GUILTY TX - Jerry Brown, 25, killed by drunk driver, Irving, 8 Dec 2012

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Cowboys' Brent jailed for accident that killed teammate Brown (AP/Sports Illustrated)
IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Dallas Cowboys practice-squad linebacker Jerry Brown was killed in a one-car accident Saturday and teammate Josh Brent was charged with intoxication manslaughter.

Irving police spokesman John Argumaniz said the accident happened about 2:20 a.m. Saturday in the Dallas suburb. Brent was speeding when the vehicle hit a curb and flipped at least once.

Argumaniz says the 25-year-old Brown was found unresponsive at the scene and pronounced dead at a hospital.

Officers conducted a field sobriety test on Brent and arrested him. The charge was upgraded after Brown was pronounced dead.
---
more at the link

No one enjoyed summer practice more than Illinois defensive tackle Josh Brent, who spent 30 days in Champaign County Jail for a misdemeanor DUI offense. "You get a new outlook on life and some of the mistakes I've made," said Brent, whose playing status remains undecided by coach Ron Zook. "You realize a lot of things [while in jail]; how naive and dumb you can be sometimes."
http://deadspin.com/5966897/?

I'll never understand why it is so hard to call a taxi cab? Not that it is the NFL's responsibility, but isn't there some kind of limo/taxi service for their players where they can call them and have them picked up safely from an establishment? Also, I would like to know how much this guy was served? Was he cut off at all? Did they try and get him to take a cab? Did he refuse a cab? And legally, the establishment is responsible for their customers after they get into a vehicle and drive home... especially if they were overserved or allowed to drive drunk.

I am very sad, but it appears that this man had not learned his lesson from a previous DUI and a young man is dead because of it. Hope he is punished to the full extent of the law. He has lost not only his career and freedom, but the life of his friend too. All because he did not want to pay a minimum of 30 dollars for a cab. So senseless.

On the back of every player's union card is a number they can call if they need a ride home. I think it's $85 for the service.

I'm about at the point where I wish, if a player gets an alcohol offense, he is required to employ and use a driver for all driving. But that's never going to happen.

How sad that a man lost his life because of someone who drove drunk. Again.

He posted bond of $500,00.00, according to last night's news. He also earns an annual salary of $500,000.00+, so he could certainly afford a cab. The rest of the team is rallying around him in support.

Josh Brent sentenced to 180 days in jail

DALLAS — Former Dallas Cowboy nose tackle Josh Brent was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years probation.

Judge Robert Burns III had harsh words for the Dallas Cowboys after he read the sentence Friday morning.

"Sadly, Mr Brent, you're not the first Dallas Cowboy to kill someone with a motor vehicle," Burns said. "But, I sure hope you're the last. And sadly, you're not the first Dallas Cowboy to be convicted of a felony in this past year's time, but I hope you're the last for a long time."

The judge said Brent's "actions bring shame to the city of Dallas and brought up his previous DWI.

full article and video at link ............... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...jail-crash-intoxication-manslaughter/4823821/

Former Dallas Cowboy Josh Brent could be headed to prison after he was accused of violating his probation in the drunken-driving crash that killed his teammate and best friend Jerry Brown.

A warrant for Brent's arrest was issued this week. The warrant came after the former defensive tackle's arrest Sunday in Coppell on charges of assault on a public servant and resisting arrest. Coppell police have said a public intoxication charge is pending.

Brent did not appear to be in the Dallas County jail Thursday.

Former Dallas Cowboy Josh Brent wanted for possible probation violation after arrest in Coppell | Crime | Dallas News

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back