Lost Missouri boy found in freezing woods with dogs Baxter & Bella keeping him warm

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Baxter, Bella protect child lost in woods near Seneca (Joplin Globe)
SENECA, Mo. — Ryle Smith could not have had two better companions with him on Friday night.

Smith, 6, of Seneca, followed two of the family’s dogs, Baxter and Bella, into the woods behind his parents’ house Friday evening, and became disoriented and lost as it grew dark.

It prompted a five-hour search that put Ryle back in his parents arms at 10 p.m., thanks to his four-legged friends and efforts from search parties from all over the area.

When Ryle was found, his two dogs were lying on top of him in a ditch, sharing their warmth with him as temperatures dipped into the low 20s.

“I wasn’t scared, I was just really cold,” Ryle said from his home Saturday. “Bella was my guard dog and Baxter was next to me the whole time.”
---
much more, with a picture of Ryle with Baxter and Bella, at link above

Thanks goodness they were with him and he was found quickly! Way to go searchers!! What a nice story. :great:

And thank goodness the dogs didn't run off away from the boy as they got further from home.

We have a boxer and shes' been with us for 13 yrs. That is exactly the kind of thing you expect them to do. They are awesome protectors and family dogs and LOVE their kids. I'm so glad this boy is safe and he didnt' get cold out there. Thank God for dogs ! :)

I LOVE this story! Thank you for sharing it. Dogs are such amazing animals, this could have been much more tragic had it not been for his four legged fur buddies!

I'm about 15 miles from Seneca. It's a pretty rough and tumble area around here. But you let just one child go missing, and - boom, there're old boys with rifle racks in their pickup trucks, farmers with chores to do, city folk who just closed the business for the night, retirees up from their recliners; the word spreads quickly, and they are THERE. I imagine search teams came from three states: Missouri, here in OK, and Arkansas, as the state line isn't too far.

I :heart: dogs.

And I love the "feel good" true stories.

SO wonderful to read some GOOD news!! My grown son has a 2-year-old boxer and, although he knocks everything over with his tail and thinks he is a lap dog (despite being the size of a Great Dane!), he is the sweetest thing! I love dogs!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back