True love among the penguins

~n/t~

Reaction score
I think we can learn something from them. Note: spent long periods apart and each taken solo trips. :D

LONDON — It is a story of epic journeys and enduring love. A pair of Magellanic penguins has been found to be among the most faithful of couples in the animal kingdom.

During their 16-year relationship, they have spent long periods apart and each taken solo trips totalling 320,000 kilometres.

Yet, despite their long-distance relationship, each year the penguins have returned to the same nest, and each other, to produce a new brood of chicks.

Now they are growing old together — the birds normally die about 20 years after they start breeding.

Biologists have expressed surprise at the endurance of the birds’ relationship, as most Magellanic penguin pairings are cut short far sooner.

In some cases, one partner dies during their long sea journeys. Other pairings end in “divorce:” if a couple fail to rear chicks successfully during a breeding season, they will each find new partners the following year. The longest relationships previously seen by researchers were between five and 10 years.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/True+love+among+penguins/7590803/story.html

thanx for this :) I LOVE penguins!!! (all birds actually, but penguins have something special that makes them different, well, they all have special differences)

Birds and animals are my favorite forms of life these days. I only have to look at videos of Black Friday shoppers to remember why...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2237381/Adorable-baby-penguin-gets-kiss-mother.html
As they huddle together battling bitterly cold winds, a mother penguin reaches down and pecks her tiny fluffy chick on the head.

The adorable scene was captured by wildlife photographer Thorsten Milse on Snow Hill Island, Antarctica.

article-0-162CF634000005DC-67_634x783.jpg

They are such beautiful birds...their coloring is wonderful to look at....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back