Katherine Anderson disappeared in 1979. Would there still be hair left after 32 years? I'm kind of tempted to disregard the apparently ancient dental repairs and look at newer cases.

Good point, but yes, sometimes hair survives decades or even centuries. A braid would tend to protect the inner parts of the hair from the elements, I would think.

I don't see any reason not to look at more recent cases. The dental information seems irrelevant.

Just bringing these to the thread for easy reference:

Rule outs:

Katherine Anderson 1954 Maryland
Zita Gutierrez 1955 Maryland
Katherine Heckel - NIC M504775967 Unknown Pennsylvania
Gene Kimmel 1951 Oregon
Mary Ann Knightly 1969 Delaware

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors