What Measures the Best Teacher?

believe09

Reaction score
The three year Measures of Effective Teaching Study was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. I think what it uncovered is fascinating, fwiw.

LINK HERE

I think it is crazy that study cost $50M though.

I think it is crazy that study cost $50M though.

LOL- but it will be worth it if the whole standardized test measure is thrown out the window. testing has to cost well over that to give every year. I read the dollar figure for one state alone is 19 million. Multiply that out to all of the states who give it...

I agree 50 million is crazy.

The study did not recommend to do away with testing, just that is should not be rated as high. The test should just make up a small percentage of the rating.

This study did not seem to take into consideration the home values of the students. A teacher that gets to teach students from families that value education, discipline, etc will get better results than one that teaches students from families that do not value education.

I agree 50 million is crazy.

The study did not recommend to do away with testing, just that is should not be rated as high. The test should just make up a small percentage of the rating.

This study did not seem to take into consideration the home values of the students. A teacher that gets to teach students from families that value education, discipline, etc will get better results than one that teaches students from families that do not value education.

I think teachers that inspire their students to love the learning process are phenomenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The three year Measures of Effective Teaching Study was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. I think what it uncovered is fascinating, fwiw.

LINK HERE

From your link,

found it was difficult to predict how much students would achieve in a school year based on their teacher's years of experience or knowledge of pedagogical technique.

bbm, Wonder if it would have easier with 100 million.

From the OP link:

But researchers found they could pick out the best teachers in a school and even predict roughly how much their students would learn if they rated the educators through a formula that put equal weight on student input, test scores and detailed classroom observations by principals and peers.

This seems a much more fair and effective measure, to me, with including the student input and progress toward goals.

In fact, some states that relied heavily on those value-added measures are already rethinking.

Louisiana has already made changes.......come on, Florida!

I do not have a citation for the article, but a few years ago a study completed by Arizona State University looked for predictors of high scores on standardized tests commonly used in school districts.

This study found that the best predictor of scores on standardized measures of educational achievement is Zip Code.

Yep.

Read 'em and weep.

(not) Laughing

I used to work in the office in a public elementary school. One of the most 'political', intense and drama filled decisions the principal makes is which students will be in a teachers classroom. The teachers lobby heavily to have certain students and they try hard to avoid others.

So in some ways it is a political decision made by the principals. If some students have very chaotic home lives and/or irresponsible parents, and do not focus well or do their homework, then it is kind of unfair to hold the teachers responsible for those students test scores. And the reverse holds true as well.

Some 'favored' teachers are rewarded by the principal with a classroom filled with the best, most academic students, and so those teachers will have a better chance of getting great test scores. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back