GUILTY MN - Byron Smith charged with murder after shooting 2 teens

I thought this would be interesting.

I have a lot of questions about this case.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/stor...-monday-in-little-falls-thanksgiving-shooting

I would like to hear from the victim's family side of the story.

either they were breaking in or they were not.

Castle Doctrine

Minnesota has not enacted a castle law. Existing state statute states that persons do not have a duty to retreat before using deadly force to protect themselves or prevent a felony from being committed inside their residence. However, gun rights advocates have reported instances where persons protecting themselves inside their home were criminally charged because they did not retreat.

Minnesota’s statute states:

The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Minnesota-Gun-Rights.htm

Next door, in South Dakota, we are a Castle Law state. I thought this would be the case in MN but it isn't. This case may get a lot of attention as a vehicle for changing gun laws in MN. Gov. Dayton vetoed the Castle Law bill in 2012.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/141497673.html

I hope whatever happened, we get the real story

I don't believe the home owners's account 100%

There has to be more to the story

Daily Mail has given this story large play:

'They didn't deserve to die': Outrage after popular students are found
murdered in man's basement after 'they robbed his home on Thanksgiving'

• Bodies of Haile Kifer, 18, and Nick Brady Schaeffel, 17, found day after they were shot during break-in
• Byron Smith, 64, admitted to killing the teens during police search
• Minnesota law allows people to use deadly force when protecting their homes - but prosecutors claim he used more than necessary
• Smith charged with second-degree murder 'after telling police he shot more times than necessary because Kifer laughed when his gun jammed'
the story, with several pictures, at the link

The case reminds of the Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland's; he was sentenced to prison after firing repeatedly into the body of a would-be robber who had already been shot and was unresponsive, killing him.

Wow...that guy is a bit nutty to say the least. He waited a day to call the police because (he didn't want to bother the officers on thanksgiving) and asked his neighbor if he knew a good lawyer before letting anyone know about this.

Why was he asking for a lawyer and then telling the police all kinds of crazy stuff that he KNEW would make matters worse?

I think this man has some mental problems. Maybe Alzheimers or something?

Wow...that guy is a bit nutty to say the least. He waited a day to call the police because (he didn't want to bother the officers on thanksgiving) and asked his neighbor if he knew a good lawyer before letting anyone know about this.

Why was he asking for a lawyer and then telling the police all kinds of crazy stuff that he KNEW would make matters worse?

I think this man has some mental problems. Maybe Alzheimers or something?

either he is mentally ill or he is not telling the whole truth.

are we allowed to paraphrase off of Facebook?

I'm thinking he knew them in some way. JMO

either he is mentally ill or he is not telling the whole truth.

He could be a vet who suffers from PTSD, he may have been heavily drinking that day, he is on medications that blur his mind or he may just be bat ***** crazy. IMHO

http://www.startribune.com/local/180785621.html?refer=y

if they did break in, it seems that one or both may have been looking for drugs.

If they were looking for drugs, what were they doing in the basement? Why didn't they go UP the stairs to check in bathroom medicine cabinets and on bedside tables or even in the kitchen?

And if the boy was shot first, why did the girl casually follow him into the line of fire, rather than turning and running for the door? And then she laughed after the old man had shot her once and killed her cousin?

Add the 48-hour wait and the call to a lawyer before 911, and none of the story here makes sense.

^^^^If he already suspected them and given his incredible story, I suspect he shot them elsewhere and staged the scene in the basement. I hope the police check the house and property thoroughly.

If they were looking for drugs, what were they doing in the basement? Why didn't they go UP the stairs to check in bathroom medicine cabinets and on bedside tables or even in the kitchen?

And if the boy was shot first, why did the girl casually follow him into the line of fire, rather than turning and running for the door? And then she laughed after the old man had shot her once and killed her cousin?

Add the 48-hour wait and the call to a lawyer before 911, and none of the story here makes sense.

BBM The ubiquitous bath salts?

Yeah the likelihood of ALL of them being that crazy and just happening to meet up in the basement during a random break-in seems rather far fetched.

When iluvmua mentioned drugs I thought she meant illegal, not prescription. If there were drugs involved there was plenty of time to make them disappear (I just wonder why he didn't make the bodies disappear, if it was random changes are no one would have suspected him).

The homeowner sounds very off here, but I do have to say; if you break into my house, I'm going to shoot you. I am not going to ask how old you are. I am not going to ask if you have a weapon. I am not going to ask what you are looking for. I am going to shoot you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back