Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Please continue the discussion here:

At least 26 dead in shooting at Connecticut elementary school

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...-connecticut-elementary-school/#ixzz2F3id8S00

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread#5

Thread #6

Thread #7

Thread #8

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Of...own-Victims-in-School-Massacre-183652041.html
Officials Release Names of Newtown Victims in School Massacre

Children:
Charlotte Bacon, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Olivia Engel, 6
Josephine Gay, 7
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine F. Hsu, 6
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6
Chase Kowalski, 7
Jesse Lewis, 6
James Mattioli, 6
Grace McDonnell, 7
Emilie Parker, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Aveille Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison N. Wyatt, 6

Adults:
Dawn Hochsprung, 47
Rachel Davino, 29
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Lauren Rousseau, 30
Mary Sherlach, 56
Victoria Soto, 27
Nancy Lanza[/QUOTE]

I really don't think participation in a small business would have made AL "normal." He had many opportunities to succeed if he didn't have the issues he had.

My understanding is that Nancy was looking at various opportunities to help Adam to participate within society.

If Nancy took the time to buy and register gun's for protection, why not try this route instead of looking at College to have Adam fit into Society and learn a skill with higher education, in which to become a productive member of Society and be self-sufficient, which is what I thought Nancy was trying to do.

If Adam could take apart a computer, I believe this channel would have been a more logical approach towards his problems, instead of festering in a basement playing endless hours of video games.

Nancy and Peter built a house next to the house she grew up in, may have been a sign of why the first grade was selected at Sandy Hook Elementary, Adam didn't appreciate the move.

Adam was out of his comfort zone. Moving to Connecticut and all the stranger's who were not his relatives, was overwhelming to Adam.

Was Nancy looking at going back to New Hampshire to help Adam and somehow he got confused and was hurt and angry about everything and so retaliated to send a message to the World at large?

Was this the voice that everyone would finally hear, the attention he neglected, by his shooting spree? Was this his depression, the move from New Hampshire and then shortly after, his father moves out of the house?

From previous thread:

Isabelle said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but posting on the internet does not insure privacy not does it give anyone the right to privacy. The internet is a public place, if it shouldn't be found/read, it shouldn't be posted. I agree completely with the searches!

Posting in public forum does not insure privacy, but the news article mentioned that NYPD plan was to search through PRIVATE e-mails as well. I believe e-mails are very private and personal. Why should any organization, let alone the NYPD, be allowed to peek into our private e-mails?

My understanding is that Nancy was looking at various opportunities to help Adam to participate within society.

If Nancy took the time to buy and register gun's for protection, why not try this route instead of looking at College to have Adam fit into Society and learn a skill with higher education, in which to become a productive member of Society and be self-sufficient, which is what I thought Nancy was trying to do.

If Adam could take apart a computer, I believe this channel would have been a more logical approach towards his problems, instead of festering in a basement playing endless hours of video games.

I agree that Nancy L encouraged her son to participate in wrong activity: gun shooting was apparently not the appropriate avenue to take with AL, given his OCD and inability to relate to others.

From previous thread:

Posting in public forum does not insure privacy, but the news article mentioned that NYPD plan was to search through PRIVATE e-mails as well. I believe e-mails are very private and personal. Why should any organization, let alone the NYPD, be allowed to peek into our private e-mails?

Actually, that's not what it says.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/21/nypd-exploring-online-search-for-deranged-gunmen/

“And what we’re talking about is publicly available websites, chatrooms, that sort of thing,” Kelly said, adding that algorithms could be used. That will enable us to use, perhaps, commonly used terms that are used by people engaged in this sort of activity,” he said.

“The techniques would include cyber-searches of language that mass-casualty shooters have used in e-mails and Internet postings,” Kelly said.

So they are taking known writing samples from people who have committed these types of crimes and searching for similar phrases and language on public sites.

No one would be convicted for using that language, but it might be a red flag. Just like you can't get convicted of DUI just for driving too slow, but it is reasonable cause for the cop to pull you over and test you.

ETA: Emails are mostly personal, but I would never write one that would be anything more than embarrassing if the whole world saw it. If I learned anything from Scott Peterson and Casey Anthony, it's that nothing is sacred in a murder investigation.

I agree that Nancy L encouraged her son to participate in wrong activity: gun shooting was apparently not the appropriate avenue to take with AL, given his OCD and inability to relate to others.

It would have benefitted the killer to have been enrolled in an Asperger's support group. A large therapy group with numerous psychologists and therapists in my area has a teen/young adult group for their clients. Every other week they meet together to make friends/socialize/have fun. There were probably groups like this near the killer's home too. No one should be isolated. :(

It would have benefitted the killer to have been enrolled in an Asperger's support group. A large therapy group with numerous psychologists and therapists in my area has a teen/young adult group for their clients. Every other week they meet together to make friends/socialize/have fun. There were probably groups like this near the killer's home too. No one should be isolated. :(

It would have benefited the rest of society if he was locked up in a secure psychiatric facility. When someone goes off killing children, I don't think there is anything that could have "fixed" that individual.

From previous thread:

I might be wrong, but regular mail (snail mail) is protected and it is unlawful to tamper with it. Email is public if it is on the internet since it would be on yahoo or one of the other sites that is not owned by the receiver or sender of the mail, unless you get mail from one of your carriers. Yahoo doesn't belong to me, my email lis on their site so seems it would be up to yahoo to decide whether the law can see it. A lesson is not to put anything on the computer that you don't want anyone to find.

If AL was medically diagnosed with Aspergers that would work. At this point we really don't know what medical diagnoses he had. I strongly suspect after hearing a lot about Aspergers someone did research and assigned that to AL without an MD. This is just my suspicion.

If AL was medically diagnosed with Aspergers that would work. At this point we really don't know what medical diagnoses he had. I strongly suspect after hearing a lot about Aspergers someone did research and assigned that to AL without an MD. This is just my suspicion.

Asperger's didn't cause this killer to have or act on homicidal thoughts.

Mental health promotion serves as a protective factor for mental illness (can prevent depression/suicidal/homicidal thoughts). If we want senseless random acts of violence to decrease, mental health promotion and prevention must be approached with the same vigor and resources as physical disorders have been approached.

Besides addiction, have you ever seen a national campaign to increase awareness of mental illness or to promote mental health? How about a national campaign to encourage people to seek immediate treatment for specific symptoms of mental illness? Does anyone offer free mental health screenings? There are many free BP, diabetes, bone density, cholesterol, scoliosis, cancer screenings, and others in my area, but not a single free mental health screen for any mental problem. The police are the mental health "screeners" in most areas. They are, sadly, called to screen only when something horrible has happened or is about to happen. :(

There are also huge financial limitations to receiving mental health care even if a problem is identified and is treatable. This killer didn't have financial limitations that denied him appropriate care, but for most others, this needs to change.

Actually, that's not what it says.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/21/nypd-exploring-online-search-for-deranged-gunmen/

So they are taking known writing samples from people who have committed these types of crimes and searching for similar phrases and language on public sites.

No one would be convicted for using that language, but it might be a red flag. Just like you can't get convicted of DUI just for driving too slow, but it is reasonable cause for the cop to pull you over and test you.

ETA: Emails are mostly personal, but I would never write one that would be anything more than embarrassing if the whole world saw it. If I learned anything from Scott Peterson and Casey Anthony, it's that nothing is sacred in a murder investigation.

Thanks for the clarification. I see the article actually says the NYPD plan is to search within public forums for words/phrases used in prior language used by shooters in their past emails.

Phew! I was thinking -- sometimes in jest and sometimes in angry/frustration, etc. -- that many people write off-the-cuff things like "if I can get my hands around that jackass, I'd...", etc. so it'd be extremely invasive if that was what the NYPD plan was. However, as you have indicated, that wasn't the quote -- although I could see a slippery slope occurring.

As an example, look at the Patriot Act of 2001 whereby the government can eavesdrop on telephones/library records, etc. of ANYONE they suspect as terrorists, and even since 9/11 anyone at airports can be searched for possible terrorist tools.

It would have benefited the rest of society if he was locked up in a secure psychiatric facility. When someone goes off killing children, I don't think there is anything that could have "fixed" that individual.

We don't know what would or could have prevented AL from acting out in violence. We also don't know whether a locked facility was the best course of action either as who knows, more bizarre things have happened. Maybe AL would have escaped from the locked facility and stolen weapons from his mom/others, and still gone off on a shootage rampage. Perhaps as other posters suggested, Aspergers support groups, or in/outpatient psychiatric treatment programs, etc. could have helped him reduce his rage, frustration -- whatever led him to explode in the way he did. We just don't know, and hindsight is always 20/20.

isolation is not good for anyone
6' 110# is a great reason to be hospitaized for health
in a way IMO AL needed help and was not gettng it at all.

isolation is not good for anyone
6' 110# is a great reason to be hospitaized for health
in a way IMO AL needed help and was not gettng it at all.

It sounds to me like his mother was working to get him help just before she was killed. She was going to move and put him into a school or center.
I am guessing that didn't make him happy.

Nancy and Peter built a house next to the house she grew up in, may have been a sign of why the first grade was selected at Sandy Hook Elementary, Adam didn't appreciate the move.

Adam was out of his comfort zone. Moving to Connecticut and all the stranger's who were not his relatives, was overwhelming to Adam.

Was Nancy looking at going back to New Hampshire to help Adam and somehow he got confused and was hurt and angry about everything and so retaliated to send a message to the World at large?

Was this the voice that everyone would finally hear, the attention he neglected, by his shooting spree? Was this his depression, the move from New Hampshire and then shortly after, his father moves out of the house?

Could very well be the case, especially with the fact he moved. Adam Lanza was resentful about it.

I am in agreement with you about this. I have doubts that he was diagnosed with Aspergers by a professional.

I think his problems were beyond that, though. I don't understand why she couldn't see that (even allowing for some denial as a mother).

I cannot imagine him EVER being able to handle anything more than a part-time job in a very sheltered environment (meaning no clients or customers to encounter) and a very few co-workers, and that's on the optimistic end of the spectrum.

I am in agreement with you about this. I have doubts that he was diagnosed with Aspergers by a professional.

Is it because you don't think he saw a professional or because you don't think he fit the criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni