Huell Howser 1945-2013 California's Gold

i.b.nora

I am polka dot
Reaction score
Host and creator of California's Gold, one of my most favorite TV programs, Huell Howser, died Sunday January 6, 2013 at the young age of 67.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-huell-howser-20130108,0,1021100.story

Huell Howser dies at 67; TV host profiled California people and places
Known for his gee-whiz enthusiasm in interviews, Huell Howser highlighted the familiar and the obscure all around the state. His public TV series included 'California's Gold,' 'Visiting,' 'Road Trip' and 'Downtown.'
By Greg Braxton, Los Angeles Times
January 7, 2013, 6:48 p.m.

Huell Howser seemed an unlikely candidate to become a television star — a big, grinning ex-Marine with a molasses-smooth Tennessee drawl and an eye for stories that others would pass by, such as the Bunny Museum in Pasadena and the rendering of artwork out of dryer lint.

His platform was traditional and unflashy — highlighting familiar and obscure spots all around California in public television series, particularly "California's Gold." But though his shows were focused on points and people of interest, it was Howser who turned into the main attraction, tackling his subjects with an awe-struck curiosity and relentless enthusiasm.

Howser, 67, an iconic figure in public television, died at home Sunday night, his assistant Ryan Morris said. The cause of death was not released.

Much more...

Woooooooooooowww! (in Huell's voice). I can't believe he's gone and so young. I love watching him on "California's Gold". Have for years since I moved here many years ago. Sure taught me a lot about California and its history in a fun and enjoyable way. Got me interested in the many unsung towns and places here. RIP, you were like an old friend.

Oh my goodness, a huge loss! Our family and friends just love him. What a great person.

He taught us so much and we learned about places and things we never would have. And he did it with such joy and enthusiasm. He enjoyed everything he showed us as much as he loved bringing it to us.

RIP Mr. Howser. You left the world a better place for your having been here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back