Should The Pill be OTC??

Then "yes" it is.

But aren't there some health risks associated with the pill? (IIRC these risks are less than the risks of pregnancy.) My question is whether women need some sort of consultation with a doctor before they take the pill. (For example, I'm sure there are still some girls who think you just take a pill when you have sex, probably even a few who think the pill will protect against STDs.)

I'm all for birth control. But I'm also entirely in favor of making sure women have all the information they need.

My 20 yr old had a consultation and is still confused about whether she should take the pill or not. There are various strengths, and they do have side effects and long term considerations. He explained it to her and she cannot decide. So over the counter might not be the best way to go. I think that young girls especially, need some guidance. Especially if they are going to smoke cigs and add other high risk choices on top of the risks of the higher strength BC pills. JMO

As much as I think all methods of birth control should be easily accessible and cheap if not free, I do think that hormonal birth control ought to be under at least the auspices of a licensed pharmacist so that mandatory counseling can be given prior to purchase.

I have had some skeery and icky side effects from the pill way in my past and combining those with the risks of stroke, blood clot and certain cancers make me believe that taking hormonal birth control MUST be done only with all the info at hand.

I know plenty of young (and not so young) women will not heed the advice and cautions given anyway, but at least some effort is in place to educate.

But on the whole, YES! Make ALL birth control OTC. :).

Let's all remember acetaminophen is an OTC drug.

Take too many of those in one day and your liver is fried leading to death or a transplant.

I say yes, make the pill OTC too, probably fewer health risks and MUCH better benefits to society.

From the article

And in El Paso, Texas, researchers studied 500 women who regularly crossed the border into Mexico to buy birth control pills, where some U.S. brands sell over the counter for a few dollars a pack. Over nine months, the women who bought in Mexico stuck with their contraception better than another 500 women who received the pill from public clinics in El Paso, possibly because the clinic users had to wait for appointments, said Dr. Dan Grossman of the University of California, San Francisco, and the nonprofit research group Ibis Reproductive Health.

Interesting....

I have mixed feelings on it. I do think it would be good for women who can't afford to see a doctor (no insurance or high deductible/co-pays) to still be able to have protection. In addition to the health risks, though, many insurance plans won't pay for OTC drugs, so it could mean that many others couldn't afford them. Maybe if it were like some meds that have OTC strengths and prescription strengths or some way to get both groups covered.

In addition to the health risks, though, many insurance plans won't pay for OTC drugs, so it could mean that many others couldn't afford them.

Generic birth control pills can cost as little as $9 a month.

Generic birth control pills can cost as little as $9 a month.

Where are they hiding them? Several young women I know including my own DD are all getting generic pills and they're still expensive.

Then "yes" it is.

But aren't there some health risks associated with the pill? (IIRC these risks are less than the risks of pregnancy.) My question is whether women need some sort of consultation with a doctor before they take the pill. (For example, I'm sure there are still some girls who think you just take a pill when you have sex, probably even a few who think the pill will protect against STDs.)

I'm all for birth control. But I'm also entirely in favor of making sure women have all the information they need.

In order for me to be on the pill years ago I had to have my yearly pap smear from my doctor.There are also different doses.Not all women take the same pill.

There are definately health risks involved.

I personally don't think birth control pills should be on display like Tic Tacs.

Where are they hiding them? Several young women I know including my own DD are all getting generic pills and they're still expensive.

Check the Target and Wal-Mart 4 dollar list and see if it is on there. There are a ton of generic drugs on their lists. (I do believe a 3 month supply is 10 bucks as well).

When I was on the pill (at age 19), I developed blood clots in my leg. It required three weeks of hospitalization and a year of blood thinning treatment.

I know my reaction is unusual, but I could have died if the problem was not caught in time.

I support the pill being OTC, I just hope that there is solid counselling given about risks and side effects.

When I was on the pill (at age 19), I developed blood clots in my leg. It required three weeks of hospitalization and a year of blood thinning treatment.

I know my reaction is unusual, but I could have died if the problem was not caught in time.

I support the pill being OTC, I just hope that there is solid counselling given about risks and side effects.
BBM

Not that unusual. When I was 19, I had the same thing after being on them for less than 3 months. I was actually on them for a different health problem, but was never able to use them again. I actually went without any form of BC until I was 30, and then had a tubal ligation (which turned out to not be permanent).

When we say OTC do we mean being able to grab them off of the shelf or asking for them behind the counter?

That does make a big difference.

OTC and the next thing we know, they will be sold in vending machines.

I think behind the counter would be the way to go. Same as they do with morning after pills.

When we say OTC do we mean being able to grab them off of the shelf or asking for them behind the counter?

That does make a big difference.

Over the counter usually means without a prescription.

As much as I think all methods of birth control should be easily accessible and cheap if not free, I do think that hormonal birth control ought to be under at least the auspices of a licensed pharmacist so that mandatory counseling can be given prior to purchase.

I have had some skeery and icky side effects from the pill way in my past and combining those with the risks of stroke, blood clot and certain cancers make me believe that taking hormonal birth control MUST be done only with all the info at hand.

I know plenty of young (and not so young) women will not heed the advice and cautions given anyway, but at least some effort is in place to educate.

But on the whole, YES! Make ALL birth control OTC. :).

I say yes they should be available without prescription too!

But your post really outlines how is should be done.

The morning after pill is available without prescription but it's behind the counter so that counseling can be done and questions asked in order to make sure it's a good fit for the purchaser.

I fully support any decision that allows women to self-govern their reproductive life. JMHO.

I googled it and that is what I got (along with the prices of 12+ other birth control methods).

I was always a condoms girl, never went on the pill (even used condoms after the surgical fix at 23). The pill is for those folks that think they are monogamous.

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder, or something like that. :fence:

Having taken care of women (and girls) who have had strokes, pulmonary emboli and blood clots in their legs directly related to taking birth control pills, I would have to say no.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back