Odd Right to Die Case

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hospital, mom battle over life support
In court today, facility to argue that ventilator is prolonging suffering

HOUSTON – Tiny, delicate and genetically deformed, a boy named Sun has been lying in intensive care at Texas Children's Hospital since he was born Sept. 25, sustained by a mechanical ventilator – and, for now, by a court order.

Doctors have decided, following a process provided by Texas law, that it's unethical to continue life support because the boy has a lethal skeletal abnormality that causes a shrunken upper body and undeveloped lungs.

Wanda Hudson say the doctors want to "murder" her son.
He's suffocating, doctors say.

But Sun's mother, Wanda Hudson, 33, is fighting to keep her son alive, and the matter has ended up in court. Harris County Probate Judge William McCulloch will hold a hearing today to decide whether to continue a temporary order barring termination of life support.

Sun's case is raising a new elemental question of life-and-death decisions.

But it's different from another well-known case – that of Terry Schiavo, the brain-damaged Florida woman whose family – and politicians – have fought over letting her die, said William Winslade, who teaches medical law and ethics.

The Hudson case is in court partly because the hospital lacks confidence in the mother's mental competence. She says her son was fathered not by a man but by "the sun that shines in the sky," who will decide whether he lives.

Typically, conditions such as Sun's, which doctors call thanatophoric dysplasia, are diagnosed in-utero and pregnancies ended, he said. But Ms. Hudson, a former dental technician, did not go to the doctor before delivering her baby.

"I didn't receive prenatal care because I trusted in the sun," she said. "I also said, 'Sun if you are who you say you are, which is creator of the sun and the Earth, then let me have Sun with no pain.' So I had my son with no pain. Ever since then, it's just been a battle," she said.

What is thanatophoric dysplasia: A condition characterized by disproportionately short arms and legs with extra folds of skin, a narrow chest, small ribs, underdeveloped lungs, and an enlarged head with a large forehead and prominent, wide-spaced eyes.

When doctors suggested to Ms. Hudson that Sun should be allowed to die peacefully, she said they wanted to "murder" him because they didn't understand he's special.

"When I told them ... who he was ... they felt like they had to put me in a psychiatric hospital," said Ms. Hudson, who has a healthy 17-year-old son who lives with his father.

When she last looked at Sun, Ms. Hudson said, she saw "a handsome baby boy that's full of life, love and energy, just raring to go."

Hospital officials have said the baby is not conscious and lies almost motionless.

The law requires the hospital to sustain the baby for at least 10 days to allow Ms. Hudson to find a hospital that will honor her wishes. She and her lawyer have been looking since shortly after Sun's birth in September but hadn't found one as of Tuesday, Mr. Caballero said.

Whatever the court decides, doctors say it's likely that Sun will die within a few months because no amount of artificial life support can sustain him for long.

On the other hand, Mr. Caballero said he has found cases of children living for several years.

"They did die eventually, but they did have a life," he said. "Who's to say that's not the right decision?"

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/020905dntexbaby.58503.html

Yup - been on the news lots here - An interesting aside, the hospital is actually paying this womans lawyer bills because they dont want her to feel like she has no choice in the matter.

The poor misguided woman. Besides the fact that she thinks the sun is the father, it is hard to lose a child, and she is about to lose hers. She has an extreme case of denial. It is extremely generous of the hospital to pay for her attorney so that she can have her voice heard. I hope the baby goes peacefully and soon.

I assume that the woman is not bearing any of the cost to keep him alive in a hospital.

when my daughter was "misdiagnosed" with Trisomy 18 and we were told she was going to die... all I thought of is that GOD would take her quickly. I didn't want her to suffer and if that is what was going on, there was no way I wanted my child to ever ever suffer in any form. I thought her going to heaven was the best...

AND THANKFULLY, the doctors were completely wrong and misdiagnosed her. Today, she's a beautiful, highly intelligent 7 yr old.... I THANK GOD for THIS mistake. :D

blueclouds said:
when my daughter was "misdiagnosed" with Trisomy 18 and we were told she was going to die... all I thought of is that GOD would take her quickly. I didn't want her to suffer and if that is what was going on, there was no way I wanted my child to ever ever suffer in any form. I thought her going to heaven was the best...

AND THANKFULLY, the doctors were completely wrong and misdiagnosed her. Today, she's a beautiful, highly intelligent 7 yr old.... I THANK GOD for THIS mistake. :D

Absolutely!!!! What a wonderful story!!

vicktor said:
I assume that the woman is not bearing any of the cost to keep him alive in a hospital.

No, I don't think that she is. Its truly heartbreaking because there are alot of people who CAN be helped medically and can't afford the treatment that they need. I assume the hospital initially was trying to get around having to deal with this mentally unstable woman. Now, the problem is trying to find another hospital that will accept this boy (free) or a judge willing to do the necessary and allow the hospital to let this baby go if that's God's will.

Mother gets time to challenge the hospital's opinion on terminal baby

By LEIGH HOPPER
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Sun Hudson, a baby boy diagnosed with a fatal form of dwarfism and unable to breathe on his own, will remain on life support until at least next week, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Houston Chronicle

The folks at Texas Children's are really amazing people. If this boy is to make it, there is no better place for him to be. People bring their kids from all over the world to Texas Children's Hospital.

Prayers for everyone, including the judge.

WasBlind said:
Mother gets time to challenge the hospital's opinion on terminal baby

By LEIGH HOPPER
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Sun Hudson, a baby boy diagnosed with a fatal form of dwarfism and unable to breathe on his own, will remain on life support until at least next week, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Houston Chronicle

The folks at Texas Children's are really amazing people. If this boy is to make it, there is no better place for him to be. People bring their kids from all over the world to Texas Children's Hospital.

Prayers for everyone, including the judge.

You are so right about that hospital. My dear friend's daughter had so many stomach problems and not one single doctor over here could diagnose her. One idiot went so far as to say she was "too sensitive" and "nervous." Two years of back and forth to every doctor in Lafayette and that's the best she got. ONE HOUR at Texas Children's hospital and she was diagnosed with Chrons Disease. (I know that is spelled wrong!)

Judge has ruled that no other hospital can be found who would take a chance on him recovering if kept alive. Hospital can remove Life Support. Mother is appealing.

By The Associated Press
(3/15/05 - HOUSTON) — A critically ill 5-month-old baby who Texas Children's Hospital says cannot be saved was to be taken off life support after a judge's ruling lifted an injunction that had prevented doctors from halting care they believe is futile.

Wanda Hudson, who fought to continue her son Sun's medical care, said the hospital was sending a cab for her Tuesday morning. Her attorney, Mario Caballero, said the child would be disconnected from life support at 2 p.m.

Full story here, and Sun's photo

Prayers for the mother, the baby, and the hospital staff who surely have come to love this little baby while caring for him.

In Christ's love, Lanie

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back