Unbelievable! woman flashing her middle finger at Arlington

noZme

Reaction score
  • A photo of a Massachusetts woman flashing her middle finger at Arlington National Cemetery has sparked widespread disgust across the web and prompted an online petition to get the woman fired from her job. Lindsey Stone posted the picture of herself making the obscene gesture at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, next to a sign at the military cemetery that asks for 'Silence and Respect,' in October and the snapshot quickly went viral.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-Cemetery-posts-photo-Facebook-brag-it.html

https://www.facebook.com/FireLindseyStone

One must imagine that such a person is sentenced already to live in the private hell that is herself.

I think it's pretty obvious that she was making a pun about the sign. She's holding her mouth as if she's "shouting" and then being disrespectful. I think she did it as a funny image not in any way to be disrespectful of the people in the cemetery.

she needs to lose her job.........they sent her there free.
IMO, she like attention any way she can get it and she needs HELP!

Well, then this is a lesson that when you post photos on FB or other sites, it available for anyone to grab. Its just rude IMO. Freedom gives people rights, and I have a right not to like it, and I don't. She may a nice person, and this was just a bad reflection on her, but she did and then posted it - so its fair game for me to comment on it.

I can say that many of my questionable acts were not caught on film, and then posted on a website - this was.

I think it was meant to be a joke. All I ever hear from Americans is how it is a free country, and you have all these freedoms, and that is what makes it a great country, etc. etc. So how come those freedoms aren't extended to this person? If it is a free country, then she can flip the bird wherever she wants. Why should she get fired from her job?

Even if she is making some sort of anti-military statement (which I kind of wish she was!) then where in your Constitution is that prohibited? Wanting to censure someone because they don't toe the line of US politico-militarism? Ugh. No thanks.

IMO
eta the imo since I know this isn't going to be a popular pov. :)

I think it was meant to be a joke. All I ever hear from Americans is how it is a free country, and you have all these freedoms, and that is what makes it a great country, etc. etc. So how come those freedoms aren't extended to this person? If it is a free country, then she can flip the bird wherever she wants. Why should she get fired from her job?

Even if she is making some sort of anti-military statement (which I kind of wish she was!) then where in your Constitution is that prohibited? Wanting to censure someone because they don't toe the line of US politico-militarism? Ugh. No thanks.

IMO

Apparently her employers believed that their public image is more important to them than her right to act like a fool since the photographer was fired along with her.

Freedom is being able to do what you want on your own time, she was in a position representing the company. The backlash is based on that. She was witnessed behaving in such a way while at work with her clients.

That's why she got fired. IMO

IMO

I agree...inasmuch as freedom to do this sort of thing is there.

But, with freedom comes responsibility and consequences. I think this has far less to do with her "censuring the[...]US politico-militarism" and far more to do with the fact that she did this while on the clock at work, for a non-profit with clients there at the time.

Consequences to actions are indeed part of being free...and this is a consequence to her action.

Best-
Herding Cats

Reminds me of Cheney Mason flipping the bird out the window after the verdict was read and the defense team partying it up!

IMO

Alas, you should take what you hear from Americans with a grain of salt. Most of us are very much in favor of our OWN freedom, not so much in favor of anybody else's.

What a lot of overreaction in this case! The woman in question made an obscene gesture at a SIGN, not at an actual gravesite.

Quite disrespectful and showing very little class, but meh; there are lots of classless, tacky folks in the world and really, no harm was done. You can't police poor manners but I can see why she was fired.

OTOH, I imagine had this been a story of an American behaving thusly in another country, we would have had yet another sensationalized story of the ubiquitous "ugly American". ;).

ETA: to clarify my view on her firing, her employer likely felt that her rather public posting of a photo in questionable taste would reflect badly on the organization. And you just KNOW it would have.

Alas, you should take what you hear from Americans with a grain of salt. Most of us are very much in favor of our OWN freedom, not so much in favor of anybody else's.

What a lot of overreaction in this case! The woman in question made an obscene gesture at a SIGN, not at an actual gravesite.

Respectfully I haven't found that at all to be true of most Americans, but I also try to avoid making generalizations like that. I just get a lil bit prickly being lumped like that, lol. :)

She certainly is within her rights to be tacky, and within her rights to post the pic in social networking. And her employer is within their rights to terminate her for behavior that would potentially reflect badly on their non-profit org. And everyone else is within their rights to comment on a photo that she posted...... on the internet. :p

I think an adult woman on the job with clients should have known better than to do something like this, so I agree that she should be fired from her job. I have an adult mentally handicapped daughter who is taken on trips with her work. If a staff member behaved like this in front of my daughter, I would be horrified! They are supposed to be role models for the disabled to follow. Some disabled, seeing this, might think it is okay to do not only in this situation as a joke (not funny) but other times and places as well. One time recently at my daughter's work, two staff members had a disagreement in front of clients. It was brief and nothing too serious but the parents of every client were sent a letter about it, saying that their child might have seen it and that it violated their work code and that they were very sorry it had happened. The staff members were reprimended for it.

Respectfully I haven't found that at all to be true of most Americans, but I also try to avoid making generalizations like that. I just get a lil bit prickly being lumped like that, lol. :)

She certainly is within her rights to be tacky, and within her rights to post the pic in social networking. And her employer is within their rights to terminate her for behavior that would potentially reflect badly on their non-profit org. And everyone else is within their rights to comment on a photo that she posted...... on the internet. :p

Please see the word "most" in my original post. I wasn't including you or all Americans.

But I don't think my generalization was so overly broad.

Hi Nova...

What did the sign ask for? And where was it located? It was not in a Kmart parking lot... it was posted at a National Monument honoring those that gave their lives for our freedom.

I say she has every right to do this, and people have every right not to like it. I say it’s a lesson learned, if you’re going to something that you don't want others to know about, don't take a photo of the act and post it online.

Wonder if she defriended whomever it was that ratted her out?

Hi Nova...

What did the sign ask for? And where was it located? It was not in a Kmart parking lot... it was posted at a National Monument honoring those that gave their lives for our freedom.

I say she has every right to do this, and people have every right not to like it. I say it’s a lesson learned, if you’re going to something that you don't want others to know about, don't take a photo of the act and post it online.

Wonder if she defriended whomever it was that ratted her out?

Don't get me wrong, zip, I'm not saying I would do what she did, much less post it on FB. I just think termination is an overreaction.

A reprimand and a reminder of proper behavior when she is on the job would have sufficed. It wasn't a carefully planned collaboration with the enemy; it was a spur of the moment joke. Not a very funny one, as it turns out, but not every joke is a winner.

But I get that she works for a non-profit that probably depends on donations. It isn't worth it to the organization to risk losing any funding.

I can get fired on Monday because I wore the wrong color socks, or my boss thinks my breath smells bad. It is what it is. Federal Laws provide job protection against specific discrimination... I don't believe that acting the fool is covered under these laws.

If I owned a business and one of my employees did something that brought a negative public reaction that involved my company - (and this did when it was discovered she was on the job when she did it) - their butt would be out the door in a nanosecond.

I kinda feel sorry for this woman (a very little kinda), this blew up in her face. And good luck in getting another job, because as soon as HR googles her name - bingo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back