Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Please continue the discussion here:

At least 26 dead in shooting at Connecticut elementary school

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...-connecticut-elementary-school/#ixzz2F3id8S00

Thread #1

Thread #2

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Of...own-Victims-in-School-Massacre-183652041.html
Officials Release Names of Newtown Victims in School Massacre

Children:
Charlotte Bacon, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Olivia Engel, 6
Josephine Gay, 7
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine F. Hsu, 6
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6
Chase Kowalski, 7
Jesse Lewis, 6
James Mattioli, 6
Grace McDonnell, 7
Emilie Parker, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Aveille Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison N. Wyatt, 6

Adults:
Dawn Hochsprung, 47
Rachel Davino, 29
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Lauren Rousseau, 30
Mary Sherlach, 56
Victoria Soto, 27

Well, we know Adam had to have more than ordinary troubles, imo, if he quit school and took a test to graduate. Just what all that entails, will be forthcoming. Was he bullied? Was he antisocial? Issues with the divorce when he was teen? Actually, his brother, from his tumblr account is not "healthy" either, especially for a man of 24.

The discussions of the firearms in the house made me think about my father's hunting gun, etc. I tried to remember where he and my mother kept it hidden. I DON'T know....never did. There was only me and our first house was only a little 2 bedroom...and I snooped! lol They must have hidden it the detached garage outside somewhere knowing that I was too spooked to enter that place by myself. I do know I knew never to touch one unless they were around because a whippin' or an unforgettable scolding could be counted on.

***Just my :twocents:, but for those distraught in what to tell their children, imo, just tell them the truth. That it was a very trouble, sick man that made some very bad decisions. It was a very rare incident. I wouldn't even mention of it occurring in his school, etc unless they asked because that in itself could cause them to worry ...especially if they are a worrier and are subject to reflecting on such matter. If they see you as a parent emotionally upset, then they will think they too should in emulating that emotion, and it's too much to expect from a child. JMO

Was gone for a while today... came back and went online... Unspeakable.
There are no words I can think of to say to the families of the victims.
I have children and and I can't imagine . They should be safe at school !

I'm also very angry with the shooter. And to murder his mom as well ?
Think I'll go and have a 'time out' for a while !!!

I am very troubled why he was taken away in HANDCUFFS for questioning.

why?

I think if he is just collateral damage from the shooter that was a VERY BAD choice in how to take him in to talk to him.

moo

This was apparently only a precaution because so much about this horrific crime was unknown at the time the police located him (according to news reports discussing this question on CNN). His ID was also used by the killer.

It ticks me off that they showed him being put into a police car. They ruined his privacy and he had nothing to do with it. Now a lot of morons will think he had something to do with it. JMO

20/20 is interviewing students from the school. They are giving stores on what the teachers did to help save them. They are going through the days events blow by blow..

I will be curious to see if we find that NL had some mental health issues of her own. Not, obviously, on par with AL's, but enough that she didn't regard his problems as ones that someday be lethal. Maybe untreated issues combined with insistent denial.

It would explain why she had firearms accessible to AL, despite being cognizant of his instability. Her older son has acknowledged some kind of personality disorder or major mental health issue. If one family member knows of it, then likely all family members are aware of it.

I also wonder if RL has not been in contact with NL as well as AL. He may have chosen to put physical and mental distance between himself and family members who were not dealing with their dysfunctions.

I'm speculating on this because, absent the unspeakable violence, I have family members like this, and have put long-term distance between them and me for emotional self-preservation. And all JMO.

I still can't fathom the senseless murder of twenty little ones whose biggest concerns should have been what holiday gifts were coming their way. The fear those children must have felt is gut-wrenching.

O/T, but I've been looking at the photograph Holiday cards friends, family and neighbors have sent me with pictures of their braeutiful children on them and now I can not stop wondering will they make it past ten years old or will they grow up and murder people.

Just absolutely lovely, smiling, happy kids in their toddler years.

I worry for these babies.

Connecticut Shooter Adam Lanza: Obviously Not Well

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/connecticut-shooter-adam-lanza/story?id=17975673

"I think the most important thing to point out with this kind of individual is that he did not snap this morning and decide to act out violently," said former FBI profiler Mary Ellen O'Toole. "These acts involve planning and thoughtfulness and strategizing in order to put the plan together so what may appear to be snap behavior is not that at all."

20/20 is interviewing students from the school. They are giving stores on what the teachers did to help save them. They are going through the days events blow by blow..

Still am completely against these children being interviewed. It's been just over 12 hours since their lives have been turned upside down. They should be home in a quiet environment to cry, at a church to pray and mourn, or at the pediatrician's office getting medical advice for their parents on how to deal with their babies suffering such a trauma. I'd rather wait for Law Enforcement to give more details than hear children, who have not had time to even comprehend the magnitude of what has happened today, recount what they heard or seen today.

40 parents (counting mother's and father's) have lost children today. 6 adults were killed. The children who were there today should not be dealing with the media! I'm pissed at the parents right now!

MOO

UPDATED TENTATIVE INFO KNOWN AT THIS TIME

Adam Lanza,
-20 yoa is the shooter who is dead via self inflicted gunshot inside the Sandy Hook Elementary school.
-per brother he is autistic or aspergers AND also that he had a Personality Disorder..
-per neighbors had shown signs of mental illness.
-he did not graduate, but rather quit school and received his GED.
-Adam lived at home with his mother, Nancy.

Ryan Lanza,
-24yoa is the older brother of the shooter, Adam.
-it has been reported that Adam actually had Ryan's identification on his person when found dead.
-Ryan was found at his Hoboken, NJ apt and taken in handcuffs for questioning by LE.
**UPDATED PER GOV. MALLOY RYAN HAD NOT BEEN IN CONTACT WITH BROTHER, ADAM FOR 2 YEARS AND IS NOT INVOLVED IN SHOOTING**

Nancy Lanza,
-53yoa was INITIALLY reported to be a kindergarten teacher and the main target of the school shootings.(update below)
**UPDATED PER GOV. MALLOY MOM, NANCY LANZA WAS A TEACHER'S AIDE@THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL**
(addendum- not entirely sure what to believe at this point due to tweets posted down thread stating LE now say that mom had NO TIES TO THE SCHOOL..so, this is still pending further info imo)
-Adam lived with his mother, Nancy.
- reported the guns used were registered in mom, Nancy's name.
-Nancy was shot in the face and was found dead in the home she shared with son, Adam.
-Adam took mom's car and drove it to the elementary school where his mother worked as a Teachers Aide.(unclear at this time whether this was a paid position or a volunteer position)

Peter Lanza,
-father of the shooter, Adam Lanza.
-Peter and Nancy are divorced as of 2009
-Peter had since then remarried and resides in Stamford, CT
-Initially unclear of dad's whereabouts speculation he was a possible victim.(update below)
**UPDATED PER GOV. MALLOY DAD IS ALIVE AND WITH LE BEING INTERVIEWED. NOT INVOLVED IN SHOOTING..**

-----------------------------------------------------------------

OFFICIAL VICTIMS PRESENTLY:
18 children victims inside school
2 children victims pronounced at the hospital
6 adult victims inside school
1 gunman inside school
-------------------------------------
27 DECEASED FROM THE SHOOTING RAMPAGE AT THE SCHOOL
+1 deceased adult female in her residence, mom
-------------------------------------
28 TOTAL DEATHS KNOWN OF AT THIS TIME..

