UK - Drug dependence kills Black & Decker trepanning enthusiast a decade later

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Woman who used Black and Decker drill to bore a hole into her head
live on TV in bizarre health ritual dies a decade later... from drug abuse
(Daily Mail)
A woman who drilled a hole in her head in an attempt to cure her health problems has died – ten years later.

Heather Perry, 41, was filmed for US television as she performed the ancient practice known as trepanning, an inquest heard yesterday. She believed it would relieve pressure on her brain, but the attempt ended with her being taken to hospital because she drilled too deeply.

Miss Perry survived and returned home to Newent, Gloucestershire, but turned to drugs.
---
Miss Perry claimed in an interview with science blog Neurophilosophy in 2008 that she was inspired to go through with the procedure after hearing John Lennon had wanted to do it.
---
One of the most famous people to undergo trepanning is Amanda Feilding [Wiki], now 69, the Countess of Wemyss and March, wife of the landowning 13th Earl, and a friend of the Royal Family. She used a dentist’s drill to perform the procedure at 23.
Much more, with pictures and informative trepanning sidebar, at link above

Amazing! 6,500 BCE is a pretty long time ago in human civilization. I wonder what else they did "surgeries" on?? The picture of the skull is harrowing, imo, but at least the brain isn't infested with tissues that register pain. But of course the scalp is a different story-- and it must have bled like the dickens.

I'm fascinated, thanks for the linky, Woof!

Trepanning's always interested me - not in the sense I'd consider doing it or having it done, but in - what - the medico-historical sense I suppose. I've read several detailed articles about the infamous late '60s one referred to in the Mail article (the Amanda Feilding/Joey Mellen/Dr Bart Hughes thing - and also excerpts from Mellen's book on the subject, 'Bore Hole'). Another trepanning article of note:

You Need It Like . . .
. . . a Hole in the Head?
(Washington Post)

She took alot of acid that mashed up her brain a bit?

Reoccuring words being mashed, brain and of course bit as in a dang drill bit.

If John Lennon was going to do it then what the hey?

RIP Miss Perry

She took alot of acid that mashed up her brain a bit?

Reoccuring words being mashed, brain and of course bit as in a dang drill bit.

If John Lennon was going to do it then what the hey?

RIP Miss Perry
As John could write, "Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither wildly as they slip away across the universe" without trepanation, I assume he had no need of it!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back