Female military members sue to serve in combat

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=1&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L1_UNEWS

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Four female service members filed a lawsuit Tuesday challenging the Pentagon's ban on women serving in combat, hoping the move will add pressure to drop the policy just as officials are gauging the effect that lifting the prohibition will have on morale..............

Hunt and the other three women said the policy unfairly blocks them from promotions and other advancements open to men in combat. Three of the women are in the reserves. A fourth, Marine Corp Lt. Colleen Farrell, leaves active duty this week.

Women comprise 14 percent of the 1.4 million active military personnel. The lawsuit alleges that women are barred from 238,000 positions across the Armed Forces..............more at link.......

Interesting, I did not know this about the US! Here in Canada, I think that restriction was lifted years ago.

eta - it was 1989.

The biggest reason IMO is it would be too much of a distraction for the men. Also men have a natural urge to be protectors especially when it comes to women. Imagine how this could play out during combat. And lastly I don't believe women are equal to men physically. Not meaning all women are weaker just most.

I can't help but remember the story i posted here a while back about the woman who gave birth on the front lines...she was from europe i believe, not the US

I think any female that can meet the rigorous traning and physical qualifications that are needed for combat should serve.

They should be allowed to do any MOS in the military that they are qualified to do.

Not allowing them to do a job that of which they are qualified to do because of the sex and/or gender is sexist and prejudicial.

Some of the strongest (both physically and emotionally) women I have ever met are women who are active duty military members. I have the utmost respect for them and if they know they can do a job and do it well I say let them have their chance.

The American military gives all females a pregnancy test at MEPS (when they first report for enlistment).

They are also required to submit to a pregnancy test during SRP (Soldier Readiness Program) prior to any deployments.

I think any female that can meet the rigorous traning and physical qualifications that are needed for combat should serve.

They should be allowed to do any MOS in the military that they are qualified to do.

Not allowing them to do a job that of which they are qualified to do because of the sex and/or gender is sexist and prejudicial.

Some of the strongest (both physically and emotionally) women I have ever met are women who are active duty military members. I have the utmost respect for them and if they know they can do a job and do it well I say let them have their chance.

Well stated, Kat, and I agree...thanks!

The biggest reason IMO is it would be too much of a distraction for the men. Also men have a natural urge to be protectors especially when it comes to women. Imagine how this could play out during combat. And lastly I don't believe women are equal to men physically. Not meaning all women are weaker just most.

After reading many articles and personal accounts by men service members telling how protective they are of each other in all situations during our wars, IMO, it is not a negative that any women who qualify to be in combat should also receive the same protection from their unit as the men. They are trained to work as a team and that is part of it.

General Statement: Women already serve in combat, they just cannot hold direct combat arms mos's and because of that cannot get the kind of leadership positions that help with advancement like their male counterparts. That is what this lawsuit is about. As a veteran I can assure you that there are plenty of women who can hold their own and put many men to shame in Garrison and in Theater (home and deployed) Also, camaraderie has no sexual orientation and as far as women being the weaker sex, sexual assault happens to men by other men a lot more than you realize over there.
My opinion based on personal experience.

I wonder if the main objection to letting women hold combat positions is still "troop cohesion." I know that when this has been discussed in the past, it was one of the objections. I believe this was also one of the reasons for having 'don't ask, don't tell.'

I feel that having done away with restrictions on gays in the military, that restrictions on women will go away too.

If women are allowed to serve in direct combat arms (ie: Infantry), then all women upon reaching the age of 18 should be required to register for Selective Service, just as all men are. If women can serve in those MOSes, then they should be subject to the draft just as men are. (In the event we were to need a draft in the future....which I doubt.)

I've worked alongside female firefighters and police officers and if they can hold their own and if they passed the same physical agility tests that I had to pass, then I have no problem with it.

If women are allowed to serve in direct combat arms (ie: Infantry), then all women upon reaching the age of 18 should be required to register for Selective Service, just as all men are. If women can serve in those MOSes, then they should be subject to the draft just as men are. (In the event we were to need a draft in the future....which I doubt.)

I've worked alongside female firefighters and police officers and if they can hold their own and if they passed the same physical agility tests that I had to pass, then I have no problem with it.

I agree Patx.

I think modern, automatic weapons are pretty good equalizers.

As for a "natural urge to be protectors", don't we train our soldiers to feel that urge for their entire squadron?

Interesting, I did not know this about the US! Here in Canada, I think that restriction was lifted years ago.

eta - it was 1989.

Canada - always so sensible! I hope we can be like you when we grow up :)

Israel and other countries already do this but it is required for males and females to serve their country for a period of time, not just by draft . I have no problem with it.

Gender is irrelevant to me. It should be based on who is best qualified for the job.

Few female Marines step forward for infantry

Female Marine officers are unlikely to join the infantry anytime soon, in part because of a lack of volunteers for the Marine Corps‘ Infantry Officer Course, which was opened to women in September.

Only two of about 80 eligible female Marines have volunteered for the course — a grueling, three-month advanced regimen conducted at Quantico, Va., that was opened to women to research their performance.

Read more: Few female Marines step forward for infantry - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ines-step-forward-for-infantry/#ixzz2DiZqCvsb
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back