Michigan School Closings - "End of World" Rumors and "Potential Threats"

SieSie

Reaction score
From clickondetroit.com:

Nearly a dozen school districts in Michigan have decided to cancel classes for the rest of the week.

It has nothing to do with the weather. School leaders say rumors about the end of the world and potential threats of violence are partially behind the cancelations.

Rumors about the "End of the World" and concern about what happened in Newtown, CT last week, have caused multiple schools to close in more than one county in Michigan.

Superintendent of Lapeer says the threat rumors have been checked out and proven to be false, but it is a "serious distraction". Many phone calls from parents, etc...

In the video (linked above) it was stated, "the easiest thing to do is to close school."

Michigan:
In Lapeer County, the following schools will be closed Thursday & Friday:
-- Chartfield Academy
-- Dryden Community Schools
-- Imlay City Schools
-- Lapeer Community Schools
-- North Branch Area Schools

In Genesee County, the following schools will be closed Thursday & Friday:
-- Genesee Intermediate School District
-- Goodrich Area Schools
-- Lake Fenton Community Schools
-- Linden Community Schools

In Sanilac County, the following school will be closed Thursday & Friday:
-- Marlette School District

More at link.

ETA: For the Mods - if there is a better thread already going about different school closings because of CT or the "End of the World", please merge mine... I didn't see anything that this would exactly fit in. TIA.

I heard about this early this morning on WWJ radio. "End of the world" fear wasn't mentioned, so I thought it was in the wake of the CT shootings. I think it's been a rough week for educators and students, in general, so the extra time off might be a blessing. I'm sure that staff and students don't mind the additional day or two of holiday vacation. :rose:

my concern is for the parents who had to scramble to make other arrangements for childcare in light of these closings.

We as a nation have been having an unusual week though, I must admit. CT tragedy, End of Days and the Super Winter Storm (Draco).

Guess the extra time off won't kill anybody.

there are so many kids that i'm sure have heard about the "end of world" predictions and coming on top of Newtown i agree the children may need this extra time for reassurance.

it is hard enough being a kid in these times and children have enough stress put on them.

i feel so sorry for children growing up now a days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back