Baby Macaws

OMG they are beautiful..I saved your site to my favorites incase I am interested in another bird in the future..I now have a Amazon and a Goffin Cockatoo..

Your birds are so cute. I have a green wing macaw since 1981 and it is a great bird and a good bird. We never got it sexed but since we never got an egg I guess it is a male. We usually refer to it as she. We never cage our bird. Josie has free run of the house and yes she can make a mess but we don't care. Josie usually stays on the Florida room on top of her cage and perches.

Thanks LDC and jbl!

Just because you have never gotten an egg doesn't mean it cant be a girl, ya never really know without having them sexed. All my babies are also out all the time.
Sasha

sharon25 said:
according to
www.redlist.org the only bird that they are selling that
is on the list is the Military Macaw.
And it's listed as vulnerable, not endangered.
http://www.redlist.org/search/details.php?species=1972

This is not true.
she is selling scarlet macaws.

The Scarlet Macaw is one of the largest and most beautiful birds in Belize. The bright colors and long life span (up to 100 years) make them targets for poachers who sell the birds as pets. You may have even seen one in a pet store where you live. It is now illegal to sell or keep Scarlet Macaws as pets, but it may be too late. There are less than 200 of them remaining in Belize and they need a large forest for their population to be successful. In addition to the population being reduced through poaching, habitat loss has made it difficult for them to survive in the wild. They are one of the most endangered bird species in Belize. We saw flocks of Blue and Gold Macaws when we were on the Amazon, but we only saw one Scarlet Macaw.
http://www.virtualexplorers.org/belize/belize_zoo.html

And From her site....
Baby Scarlet Macaw $1500.00
5 months old/weaned/very large babies
Big Beautiful Rainbow colored Macaws! Very friendly, handled by my six year old!
http://sashasbirds.tripod.com/id3.html

http://www.ecotourism-adventure.com/eco-projects/macaw-rescue.htm

Deforestation has reduced the habitats to just a few areas where Scarlet Macaws still survive. On top of it all Scarlet Macaws are highly prized in the illegal pet trade, sometimes being sold for up to $2500. Therefore, some people in certain communities adjacent to Scarlet Macaws’ breeding and nesting sites have found poaching or "harvesting" their pigeons a lucrative opportunity to help increase their economic opportunities.

Markets like this one are found all over the world. In Brazil, scarlet macaws stolen from the Amazon rain forest go for $200. In Malaysia, rare blood pythons are sold for $40. Many buyers smuggle them overseas, where they sell at much, much higher prices.

http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/magazines/story/0,6277,88457,00.html

Before ANYONE thinks of buying a macaw, and a scarlet one at that, KNOW THE FACTS.

I think this is just horrible.
I surely hope the mods are aware of the plight of scarlet macaws, and any macaws for that matter...
and I surely hope that common sense tells people not to buy birds taken out of their natural habitats that are IN DANGER and sold for hefty hefty prices.

Bhodirasta said:
This is not true.
she is selling scarlet macaws.

The Scarlet Macaw is one of the largest and most beautiful birds in Belize. The bright colors and long life span (up to 100 years) make them targets for poachers who sell the birds as pets. You may have even seen one in a pet store where you live. It is now illegal to sell or keep Scarlet Macaws as pets, but it may be too late. There are less than 200 of them remaining in Belize and they need a large forest for their population to be successful. In addition to the population being reduced through poaching, habitat loss has made it difficult for them to survive in the wild. They are one of the most endangered bird species in Belize. We saw flocks of Blue and Gold Macaws when we were on the Amazon, but we only saw one Scarlet Macaw.
http://www.virtualexplorers.org/belize/belize_zoo.html

And From her site....
Baby Scarlet Macaw $1500.00
5 months old/weaned/very large babies
Big Beautiful Rainbow colored Macaws! Very friendly, handled by my six year old!
http://sashasbirds.tripod.com/id3.html

http://www.ecotourism-adventure.com/eco-projects/macaw-rescue.htm

Deforestation has reduced the habitats to just a few areas where Scarlet Macaws still survive. On top of it all Scarlet Macaws are highly prized in the illegal pet trade, sometimes being sold for up to $2500. Therefore, some people in certain communities adjacent to Scarlet Macaws’ breeding and nesting sites have found poaching or "harvesting" their pigeons a lucrative opportunity to help increase their economic opportunities.

Markets like this one are found all over the world. In Brazil, scarlet macaws stolen from the Amazon rain forest go for $200. In Malaysia, rare blood pythons are sold for $40. Many buyers smuggle them overseas, where they sell at much, much higher prices.

http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/magazines/story/0,6277,88457,00.html

Before ANYONE thinks of buying a macaw, and a scarlet one at that, KNOW THE FACTS.

I think this is just horrible.
I surely hope the mods are aware of the plight of scarlet macaws, and any macaws for that matter...
and I surely hope that common sense tells people not to buy birds taken out of their natural habitats that are IN DANGER and sold for hefty hefty prices.
The only think I've been able to find is that it is illegal to sell WILD scarlet macaws. I'm sure the woman actually Selling these birds could provide the answers.

sharon25 said:
The only think I've been able to find is that it is illegal to sell WILD scarlet macaws. I'm sure the woman actually Selling these birds could provide the answers.

Sharon,

Where would she get the breeding pair?

I will re-affirm my opinion, that SCARLET macaws belong WILD and FREE, and are ENDANGERED.

I have contacted some sources, and will report back as soon as I hear...since this woman has mysteriously disappeared, and can't seem to answer these questions. I only wish I had found this thread earlier...

Bhodirasta said:
Sharon,

Where would she get the breeding pair?

I will re-affirm my opinion, that SCARLET macaws belong WILD and FREE, and are ENDANGERED.

I have contacted some sources, and will report back as soon as I hear...since this woman has mysteriously disappeared, and can't seem to answer these questions. I only wish I had found this thread earlier...

I do agree with what you are saying,
and obviously somewhere along the
birds family tree, one of those birds
came from the wild.

What I was saying, is that I haven't found
anything that says it's illegal to sell
babies that were born in captivity.

I do agree with you about those birds.
They are definitely beautiful, but if
we keep the demand up for them, they
will only continue to be stolen and sold
on the illegal market.

Yes sharon, they KEY is demand. As long as anyone makes money selling endangered species as clipped wing pets, there will be a problem. This is why I am blabbing my head off. PLEASE PEOPLE! Know from where and how you are getting your pets!

It is thought that two million parrots alone are legally or
illegally traded each year. More than 1.8 million parrots legally
entered the international trade from 1982-1988 of which 80 percent
were imported into the United States. More than 90 percent of the
parrots imported into the United States are probably wild caught.

The smuggler's techniques are especially cruel. First,
thousands and thousands of baby birds are taken out of their nests.
Young parrots are particularly at risk because they have
pinfeathers that hold blood. If they are not handled correctly,
they can even bleed to death. In the transportation of the birds
to the United States: people sometimes swim the birds across the
Rio Grande floating the cages on inner tubes, birds are taped
inside hubcaps and drugged beforehand so they can stand the motion
of the car as it makes the bumpy trip across the border, or
smugglers give the parrots tequila and stick them in the hubcaps,
also they are sometimes stuffed beneath women's clothing with their
beaks taped close. Smugglers with larger operations usually stuff
the parrots into wooden crates, hiding them among other cargos in
large trucks without air conditioning.

http://www.american.edu/TED/parrot.htm

NINETY PERCENT.

I SURELY hope that people thinking of buying these BEAUTIFUL BIRDS know where NINETY PERCENT of them are coming from...

As I said before, I am waiting to hear back from several different sources. I know FOR A FACT it IS ILLEGAL to sell these birds without a LICENSE.

It's odd that she has disappeared now...but when did this law about selling the scarlets go into effect? Macaws live a LOOOONNG time. Could she have had them before this?

Captive breeding of exotic birds is perfectly legal. In fact, if it were not for breeders, many species, including the extremely endangered hyacinth macaw, would be much worse off than they are. Original poster is doing nothing wrong.

What is wrong is to import any more wild birds. By the way, wild birds do not make good pets. The Belize reference is telling people to please not take any more animals, including birds, out of their natural environment.

Most breeders, by the way, do not make a pile of money and do it because they absolutely love the birds.

I have two lowly but much loved Quaker Parrots. I considered breeding Parrotlets but I would be hard pressed to give up the babies.

Bird Talk is an excellent magazine reference for these kind of issues.

Mirielle said:
Captive breeding of exotic birds is perfectly legal. In fact, if it were not for breeders, many species, including the extremely endangered hyacinth macaw, would be much worse off than they are. Original poster is doing nothing wrong.

What is wrong is to import any more wild birds. By the way, wild birds do not make good pets. The Belize reference is telling people to please not take any more animals, including birds, out of their natural environment.

Most breeders, by the way, do not make a pile of money and do it because they absolutely love the birds.

I have two lowly but much loved Quaker Parrots. I considered breeding Parrotlets but I would be hard pressed to give up the babies.

Bird Talk is an excellent magazine reference for these kind of issues.

What is not legal is capturing the SCARLET Macaw for breeding purposes and selling them without a license.
The SCARLET Macaw is endangered.
She is selling them for 1500- MUCH MORE than what they are smuggled for.
I don't agree with this at all. She has disappeared, and I don't see any reference to a license on her page.

It creates demand for the smuggled birds, it condones STEALING them from their NATURAL HABITAT.

People should understand what is happening...
The SCARLET Macaw belongs WILD, not in a cage with its wings clipped...
It IS Ilegal to even sell them in many parts of the world. This should tell some of the people considering buying these birds something.

As recent as 1989, the reported Belizean population of Scarlet Macaws was a total of 24 birds. But in 1996, a new population of over 100 birds was "discovered" south of the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary. Unfortunately, over most of its range, the Scarlet macaw is endangered, a victim of human greed - many have been taken as a commodity in the pet trade.
http://www.belizezoo.org/zoo/zoo/birds/mac/mac1.html
It is just NOT TRUE that the pet trade has kept these birds from being threatened.

Sorry I never replied to any of these post, I just never checked back here to see if anyone wrote because it didn't seem like anyone was interested.

All my pairs of breeders and babies were born and raised in the united states.
There are no laws against owning or selling them.

And they are the greatest pet you could ever have, they are more like children than animals, they talk, sing, dance, they can do just about anything you want to teach them to do, some ride little birdie bikes and skateboards.

If anyone wants to contact me with any questions or comments or just to get me to write on here email me at sashasbirds04@comcast.net

That is not really true they are really only playful as much as you want them to be, as long as bought from a baby(never buy an unweaned baby) they moreless just want to be held, petted, kissed, and talked to. They basically need some type of schedule of when they will be out and how much attention you give them and thats what their behavior goes by.

The only time they really act different is when they get about 5 years old, durring the months of march and april (breeding season). Sometimes they are more active or a little bitey during breeding season kindof like pms,lol.;)

Tanks...
I used to have an african grey. Bought him full grown.
Took 6 weeks to get him friendly...
He died, but later found out the store closed down
and the guy went to jail...Was a huge store, was even in the newspapers.
This was 23 years ago..

My daughter has 2 and 2 small(whatever there called) colorful guys...

I have had birds for many years. I have a gold cap conure born at Bird Jungle in Scarsdale, an African Grey from the same store (born there), I just received a small Quaker for Mother's Day from my next door neighbor who came from Custom Parrot Network and a35 year old Orange Wing Amazon who came to me as a rescue and who I believe may have been wild caught once upon a time. You can actually tell the babies who are born here. They are sweet, readily hand fed, speak well and crave human interaction. My old girl Pola, is hand shy, still flinches and shakes and has a limited shaky vocabulary. I am her fourth stop ( and final) stop. After 14 months she is finally able to come up to the stick and from the stick to the arm. Due to her age I believe she was wild caught when bird smuggling was at its height in the 70's. However, nothin' can beat those "home hatched fids"

Nancy

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong