SC SC - Sherry Jones, 24, Greer, 1 Sept 1972

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am starting this thread on Sherry Ann Jones because with such a generic name, her case is difficult to research without a DOB. I was able to locate her DOB, which is not publicly available elsewhere.

Perhaps this can assist others to find a photo of her or additional information regarding the circumstances of her disappearance.

NamUs MP # 17106 https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17106/0

Sherry Ann Jones

No Photo Available

LKA
Last Seen on September 01, 1972 in Greer, Greenville County, South Carolina
Age LKA: 24 years old
Circumstances: Not Indicated​

Vital Stats

DOB: 29-Apr-1948
Race: White
Height (inches): 63.0
Weight (pounds): 115.0
Hair color: Black
Eye color: Brown​

Identifiers
DNA: Not Available
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available​

Bump.

I couldn't find anything on her but maybe someone else can.

I am glad that other Websleuth members are looking at Sherry Ann Jones' profile because she is one of the profiles listed on NamUs that I have been watching, hoping that they would post a photo of her.

Does anyone know if Jones was her maiden name or if she had been married previously? Is she from Greer, SC originally? Did she go to school in Greer or another city? I looked through the high schools in Greer, SC on Classmates and the only one that had yearbooks for the years that Sherry Ann Jones would have been in high school is Blue Ridge High School. I wasn't able to find Sherry Ann in the yearbooks, but she might not have attended Blue Ridge High or even high school in Greer or Jones could be her married name.

I searched the newspaper archives that I have access to and I believe that Sherry Ann Jones lived in Thomasville, NC in 1966 (the article is from January 24, 1966). Her age in the article lines up with the birthday that Carl found.

jan26_1966_zpsbf357b31.png

In the North Carolina Birth Index, I've found a Sherry Ann Jones born in Thomasville on 15th of April 1948. So either Our Sherry Jones was actually born then, or Thomasville-Sherry is the wrong one. The Thomasville one was daughter of Clifton C. Jones. Had a look, and Thomasville Sherry Ann Jones is alive and well under a married surname.

In the North Carolina Birth Index, I've found a Sherry Ann Jones born in Thomasville on 15th of April 1948. So either Our Sherry Jones was actually born then, or Thomasville-Sherry is the wrong one. The Thomasville one was daughter of Clifton C. Jones. Had a look, and Thomasville Sherry Ann Jones is alive and well under a married surname.

It's possible that Jones is the missing Sherry Ann's married surname. I really wish that we had more information. Would contacting LE in Greer produce anymore information or did they include all of the information they had in NamUs?

Missing from Greer South Carolina in September 1972,previous name was sherry Ann smith,not sure if it was her maiden last name or a previous married name!! 4/29/1948 is known date of birth! On namus she is listed as white but is part Hispanic maybe Puerto Rican!!

Welcome to Websleuths, buttons 06.

Sherry has a thread in the 1970's Missing Forum. I'll move your post over to there. Someone has shared a newspaper article form 1966, but no one has been able to locate a photo for Sherry.

SC - Sherry Ann Jones, 24, Greer, 01-Sep-1972

The sherry Ann jones in the article I do not think could be her because she did not marry George Wilton jones until 1970 according to the marriage license I found in hartwell Georgia! Sherry's maiden name or previous married last name was smith!! I am her only known child and she went missing while married to the jones man when I was almost 2 but he is not my father,I believe I can place her in California in the mid to late sixties,then in Tennessee(where her social security card was 1st issued) then in greer sc in late 69 / early 70's

Today is sherrys 67th birthday and I would just like to reach out with information that I gave as her daughter I've looked for years and have come up with a few things. I think she was born in Puerto Rico to an American mom and Puerto Rican father,I think she was adopted to a family in California whom were killed in a car crash when my mom was around 15/17 years old,I think she married in California sometime after that (because on her marriage application to George Wilton jones in hartwell Georgia on May 8th 1970) it states a divorce in California in 1967 I've looked there but in California you must have both parties name to locate a marriage or divorce!! I then believe she ended up in Tennessee in the late sixties where her social security card was issued then ended up in Greer sc (Greenville sc area which is Greenville county) she the married George Wilton jones on May 8th 1970 and I was born in September of that year,but I have found out he's not my father she was already pregnant with me when they met!! She then disappeared in September of 1972 this is the polices date but I have reason to believe it was July 16th 1972!! I ask that all of you please keep your ears and eyes open and help me locate her whereabouts no matter what they maybe!! Happy birthday mom,I want you to know that you are loved and wanted no matter the reasons why you are gone and there's not a day that passes that I don't think of you and wonder where you are and who my father maybe!! I love u!!!

buttons06, i am so sorry that your mother is still missing after so long and that you had to grow up without her. if you can, will you tell what the reason is that you believe she actually went missing July 16 rather than the Sept. 1 date? do you know who was the last person to see her? do you have a picture of her that you could share with us? I join you in wishing your mother happy birthday today, where ever she may be, and i send you a wish for blessings and peace.

I do not have a picture of her and the last known person to see her was George Wilton jones( the man she was married to at time of disappearance,he wasn't my father) the reason I believe it to be July 14th or 16th a family member of George Wilton jones stated that she had been baby sitting me that day and when she returned me my mother was gone and she was told by George Wilton jones that's she ( my mom) got "mad" and left!!the lady who was keeping found it hard to believe because my mother cared so much for me that she found it hard to leave me with anyone, so the one and only time she ever left with me with anyone other than herself is the day she goes missing!!

I'd like to say thank you to the members that have reached out to me today,my moms birthday,it's been a very very difficult day and one would think that as the years go by the birthdays,anniversaries of their gone missing day would become easier,but for me they only become more difficult!!! I've spent my days as I do every birthday,looking through all that I've accumulated over the years to see if I've missed anything andof coarse checking the internet to see if anything new appears,only to end her birthday feeling worse than I did when the day began!! Having s place to empty my heart helps,but it can't stop the tears,they just keep coming!! Thank you all for listening!! Tomorrow will be better!!

buttons06, i cannot say that i understand what you are going through, but i can say that all day today while i was at work i thought about you and your mom. it must be so hard for you to wonder year after year where she is. i am sure your mother did not just up and leave you and i am so sorry you were told that as a child. do you know where George Wilton Jones is now? i am not a super sleuth like some members here, but i wonder, did George Wilton Jones file a missing person report on your mom? and also, if you have any idea of schools she attended we could possibly find a picture of her. you are obviously a very strong person who does not give up easily and that is one huge reason that, yes, tomorrow will be better. hugs to you...

George Wilton jones is dead!! God blessed me when I was 2 and a neighborhood family took me in and I was blessed to have had wonderful parents,not all people in my situation are so blessed!! I begged him to tell me anything he knew before he and 3 other of his family members died and was told" you are not my child and I'm not telling you anything, she just left" I asked for a photo of her and was told that they were none although I did get an early baby pic of me,it's the only one I have before the age of 2 her social security card was with this picture!! As far as a police report no they never filed one and one did not get filed until I filed one in 2011,my husband encouraged me to do so and to my shock they listened and interviews any remaining family members with no luck! As far as school all I know is she was born in Puerto Rico to an American mother and Puerto Rican father and was adopted by a couple in California,they were killed in a car accident when she was 15/17 she was married in California then divorced in California in 1967 no idea to who!! I then placed her in Tennessee where she got a social security card and was linked to a Forrest croft and pearcy Webb then to greer sc (Greenville county sc) may8th1970 when she married George Wilton jones in hartwell Georgia then july14th 1972 she disappeared !!thanks for allowing me in your thoughts today,it's been great to have!!

The police are no longer looking they have the case open but listed as cold case! They wanted me to presume her dead in court and with social security office,but I will not do this because she then shows as deceased on namus,codis etc.thatmeans no one will still look!! I'm not crazy,I know she's most likely deceased but if I can find anything about her then I may could know her story and maybe find my biological father!! I'm trying to find away to get my dna into namus,the police will not collect it although the kit is free!! I'm working to find another way!! Thanks for such kindness on such a difficult day!! God knew I needed a little extra help today and he provided it!!!

you are not crazy. you are very brave to embark on such a long and difficult quest, and you should know, others have found their answers with less information than you have. i have no idea how to get your dna in namus but others here might have some ideas about that. since Sherry Ann Jones has been missing so long it seems like it would be a good thing to have your dna so comparisons can be made. i think that in order for her to get a social security card she would have had to provide a birth certificate and they would have made a copy that should be on file somewhere, then you might at least have her maiden name ... i don't know how you would go about getting that information but i will try to find out. i am glad you found websleuths, buttons06, there are wonderful, caring people here. hugs to you :)

Thanks and good night,I'll contact you soon and any info you come up with would be much appreciated!!

I am willing and would like to help too, buttons06. Not sure what I might could do to help, but I will keep a watch on this thread and jump in if I can. Hugs to you, God bless you in your search.

Thank you,to all who have been so kind,I'm sorry I've been out of touch toDay,my heart has been acting up so I've been at hospital all day!! I will fill u all in tomorrow thanks so much for your concern and help!! May God bless!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back