At this time its not clear how many were wounded, but survived but AFAIK there were initially 3 injured and transported to the hospital(2 students+1 adult, the Vice Principal). Since then the 2 students did not survive and were pronounced deceased at the hospital. The Vice Principal suffered a gunshot wound to the foot.
**of note the principal, vice principal, and school psychologist were in a meeting at the time the gunfire erupted. The 3 staff members exited the room and minutes later it was only the VP who was able to return to that room having suffered a gunshot wound to the foot. When the VP and a parent who was also in the meeting were able to finally exit the school they had to walk past both the principal and school psychologist with whom minutes prior they had all been alive and well engaged in a meeting..both were deceased having been shot and did not survive**
(These details were told by the parent that was in the meeting and had sought cover staying inside the room when the 3 staff members had left to go seek help, with tragically only 1 of those 3 able to return to that room with a gunshot wound to the foot)

Issues that are still extremely unclear and am wanting to clarify whether of importance or not:

-the male that was reported to have been found in the woods nearby the elementary school immmediately following the shooting rampage??...is this just completely false info?..do we know anymore about this individual tho, I strongly believe he was in NO WAY involved with the shooting..jmo.

-Per the Associated Press the girlfriend of Ryan Lanza(the shooters brother who is NOT INVOLVED) IS STILL MISSING AND UNABLE TO BE LOCATED..
-ALSO MISSING is a friend of Adam's(the deceased gunman) ..this info also per the Associated Press..
**UPDATED BOTH THE GIRLFRIEND OF RYAN LANZA AND THE FRIEND OF THE GUNMAN HAVE BEEN LOCATED ALIVE AND WELL**
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source-20-year-old-suspect-had-ties-school
(much thanks to popsicle for posting this info and link)

AGAIN, Thanks for any clarification anyone can give me about the tentative info listed above as I understand it at this time..

TIA:)

How can we make schools safer? It sounds like this school just upped security, but still not enough. To make schools safer, do people get buzzed into a "holding" type area where they sign in? After they sign in at the office does someone buzz open another set of doors so the person can go on their way? Would that have helped?

What about just keeping classroom doors closed and locked all day? I don't know. I'm at a loss. I'm getting ready to graduate with my degree in Elementary Education and I just cannot imagine the horror and panic that the teachers felt and are continuing to feel.

What about when subs are in the building? They aren't given keys to lock doors and the only classroom doors I'm familiar with require keys to both lock or unlock.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Shooting-Reported-at-Connecticut-School-183501531.html

Jonathan Dienst and Shimon Prokupecz

| Friday, Dec 14, 2012 | Updated 10:10 PM EST
school, which includes kindergarten through fourth grade.
Just facts about the school.

He said the shooter didn't say a word.
Father of a child that was in the room the shooter entered and the child escaped.

A reverse 911 call went out to parents about the emergency.

I will be curious to see if we find that NL had some mental health issues of her own. Not, obviously, on par with AL's, but enough that she didn't regard his problems as ones that someday be lethal. Maybe untreated issues combined with insistent denial.

It would explain why she had firearms accessible to AL, despite being cognizant of his instability. Her older son has acknowledged some kind of personality disorder or major mental health issue. If one family member knows of it, then likely all family members are aware of it.

I also wonder if RL has not been in contact with NL as well as AL. He may have chosen to put physical and mental distance between himself and family members who were not dealing with their dysfunctions.

I'm speculating on this because, absent the unspeakable violence, I have family members like this, and have put long-term distance between them and me for emotional self-preservation. And all JMO.

I still can't fathom the senseless murder of twenty little ones whose biggest concerns should have been what holiday gifts were coming their way. The fear those children must have felt is gut-wrenching.

I totally understand what you are saying. Why in the WORLD would a middle aged woman (my age) have several assault weapons in her home? REALLY? This is NOT a right to guns post, I am for gun rights, and could imagine myself having a protection pistol in my glove box of my car. But what is the mindset of this mother who had this kind of weaponry available to her son who had some kind of mental health issues?

PLEASE, do not make this tragedy into your place to preach hateful messages about people who make different parenting choices than you.

PLEASE do not make this tragedy into a soapbox for telling the youth of today that they are pathetic, because they are not.

Abby, I could kiss you right now!

Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys
NBC News' Brian Williams reports the bodies of the children are starting to be removed from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado