MN MN - Anne Barber Dunlap, 31, Minneapolis, 30 Dec 1996

MistyGirl

Reaction score
This was a HUGE story back in 1996 when it happened and still is unsolved. HEr husband is still a suspect. Does anyone remember hearing about this case??? I had forgot about her until I saw the article the other day.

Feb 7, 2005 9:00 pm US/Central
Minneapolis (WCCO) The murder of Anne Barber Dunlap is one of Minnesota's most infamous unsolved crimes.

The homicide unit of the Minneapolis police department is going back and looking at all of its cold cases since the 1950s, as new technology and fresh information can bring breakthroughs. The unit has more than 800 unsolved cases, and many are unforgettable.

One involves 31-year-old Anne Barber Dunlap, who was found murdered in 1996.

"These cases strike to us personally, on a human level, we never forget these people," said Lt. Lee Edwards, who runs the homicide department for the Minneapolis police.

Dunlap was a successful Pillsbury marketing manager and a long-distance runner. In 1995, Anne and her husband, Brad Dunlap, were living with her parents in Minneapolis while they built their dream home in Medina, Minn.

The couple had recently raised Anne Dunlap's life insurance policy to $1 million. (click on link to read full story)
http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_038111643.html

Time line from http://wcco.com/content/local_story_038175631.html Click on link to see full time line)

Feb 7, 2005 4:53 pm US/Central
(WCCO)
Dec. 30, 1995: Anne Dunlap reported missing by her husband and friends.

Jan. 1, 1996: Dunlap’s body found in the trunk of her car in Kmart parking lot in south Minneapolis.

Jan. 6, 1996: Dunlap’s funeral held.

Feb. 5, 1996: Police say Dunlap’s husband, Brad, may have increased Ann’s life insurance policy to $1 million a few months before her death.

Feb. 6, 1996: Small amount of Anne Dunlap’s blood found in parents garage where the couple had been living. Police search house for the third time.

Oct. 23, 1996: Brad Dunlap files suit in attempt to collect more than $1 million from wife’s life insurance policy.

http://wcco.com/crimesceneblog (Click on link for full article)
The Murder Of Anne Barber Dunlap (link)
Feb 7, 2005 9:58 pm

As a crime reporter, I often get asked about unsolved murders that have been in the news. None has generated more questions than the brutal stabbing of Anne Barber Dunlap on the last weekend of 1995. It remains one of the highest profile murders in Twin Cities history.

People still can’t forget the images from this crime. They remember the news videotape of police inspecting her abandoned car in a Kmart parking lot as her husband waited nearby. People ask me if he is still a suspect and wonder if her parents are still convinced of his innocence.

At the time she was killed, Anne lived with her husband, Brad Dunlap, in her parents’ home near Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis. The young couple was building their dream home in suburban Medina. Anne was a successful Pillsbury marketing manager and an avid runner who had many friends.

Anne was last seen alive on the Saturday of New Year’s weekend. Her husband reported her missing to police the next day, on Dec. 31, saying she had never come home from a shopping trip to the Mall of America.

Friends fanned out all over the area, searching for Anne. Two days after she disappeared, Anne’s friends found her car in the Kmart parking lot on Lake Street in Minneapolis. It was towed to the police garage, where Anne’s body was found in the trunk, her throat slashed, her chest repeatedly stabbed. The tip of a knife was still stuck in her head.

Police quickly focused on Brad Dunlap as the prime suspect. Anne’s murder became one of the most highly covered crime stories in recent years. News crews camped out round the clock at Anne’s parents’ home, often followed Brad Dunlap and - night after night - provided coverage of even the smallest development in the case.

Eventually, the news coverage subsided, and Brad Dunlap left Minneapolis to build a new life, out of the glare of the media spotlight.

As the 10th anniversary of Anne’s murder approaches, no one has ever been charged in her murder. Minneapolis homicide investigators say Brad Dunlap remains their prime suspect.

I have interviewed Brad Dunlap twice - most recently in January 2005 - since he moved from Minnesota to Arizona. Dunlap says police have not followed up on other leads and insists he is the victim. He has remarried, is building a new house in Arizona and wants the media to leave him alone.

Ok these were juat a few things I found when searching today. Curious to hear your thoughts on this case.

Fascinating case. A few years back, I remember hearing about a body being found buried in a barn in Goodhue, Minnesota, and also about a girl's body being found in a field or woods near there. I have often wondered what the status of such cases are.

Why are the police focusing on the husband, other than it is the spouse? Did the husband have an alibi? Was anything missing--like purse/jewelry? Sounds like it was overkill (which indicates someone with an emotional tie). Did the wife or husband have a gf/bf on the side? What did the husband do for a living?

I remember this case... I grew up in MPLS and was still living there at the time... I can't remember exactly, but I do remember that her husband acted strange...
Her family believes he is guilty too, right ???

Actually her family is standing by him. THey still are very close as a matter of fact they are goi gto spend a week with him soon inAZ. (see articles I posted above in 1st post)

I was hoping others out there might have more information on this case.

I have been looking into this case more recently then when it first happened, I have to admit the whole Laci thing did have something to do with it. I don't really know a whole bunch about the details only what the Tribune put out at the time. What disturbs me the most is that Anne Barber Dunlap was brutally stabbed, murdered and left with out anyone being brought to justice, her life is and will remain over. I did not know Anne and as an outsider it is bothersome to think that a vicious killer has so far gotten away with it! If it were my wife I would not rest until every possibility was sought out and if at all possible I would have helped the police and cooperated with a polygraph (did he ever take one) or whatever else they needed from me. BUT, this does not seem to be the case because meanwhile in the aftermath her husband appeared to swiftly move on with his life. Sure we all greive differently but rumor has it he has a very nice life in Arizona, after only a short while he married a beautiful young wife, adopted some kids, big home, career, golfing at the country club etc and his past is gone without a trace. Anne's death is as if he never heard about it or even knew her.
Maybe he knows who did it, maybe he did it himself arranged or otherwise, and maybe he IS innocent but one thing for sure he's not talking and in my opinion that is suspicious. I think he hopes it will never be more then having her family in town every now and again and that we will all give up
but he is wrong, nobody forgets senseless horror and brutality like that.

nanandjim said:
Why are the police focusing on the husband, other than it is the spouse? Did the husband have an alibi? Was anything missing--like purse/jewelry? Sounds like it was overkill (which indicates someone with an emotional tie). Did the wife or husband have a gf/bf on the side? What did the husband do for a living?

The husband.. says he didn't do it. Her parents are STILL standing behind him.
There was proof that the murder happened in her parents garage where they were staying as they were building their new home.

He has sence moved to Arizona and is re-married.

It took him a few years to collect the Money from her life insurance policy, but he was able to get it. He is STILL a suspect, but they do not have enough evidence.

10 years ago today... :(

lg

Anne Barber Dunlap

photo courtesy of WCCO.com

In memory.
Rest in peace, Anne. :blowkiss:

i dont know who would have done this and for what reasons...the only reason would almost have to be a personal one by someone that ann knew well... in one of the articles listed upthread it read that the house of his parents that they were living in where the blood was found - the parents claimed it was "their" blood...whose would that be ? his or hers?

i sure hope with the all of the new technology since 1997 the investigators will be able to suss some of this out...

Of course the husband says he didn't do it. He'd say that whether he did or didn't kill her.

But he moved away, shunned the media, remarried fast. Got A MILLION BUCKS for his dead previous wife and yeah. What Stephen said, back in '05, basically.

I would like to hear how his life is going after all of these years. Is he still married to the wife in Arizona? Is her opinion of him different than it was at the beginning of their marraige? Has he been in trouble with the law? Mental problems? Problems with drugs or alcohol? Does he have a career? How did the adopted kids turn out?

Does anyone know if any forensic evidence was preserved which could now be re-examined with modern scientific techniques?

the house of his parents that they were living in where the blood was found - the parents claimed it was "their" blood...whose would that be ? his or hers?

Nervous Nellie:

The Minneapolis Star Tribune article dealing with the blood said as follows:

Contrary to public reports, the Barbers say they did not refuse to give police blood samples: "We specifically suggested it, and they said it was not necessary."

And yes, police did take blood samples from the floor and remove the house door in the Barbers' garage, which Louise Barber believes may have had blood on it. But both parents said they had cut themselves recently and strongly believe the blood is theirs.

Louise Barber said that she cut her hand on a piece of broken glass while putting out recycling around Christmas and that she most likely got blood on the door and floor. She also bled in the bathroom sink.

Donn Barber said he cut his hand while installing a door latch to a new house door to replace the one police had seized two days earlier. He got blood on a chisel, which he later wiped clean with a tissue, and which police seized in a second search.

No, police did not rip out pipes from their home - but they did take the drain trap in the laundry room.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Anne_Barber_Dunlap

DNA would be good but since police haven't mentioned anything since 2005, they should open it and review it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back